thinking about a g/wing need feedback

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorkler

Ave U !!!!
Reaction score
Was at my local shop and and sat on one looked it over and said maybe its for me .I have a 05 fjr . And i know some of the fellows on the site have had the wing can you give me some pros and cons about the bike please . If you want to add any think about the fjr feel free to do so . thanks . The Zorkler

The wing would be my preferred bike for 2 up, or doing lots of miles on the slab. They are surprisingly quick for their size, and handle pretty well. If you are going to be doing more twisty stuff, the FJR is WAY BETTER. I always feel like I am driving a couch when I ride a Goldwing, but I would still have one in the garage if I could afford one IN ADDITION to the FJR.

Talk to Smitty...he hated his and got ride of his after what...a couple months? :rolleyes:

BTW...How is talking about Goldwings FJR specific?

The wing would be my preferred bike for 2 up, or doing lots of miles on the slab. They are surprisingly quick for their size, and handle pretty well. If you are going to be doing more twisty stuff, the FJR is WAY BETTER. I always feel like I am driving a couch when I ride a Goldwing, but I would still have one in the garage if I could afford one IN ADDITION to the FJR.
What was said above and some people tow a m/c trailer.

Around my city alot of people own them since they are built like a Tank. But will get up and move if you want.

And since they are so heavy they have reverse drive from the starter motor. And yes the turn radius is more than a FJR.

So as long as you understand big heavy powerfull bike. And respect the bikes power on slipery conditions. You can't go wrong. In fact I was thinking of getting one. But ended up getting my 04 FJR since NO ONE in my city has a FJR.

My Yami dealer has only seen one blue onein his life & never seen a silver fjr.

So I think you all get the idea; The type of responce I get when I drive my FJR around.

Talk to Smitty...he hated his and got ride of his after what...a couple months? :rolleyes:
Did Smitty Really "HATE" his, or was it just one of the steps on his search for his "Perfect" motorcycle, which will by the way, eventually lead him back to the FJR. You just watch and see.

Was at my local shop and and sat on one looked it over and said maybe its for me .I have a 05 fjr . And i know some of the fellows on the site have had the wing can you give me some pros and cons about the bike please . If you want to add any think about the fjr feel free to do so . thanks . The Zorkler
I owned a 05 Goldwing for 2 years before getting an 08 FJR. I loved the Goldwing but it is very big and heavy compared to the FJR. Its perfect for long rides with two up. I have had people fall asleep on the back during a long run. Bike is silky smooth and much quicker than you would think. Engine is terrific; all the kinks have long since been worked out. There are no issues with the bike, its just a matter of choice. If you are planning a lot of long trips with 2 up, the Goldwing is the ultimate choice, although the FJR is excellent too! For commuting around town, the Goldwing does well but its a beast! I did a class at Willow Springs 18 months ago, and I saw a guy doing stuff on a Goldwing I didn't think was possible. He had that thing zipping through curves scraping the pegs, hangin off the seat - it can fly if you want it to. Happy to answer any other questions.

ian

Zorkler,

I have had 3 wings, a 1988, 1500; 1996 1500 & a 2003 1800. They are great bikes and more comfortable than the FJR, one up or two up. As for windprotection they are better than a FJR. When it comes to handling, a Wing is very good. I used to take clover leaf off ramps at 50 MPH not probelm with little effort on my 1800!! They are quick too with a 0-60 MPH speed of 4 seconds compared to the FJR which is 3 seconds.

So why did I sell my 2003 1800 to buy a 2008 FJR, well it comes down to what I was using the Wing for vs what is is designed to do. I was doing commuting and only taking day trip rides, around 400 miles total, and my big trip each year is to Lake George, 250 miles from where I live one way. Doing most if not all of this solo, so I really did need a bike with this much capacity. One of the worst things about a Wing is slow speed traffic situations. ALOT of bike to be in that stop and go situation solo and even worst with a passenger.

I think a great comprise would be to have the FJR for commuting/short distance touring and the Wing for long distance touring. I remember going to Lake George with the Wing saying to myself, it is a great bike to get there and get back but wished I had a smaller, lighter bike for when I was up there and doing local rides on the twisties.

So what I think is, that the FJR is a great compromise bike. I have a Givi V46 trunk with backrest and will be getting a larger shield and possibly highway pegs. I did take the bike to Lake George this year for a week and it was great going up and great to have a lighter and more nimble bike to ride when I got up there. I could take off the bags or trunk or any combination while I'm up there too which is NOT possible of the Wing. You are always carrying around that stuff even if they are empty!!

I hope tis helps with your decision

Rob

Also consider a K1200LT. More nimble than a wing, about the same weight, and kills the wing on gas mileage. The big beemer handles far better than it should for a big bike. I had one and my buddy had a wing and every time we would fill up at around 250 or so, He would take 1 to 1.5 gallons more than me.

Personally I just can't take the sit up and beg riding position of either one. Too much weight on your assinski for long days. Now if you want farkles, get the wing. You can add just about anything you want because someone makes a bracket or a relay to do what you want

Theres really nothing better than having one of each.

The goldwing is unsurpassed for long distance 2 up touring. I have the GL1500 and take a couple cross country trips per year with my daughters. Luggage capacity, intercom quality, and engine smoothness are all extraordinary. (I did upgrade the seat)

On the minus side I'd call it a close equivalent to an RV for driving around town.

I bought an FJR this spring (after a lot of research) specifically so I could have a bike to commute on for cold MN mornings and still be fun later in the day when it warms up. I'm not disappointed with the FJR.

I know people tour, even 2 up, on the feejer. After being spoiled by the Wing I think I'd only tour x-country on the FJR one up and even then I know I'd be wishing for the wing anytime the road straightened out.

A used GL1500 can be had for less than $5000. money well spent if you want to tour x-country in comfort and still have a fun bike to ride (FJR). keep it clean and nice and 20,000 miles later you can probably get your money back.

my 2 cents

I currently own an '06 Goldwing (nav/premium sound/comfort package) and just recently bought an '08 FJR, so I am in a very fortunate and unique position of being the proud owner of two really great bikes.

The Goldwing is a big/heavy bike designed for long range touring. I added an aftermarket Traxxion suspension whcih added comfort and a certain amount of stiffness to the suspension for "sport" riding. As I said, it's a big/heavy bike but that size quicky evaporates above around 5mph. It is deceptively agile and maneuverable with surprising power and torque to spare. The 6 cyl engine is extremely smooth and also bullet proof. People talk about it being to massive to be any fun in the twisties but I whole hardedly disagree! It"s a fantastic bike while carving ganyons or simply cruising the Interstate slab. Nothing, and I mean "nothing" compares to it for two up riding comfort along with the built in intercom and sound system! I'll never say anything bad about my beloved G'Wing.....Ummm, except.....the "perception" out there is that it's an old man's two wheeled Catillac. While it's seems the majority of G'Wing owners are more mature (in age), I think it has more to do with economics and buying power and the price of the bike itself over anything else. It's a shame that perception exists because the bike is literally a blast for the aggressive rider and I never had any trouble hanging with my buds on their crotch rockets in the twisties.

So why did I buy an FJR? Idk...I guess simply because I was looking for a different ride and I liked the way it looked. The more I researched about the FJR the more I liked what I read and what folks were saying on this and other forums. Most of my riding is solo and the G'wing just seemed like overkill around town. While the G'wing is extremely maneuverable around town it does occasionally remind you of just how heavy it is with poor slow speed technique. The FJR feels like a 145hp scooter to me. The fun factor is higher with the FJR and it feels every bit as comfortable as the Wing to me minus all the other built in creature comforts like GPS/heated seat/Intercom etc.

It's kind of like owning a Catillac and a Porsche. They're both nice but sometimes you want a quiet smooth ride and other times you just want the thrill factor and exilleration of a sport vehicle. Owning both is the best of both worlds! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Did Smitty Really "HATE" his, or was it just one of the steps on his search for his "Perfect" motorcycle, which will by the way, eventually lead him back to the FJR. You just watch and see.
j/k about Smitty and Goldwings. Smitty is just a bikewhore- plain and simple - :) Uses it then moves on...

I have a Gold wing and an FJR. Check out this link before you say a wing is a Buick.

I've ridden the dragon several times on my 1800, maybe not quite like that - spirited tho. I enjoyed my 03 wing for 4 years. I was really into solo ld riding and 8-900 mile days were cake on it - even with the stock seat.

It's a different bike than the fjr and its really silly to try to compare the two, no different than comparing a GS or busa to the fjr. Different reasons for buying either.

Quite frankly it got old listening to the not so original one liners - the hondalounger, buick on wheels etc. It is what it is. If you are into serious cross country miles its the bike I would choose. I remember being in a coffee shop and a customer commented about the Honda couch outside, not knowing it was mine. I asked him if he rode. Of course he rode a Harley. I then invited him for a run through the twisties against the couch. When he didn't answer I asked him maybe he wanted to see if he could keep up with me on the slab. When he still didn't answer I suggested he just drink his coffee & stfu.

Now I want a more nimble ride that I can farkle up enough to do occasional 800 mile days and I'm willing to give up the 1100 milers. Only you can decide what the best ride is for you.

alaska.jpg

The rider is excellent - weight shifting to the inside of the corner, leg out and picking the apex perfectly. Good rider on a "Wing" will beat a poor rider on a FJR.

I have a Gold wing and an FJR. Check out this link before you say a wing is a Buick.

You may have misinterpeted my post. What I said was "I always thought Goldwings were for old couples who did not want to take the Buick........"

Meaning they are a bit more adventurous, and did not want to be stuck in a cage.I did not say a GW was like a Buick. (But older folks seem to like Buicks for some reason) But comfort wise it is hard to argue a GW is not car like...

And most GW's I have met on the road seem to be couples, and they also seem to have a bit of "snow on the roof" as it were...

(I'm going to be 54 next month, so I ain't exactly a kid now myself)

Perhaps in 10=12 years I might find a GW appealing, but for right now I love my FJR too much....and so does my wife.

KM