Throttle spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all

I've just finished the mod.

Wonderful.

OK - a few tips for those of you who haven't done it yet.

Firstly - read the instructions here: Photos

1. The less fuel in the tank, the better....

2. Take the tank off - it makes the process much much easier. Even with the electrical connectors unplugged, and the tank at full extension, accessing the spring is a bastard of a job.

3. The tank fuel connector comes off quite easily - remove the 'safety' clip and squeeze the top and bottom of the connector - it pops off with gentle pressure. Use rags to collect the small amount of fuel dribble.

4. The easiest way to get the spring off is to stand on the LH side of the bike, crack the throttle a bit, and use a flat blade screwdriver to slide the spring off the retaining tang - to the right. As others have said, the spring will whip around - and voila!

5. When you are putting it all back together, leave the after bolt on the tank slack - put the nut on, but do not do it up until last - it makes the 2 hex headed bolts that secure the front of the tank go on much easier - if the after tank bolt is tightened up before the front bolts, the plastic trim will not fit on properly (don't ask me how I know this!! :rolleyes: ).

Regards

Glenn

Everyone thanks for the great detail and pics of the TRS farkle process.

I am curious though if/how one would go about winding the center spring back up should you wish to return the throttle to the stock stiffness level if you find the mod to be to weak. I would be interested in trying this mod but am concerned that it might leave the throttle too weak...

I guess you could hook it with a piece of string which is wrapped around and try to pull the spring back around, but wanted to check if anyone has actually done/tried to wind the spring back up before.

Thx.

I guess you could hook it with a piece of string which is wrapped around and try to pull the spring back around, but wanted to check if anyone has actually done/tried to wind the spring back up before.Thx.
Yes that is how I did it. But I used a stiff wire to pull the string around, then used

the string, to pull the spring.

Chuck

Just did this mod - love it!!

QUESTION - now my idle is about 2,000 RPM, does this sound right? or do you think I may have done somehthing else when I was in there?

I can pretty simply adjust the idle back down but I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem?

I also installed Cruise Control at he same time..... maybe that was the problem - any ideas??

Thanks

Just did this mod - love it!!
QUESTION - now my idle is about 2,000 RPM, does this sound right? or do you think I may have done somehthing else when I was in there?

I can pretty simply adjust the idle back down but I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem?

I also installed Cruise Control at he same time..... maybe that was the problem - any ideas??

Thanks
Dude, 2000rpm is way high. Warm idle should be 1000-1100.

Try to adjust your idle down with the adjuster knob. If you can't, the cruise servo cable is holding your throttle open. You need just a little slack in the servo cable so that the throttle fully closes.