Throttle spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I guess if I'm going to go to the hassle of taking the tank, t-bar, and heat shield off to get to that itty bitty spring I might as well do a TBS while I'm in there.

Search as I might, I can't find the pics in any of my archives. It is a simple procedure, however. There are 3 return springs on the TB's, a center, left, and right, all clustered near each other at the throttle cables. Simply unhook the center one, and let it unwind, relieving the tension. The other two will provide plenty of return tension, and as a back-up, the bike uses a push-pull cable. Ahh, I found it-arrow points to the one to disconnect. You can also see one of the side springs.
spring.jpg
Is this a picture of a pre-06? I've got my tank and heat shield off my 06 right now and there seem to be more tubes in the way and I can't see where the spring clips on.

Search as I might, I can't find the pics in any of my archives. It is a simple procedure, however. There are 3 return springs on the TB's, a center, left, and right, all clustered near each other at the throttle cables. Simply unhook the center one, and let it unwind, relieving the tension. The other two will provide plenty of return tension, and as a back-up, the bike uses a push-pull cable. Ahh, I found it-arrow points to the one to disconnect. You can also see one of the side springs.
spring.jpg
Is this a picture of a pre-06? I've got my tank and heat shield off my 06 right now and there seem to be more tubes in the way and I can't see where the spring clips on.
Easiest thing to do is to twist the throttle - you'll be able to spot the cam and spring more easily.

spring.jpg
Easiest thing to do is to twist the throttle - you'll be able to spot the cam and spring more easily.
Yes, I did that and could see the cam and part of the spring but not its termination point. There's tubes and stuff (yeah I know what a technical term) on top that seems to prevent me from having a clear view down into the tab where the spring latches on.

spring.jpg
Yes, I did that and could see the cam and part of the spring but not its termination point. There's tubes and stuff (yeah I know what a technical term) on top that seems to prevent me from having a clear view down into the tab where the spring latches on.
The spring has an open loop that comes from the bottom and over the top of the piece you see in the picture. The tab it is engaged on is open on the right side, so you can simply slide the spring that way until you push it right off. As you push it sideways (towards the right hand side of the bike) and it will come off the catch, unwind once, and re-engage as it comes around. It is tricky since there's little room to work. A small blade screwdriver should be able to get in there and give hte leverage you need.

Thnaks for the great pics guys. I was on the fence about this and finally got clarity on how and where. When the tank gets close to empty, I'll give her a go (the throttle spring that is...)

Success!!! :yahoo:

In the clear (and strong) light of morning I moved the tank back another 4-5" so I could see not just directly down onto the spring clip but could see it from an angle looking forward. I hadn't been able to see the clip when I was just looking straight down. With this new perspective looking downward at a forward angle I was able to get the job done.

I'll do a tbs while I've got it apart as getting access to those little inlets is 90% of the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello from France! We live on different sides of the pond, but we love our FJRs the same way B)

Thanks to the info in your forum, me and a few other French '06 owners released the center spring, and we all appreciate the difference :)

Call me limp-wristed if you want, but I think the throttle return is still a bit stiffer than I'd like it to be, so has anyone tried unwinding the center spring more than one time around? Does it hook itself back in the right place again? Does it make a noticeable difference?

From what I've read, it looks like a few of you have simply unhooked this spring... did these guys remove the spring altogether, or leave it there with some kind of "anti-binding mechanism"?

If you don't feel like changing any of the spring settings--get a Cramp Buster for $10.95. It really works and installs in about a minute. All the tension of holding the (excessive) throttle spring open is transferred to the heel of the hand. This was a definite relief.

They must have made the spring somewhat idiot proof. Just unhook and let it unwind and recatch itself. I haven't felt the need to loosen up the throttle....feels fine to me...but, then again, I am a strapping young lad at the green age of 34. B)
And you have an 05. The 06 is a bitch much heavier than my 05!

They must have made the spring somewhat idiot proof. Just unhook and let it unwind and recatch itself. I haven't felt the need to loosen up the throttle....feels fine to me...but, then again, I am a strapping young lad at the green age of 34. B)
And you have an 05. The 06 is a bitch much heavier than my 05!

guys pls resend the picture i cant semms to get to see the picture anymore....

Thnaks for the great pics guys. I was on the fence about this and finally got clarity on how and where. When the tank gets close to empty, I'll give her a go (the throttle spring that is...)
Is this one of those sucker them in kind of threads, or what???? I have been looking all over this series of posts AND using that fantastic, almost perfect search engine but I can't find any pics at all other than a couple on the Fred H. mod. Is the link hidden under the holy grail?

Did the throttle spring mod the other night. Nice improvement. :clapping:

Here are a few notes that help might help clarify which springs to change. There appears to be three springs. Two in the center and one to the right side of the bike (looking forward). The best spring to change is the one in the center/right. The catch for this is located at the top/rear of the axis. It took a long time to see where to pop off, but look towards the top rear. As others have said, when I popped it off, I didn't even notice it went around a revolution, but the throttle pull told the story. After this spring is done there was about 1/8" of free play before the spring engages, and slack is taken up. Not a problem, there are two other springs.

The spring on the right side can also be modified as others have done, but I choose to put this back. This was the first spring I released. The location for releasing this spring is on the lower/front portion of the axis. And when I released this, it didn't catch from where it came. I could have left this spring disengaged. At that point the throttle was EXTREMELY light, but still returning to the stop very well, so I could have left this spring off. But did not like the way it dangled in an unattached position. I am sure it would have been no problem. I choose to re-attached this spring. I did this with wire, making a loop and grabbing the hook and pulling it around and re-attaching it.

Hope some this clarifies, what is a very worth while mod.

for the gen 2 (06,07) it's linked in the bin-o-facts, also Fred H. has great pictures

search for +throttle +return +spring

or -- just go here