Throttle spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did this mod on my 06, and it was super simple as advertised. But are there some torque values to put this thing back together? I searched but couldn't find the recommended values. I left it apart at the moment. Do you guys know:
T-Bar bolt torque

Long gas tank bolt torque

Two shorty allen bolts at the front of the gas tank torque

Two shorty allen bolts at each side holding the silver gas tank trim on torque

Thanks,

Don
So nobody has the torques? If not, I'll just put it back together I guess. These aluminum threads worry me though, since I keep having nightmares that I'll strip 'em.

Don

I've got the '05 manuals from the shop manual, but I wouldn't necessarily trust them on an '06... sorry.

Of the bolts you aked about, the only ones I would worry about having torque spec's for are the ones for the T bar.

Did my 03 this afternoon and I flip the hook, didn't think it released so I did it again. It is now non existing as a return spring. I did not have to remove my tank. Only propped it up and did the spring thing. Now my throttle is for the limp wristed.

Sorry Master Groo. How should my humble question be posed to cleanse my post and make my Feng Shui good?
It is not your question Grasshopper... The encouragement of mine to enhance the bike's Feng Shui, was based on the question of "Why?"... Your bike is much more likely to exist in a harmonious state, being one with the road, and not parts on the road, if things are not left unconnected...

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally did it.i unwind the center spring and the other one(ONE ON THE RIGHT) i unhooked

totally.did two spring and it AWSOME!!!

The T-Bar bolts are the only ones worth putting a torque wrench to. The others are just "tight".

The T-bar bolts are around 75-80 ft-lbs. These keep the frame from spreading-apart under load. Very important!

Pappy

Just did this puppy. No trouble whatsoever. Took the tank off, used a spring hook and sure enough it reseated itself after a 360. Throttle feels great, too. It was a true pleasure to take on a service project without taking off all those damn plastic fairing panels. I HATE THEM!!! :dwarf:

The T-Bar bolts are the only ones worth putting a torque wrench to. The others are just "tight".
The T-bar bolts are around 75-80 ft-lbs. These keep the frame from spreading-apart under load. Very important!

Pappy
I believe these bolts are torqued to 27 ft-lbs. Correct me if I'm wrong. This is what it says in the shop manual.

They must have made the spring somewhat idiot proof. Just unhook and let it unwind and recatch itself.
I must be the idiot, 'cause I sure can't find where (and what) I'm looking for to

unhook the spring thingie (I hope I didn't confuse anyone with my technical

talk) FROM. I DID find the center spring, however.

I spent half an hour in a 120 degree hot garage tryin' to see where (and what)

to unhook to no avail. (That means I couldn't figure it out).

A little help MUCHO appreciated.

:confusedsmiley: :dntknw:

Jim

Jim, check out the pic on the first page. Should be a big help :D
:jester:
BANJ,

How do I tell if I actually succeeded? Is there a noticeable difference,

or is it just something that "seems" a little different?

I unhooked the spring, but I don't know if it managed to go around or not.

It seems to me that when it's unhooked, you have to angle it to the right

side in order for it to go around and catch that little horizontal bar thingie

(tech talk again).

My throttle springs don't look like that...(I found them by rotating the throttle)

They're actually spread out further on my '05...one in the middle, one on

the right, and one on the left, but to see THAT one, you really have to rotate

the throttle and look waaaayy over on the left side to see it move.

Anyway, I'm trying to get the center one to release.

I did hear a couple of snikt sounds, but that could just be me.

(I DID, however, get my Grip Puppies installed today...took all of three

minutes...woohoo!!)

Thanks for the help... :dntknw:

Jim

THANKS to all of you who blazed the trail, I just did the spring unwind thing on my 06 and it is good...very good. This forum makes me friggin happy :D :D :D

Just took my 06 in for the 600 mile service. I asked the service mgr if they would take some of the spring pressure off of the throttle and they did the spring mod for me. No charge :yahoo: . And WOW :clapping: What a difference! I was not unhappy with it before, but now I am very surprised at how easy the throttle turns B) This is a MUST do mod. ;)

yeah, I just did it too on my '06.

Do not have to take the "T-brace" off.

Just bend up the "jiffy pop" after disconnedt the electrical connectors.

Approach from clutch side. Hemostats and a flashlight.

pull spring up and push towards brake side - it sits there against a stop,

then when twist throttle a little it snaps around once and rehooks.

Then follow Rad's advice (see above) to tighten throttle cable.

cake.