Tire Inflation with CO2 Cartridges - How Many??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever heard the term, "golden tongue"? I'll just leave it alone and let y'all figure it out, eh?

Hi all,
Anybody know approx. how many CO2 cartridges it takes to fill up one of our rear tires? I've got the Tire String repair kit on order, and am thinking of bringing a bunch of these for inflation.

cartridges

Thanks in advance.
I had a flat last month and it took 5 cartridges to inflate the tire enough to get to a station. The first attempt with one string did not last but for ~10 miles. On the next attempt I used 2 strings due to the size of the hole, used 5 cartridges, on to a station for additional air. Rode more than 100 miles home and the repair lasted for several days until I could replace the tire. Luckly the tire needed replacement ~8000 miles on rear tire.

I did the Slappy underseat compressor mod.
CH compressor from walmart w/built in air guage $9.99, fits under the seat of an 06 nicely. I does not work on the glove box power outlet that is only 3 amps as stated already. I took a battery tender outlet from the battery and modified one end into a cig lighter receptical. It works great. If I can find my link I'll post it.

link
This is exactly right. As posted the other day, I had a flat in the middle of nowhere last Saturday. I had a kit with me with C02 cartridges. But a guy riding with me had the Walmart compressor - so why waste the C02? We plugged the compressor into my power outlet, and blew the fuse in about 1/3 of a second!!!!

He had rigged an outlet on his bike, so we just ran it off that. I will be buying the same compressor, and wiring a heavier duty outlet on my bike in the next couple of weeks. I'll continue to carry the C02 as a backup.

Speaking from really recent experience (Sunday), 2 cartridges got me to about 9 psi, which was enough to move the bike from the gas pump to the air-fill station. I considered the pumps run off the battery, but the space under my rider seat is chock-a-block full with power/audio stuff at the moment. Guess the pump could go in a saddle bag...or in a bag on top of that soon to be produced Skyway/Tanji fuel cell carrier deck.... hmmmmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the Slappy underseat compressor mod.
CH compressor from walmart w/built in air guage $9.99, fits under the seat of an 06 nicely. I does not work on the glove box power outlet that is only 3 amps as stated already. I took a battery tender outlet from the battery and modified one end into a cig lighter receptical. It works great. If I can find my link I'll post it.

link
I just did the same thing. Used my Battery Tender hook up with a cigarette lighter plug in i think i got from Auto Zone. Stored the compressor under the seat and it works perfect. First farkle, woo hoo !