Tire Wear ? What To Look For ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lincoln head on a penny ? explain
Put a (US) penny in the tread (lincoln head facing in), if the tread is shallow enough that the top of lincoln's head is visable, then it's time to replace the tire. At least that's the "old wives tale".

Ok, I have just a little over 10,000 miles on this set of Avon AV45ST/AV46ST. I have a few questions for all of you out there:

Would you try to get any more mileage out of this rear tire? Or would you go ahead and replace it?

Would you replace the tires as set or would you just replace the rear and try to get more mileage out of the front? The front has some slight cupping, but still has plenty of tread left.

Thanks in advance for anyone's feedback regarding this.

Here are the pictures:

41156.jpg

41157.jpg

41158.jpg

41159.jpg

41160.jpg

Beardo:

You're kidding, right?? :bigeyes:

Your rear tire is shot. Replace it as soon as you can before the cord start to show through. You live in Missouri, it rains, you may ride in the rain, you're riding on slicks in the rear in the rain, not a good idea. You can see that you've worn right through the wear bars and siping in the center of the tire. Tell me you wouldn't run tires in this condition on your car.

Your front looks good for a few more thousand, just like my Avons.

Yep, the rear is toast, but I've seen worse. On separate trips, when I 'used up' my Metz-4 and Pilot Road, once the first wear bars were down similar to what you show in the pix, those tires were to cords in a few hundred miles. But my Avon showed hard for a couple of thousand in the late stages, very slow wear in the late innings. I suspect that is one reason why the Iron Butt riders tend to favor the Avons.

Regarding the front, I'm mulling over MarkJenn's position, who thinks we try to milk too much out of the front tire. Is it worth the uneven wear and handling for a couple thousand extra miles on the front? Can folks get 2 rear tires use for 1 front?

Last edited by a moderator: