Tire Wear ? What To Look For ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkirk

Reaction score
:blink: I have only a little over 4000 miles on my 05 FJR and people are telling me I need a new set of tires ? The stock Metzlers still look good to me. I like the twistys, what should I be looking for in tire wear ?.

Thanks, Dan

If you see the fabric mesh under the rubber, throw them away. Otherwise ride them as long as YOU feel comfortable.

Got any pics?

How square are they?

Is there any cupping, irregular shaped wear?

My Metzlers went 10.5K. Miles. They were beat to a pulp.

FJRocket's advise is sound, but there are wear bars built into the tires on your bike. LOOK FOR THEM :eek: pay close attention to the center portion of your rear tire.

Your buddies may be getting you all worked up over the type of tires you have on the FJR right now, there may not be anything wrong with them and they may have plenety of meat left. 5K miles and like twisties, you may very well need new rubber.

The tread in the center of my tires is solid fairly widely in the contact patch. There are no wear bars there, and that's where you'll see the most wear, probably. My Metzlers were about the same. They were shot, and I didn't see any wear bars. The bars certainly area a good indicator of normal tire wear, just like the "Lincoln's head on a penny" test in the tread. The grooves just aren't always where you use the most rubber. And aren't always the reason for scrapping a tire.

I have 5800 miles on the BT020's, And the front is cupping really good, The back is shot in the center (too much drag strip and riding fast :D )

I am replacing them with the Avon 45/46 combo.

Adam

At 4k miles my OEM BT020's were seriously cupped. At 6k miles the rear was toast. Pilot Roads would have lasted me 10k miles on the rear and the first set of Avons are still going strong (I can't tell you how many miles because I don't have my records with me).

I never ride past the wear bars unless it sneaks up on me when I'm out on the road. The wear bars are there from the mfgr to warn you that you're past the point where wet weather handling can be reliably trusted. Also most tires wear faster in the 2nd half of their life than they did in the first. You may head out with some tread and in a couple of hundred miles be showing cord.

Better to swap tires when at home and the conditions are controlled (and you can shop prices) than to get stuck out on the road with little selection, high prices, and few options that don't interrupt your trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you replace them, Go AVON's. You can tell how they are wearing, the tread design affords you this.

Bikershim came back from WFO and had cord showing, due to the tread design, there wasnt a way to check for tread depth.

I think they where metzlers.

Hes got AVON's now!

(No, I dont work for AVON) :D

B) I went to WFO4 . Thats where some of the guys were looking over my tires. I will have to admit, some of that asphalt up there sure was course. Probably from the tire chains in the winter. Had me a little concerned about the wear. I had a 1500 mile ride back to So. Calif. . I had to stop in Shasta to order a custom seat from Russel.

Got home and the tires still look good to me , but I will keep a close eye out for cord showing and I will order some Avons.

Where is the best prices on Avon tires ?

Thanks, Dan

my stock Bridgestones were badly cupped and bars showing at 3500,,,

they felt squirley from the begining,, I now have a set of Diablo Stratas on,, feel great in the rain,, and I have much more confidence leaned over in turns,, they are high milage sport touring tyres,, I can easily do 1000 miles in a weekend,, so I wanted rubber that would last,,and give me grip on twisty roads,, but tyre choice is about how you ride,,, but obviously there are many here with lots of miles on the Avons,, I will try them next,,,

my stock Bridgestones were badly cupped and bars showing at 3500
Hmm. My stock 'stones still (I think??) look fine at 7000 miles. Now I'm starting to worry. :erm: :unsure:

Hmm. My stock 'stones still (I think??) look fine at 7000 miles. Now I'm starting to worry. 
Woodstock, you should be easily able to determine the health or condition of your 'Stones on the front and rear. If you've gotten 7000 on them now and you still think they look good, then I'm betting that the middle of the rear tire has a worn flat area on it. If that area still isn't worn to the wear bars that are embedded in the groove, you are OK, but keep an eye on it as it will wear rather quickly towards the end of the tire life. The wear bars are located around the circumference of the tire, rotate it around and you'll find them. Pay close attention to the ones in the middle of the tire. The outside portion of your rear tire probably has LOTS of tread depth left. I'm also betting that you know all of this already ;)

Is your front cupping? Many folks with the 'Stones (myself included) got pretty severe cupping in the front tire, which wore portions of the tire to the wear bars necessitating replacing the tire. Both my 'Stones were gone before 8500 miles, and my Avon replacements were/are fantastic. I just replaced the rear Avon after more than 9500 miles on it and it still had some life in it. It was replaced because I'm attentind the Total Control Riding Clinic in Phoenix this weekend and they mandate a minimum tread depth that is greater than the US Gov minimums.

I've got 8,100 miles on my Bridgestones now, moderate cupping on the front tire (I get a whirring sound when I turn left and right) and good tread depth both front and back (Slight flat spot in rear due to where I live; Charleston, SC, not much curvy road close). I'm pretty gentle on my tires but the Bridgestones have done a pretty good job.

I'll run past the wear bars in summer. I tell people I forgot to take the slicks off after the race. Got to tread lightly if you encounter water on the road, though.

At 4k miles my OEM BT020's were seriously cupped. At 6k miles the rear was toast. Pilot Roads would have lasted me 10k miles on the rear and the first set of Avons are still going strong (I can't tell you how many miles because I don't have my records with me).
Bounce, which do you like better the Pilots Road or the Avons?

Bounce, which do you like better the Pilots Road or the Avons?
right now they're a wash. the pr's seem more stable in a straight line while the avons seem to want to turn in a shade quicker. if my avons last 10k miles like my pr's did then it'd be a matter of price imo.

Where is the best prices on Avon tires ?
Around $230 for front and rear is the best I've found. I got them at University Motors, although swmotorcycletires has them for the same price. Gary matched the "free shipping", and he's the kind of businessman who I like to work with.

Thanks Bounce, I just ordered Pilots but was considering both. My dealer couldn't get the Avons quickly, they were on back order, so I went with the Pilots this time.