Tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Morrison

Retired Postal Worker
Reaction score
I did quite a bit of riding over the last few days and something wasnt right with the handling, figured it was just me...

Until I can to a stop light and felt that I was sitting lower than normal...Pulled into the lot at work and saw that somewhere over the last week I picked up a nail (looked like it was there for a while)..

Only 5000 miles on the tire... that sucks................

Until I can to a stop light and felt that I was sitting lower than normal...Pulled into the lot at work and saw that somewhere over the last week I picked up a nail (looked like it was there for a while)..

Only 5000 miles on the tire... that sucks................
So....plug it and get another 5 out of it !

I rode across the continent on a plugged tire but I'll not be responsible for YOUR consequences ;)

Depending on where the damage is and what the hole looks like. I would maybe just get a new tire. Yes I know sometimes plugs work and then sometimes they can pop out after a while.

At the wrong time!

I would not head out on a long trip with a plug... but then that's just me. :lol:

For full peace of mind, and to get all the mileage out of the tire, I would recommend a one-piece plug patch installed from the inside, or, if not available, a patch on the inside. Professionally vulcanized, even better.

We have discussed this many times, but many of us have plugged a tire, using sticky strings, not mushroom shaped plugs, and ridden the tire until it is worn out without a problem. It's up to you and how comfortable you are riding a repaired tire.

Well thanks to all... I think I was mostly ranting to make me get over it....

Called and new tire will be here tomorrow. Thank god that I have 3 bikes to ride...........

If it had been ridden any length of time (with low pressure) there may have been internal damage done to the tire. If it is a fresh nail (no loss of pressure) was found, I would plug it; if I had ridden it long enough that internal heat could have been realized and the tire run flat enough to have internal degradation, then off she goes.

We have discussed this many times, but many of us have plugged a tire, using sticky strings, not mushroom shaped plugs, and ridden the tire until it is worn out without a problem. It's up to you and how comfortable you are riding a repaired tire.
I would be interested to know why you don't recommend 'mushroom shaped plugs'? This British Standard actually recommends Mushroom Type plugs!

The Stop & Go Tyre Plugger has been around for a long time.

Have you had a bad experience with this?

Thanks

Don

I have heard of some Stop & Go that did not stay, as you may hear with other gizmo type plugs. IMHO, the better ones are the good old fashioned sticky 'gummy worms', but the occasional one of those may not stay too. Note, most all of the plug instructions say it is an emergency repair only, not to be driven over 50 mph for no more than 100 miles type of thing. Nothing like a plug patch from the inside, and as C&C says, provided you are comfy with the condition of the tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be interested to know why you don't recommend 'mushroom shaped plugs'? This British Standard actually recommends Mushroom Type plugs!

The Stop & Go Tyre Plugger has been around for a long time.

Have you had a bad experience with this?

Thanks

Don
Last month leaving Murphy NC, I got a really big hole in my back tire. In the past I have never had a problem with the "Stop & Go" plugger, but this hole was BIG. The "Stop & Go" plug was not holding air, so Wayne (extrememarine) pushed

it in and used a "sticky string" which held air for around 15 miles before coming out. So we tried (2) "sticky strings" which worked to get me home (around 500 miles) at speeds of 80-85 most of the way. So from now on I will be carrying the "sticky strings" along with the "Stop & Go" plugger

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive put string type plugs in tires with less than 1000 miles on them and rode them another 9+thousand miles till they were worn out all with those plugs in it. They work fine just install them per instructions and trim the excess down.