Tires-again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I'm sitting in my motel room going thru the MC boards while waiting for the Yamaha dealer to open to get my rear tire replaced. WTF am I doing wrong!? I'm reading about 11,000-17,000 miles on tires. I'm eligible for medicare next month, can't eat my oatmeal without spilling it on my bib and ride one up with two pounds of clothes and 20 pounds of tools. My rear Avon has less than 4,000 miles on it and is close to the wear bars. With the weekend coming up, I'm looking for a tire. The front has good tread in the middle but the sides look like they'll be treadless if I stay in the twisties for 2-3 more days. I run 42 lbs front and rear and don't power out of corners. I'd sure like to take an extended trip without going thru this. Ian, Iowa-whining in Alexandria, Virginia

I'm going to call Cyclesport in Alexandria VA when they open. If there are any horror stories about them, I'd appreciate hearing them-long way from home for a FU.

Rear tire life is directly related to right wrist action (shut up TDub). Those who get more life are simply less active wrist-wise (I said shut up ya pimp). I assume you know to use the AV45/AV46 S/T Azarro version of Avons?

Yup, I use the Azarros. I must be cranking the throttle more than I realize but 1/3 or less the miles that some others get is a lot. Doesn't explain the front wear though. I understand the sides going away on the chip/seal roads, but the center is half gone with a little less than 4,000 miles.

Thinking back, the Connie I had in the 80s wasn't too bad on tires, the ST1100 was worse and the FJR sets a new standard! I'm sure part of it is the better (stickier) tire compound. Ian, Iowa

I run the Avons. I typically get about 8k out of a rear. I can get a thousand miles or so on the Avon after I first start to see the wear bars. The front cups badly before it is worn all the way down so I haven't run the front one down below the wear bars.

Maybe the roads, on which you drive, are overly abrasive. Admittedly, I'm not hard on tires but I got 10,000 on the original BT 020's (and that was only because of front tire cupping; had more in them and wasn't to the wear bar yet) Got Pilot Roads now and seem to be getting good wear out of these too.

I called Cyclesports in Alexandria, VA; told me they were booked up till Tuesday until I mentioned that I was passing thru-got me in and out in less than an hour; great service! They put on a Z6 rear and in an hour it hasn't come apart yet. :>0 $238 with new valve stem, I've paid less but I've paid a lot more! I'm very happy-Ian, Iowa

I called Cyclesports in Alexandria, VA; told me they were booked up till Tuesday until I mentioned that I was passing thru-got me in and out in less than an hour; great service! They put on a Z6 rear and in an hour it hasn't come apart yet. :>0 $238 with new valve stem, I've paid less but I've paid a lot more! I'm very happy-Ian, Iowa
Glad to hear it worked out for you...now prepare for a group dogpile because you put on a Metzeler :lol:

Guys, what do the wear bars look like on a tire? I'm clueless on this.
If you look closely between the treads on your tires you will see some raised areas deep inside the treads. As the tire wears down these raised areas become more evident. Once the tread wears down to the point where these raised areas are exposed they look like bars across the tread. They serve as an indicator that the tire is mostly used up and ready to be replaced.

Some brands or models of tires seem to use up the remaining tread more quickly than others.

How warm is it where you're riding? I've noticed I smoke through Avons in a lot fewer miles in summer than in winter. Haven't heard of any other tires doing any better, though. Also seems I wear out the sidewalls on the front tire in very nearly the same amount of time as the center on the rear tire, so at least I can do sets of tires each time without feeling like I'm wasting any useful tread. Please do let us know how the MZ holds up. I very much like the stickiness/ handling of the Avons, but am only averaging 4 - 6 K per set. Getting spendy.

How warm is it where you're riding? I've noticed I smoke through Avons in a lot fewer miles in summer than in winter.
I am of the opinion that temperature has little, if anything to do with tire wear. I live in the desert hell of Arizona, and I get between 8k-14k on my rear Avons.

Right wrist folks. It all comes down to the right wrist.

Guys, what do the wear bars look like on a tire? I'm clueless on this.
If you look closely between the treads on your tires you will see some raised areas deep inside the treads. As the tire wears down these raised areas become more evident. Once the tread wears down to the point where these raised areas are exposed they look like bars across the tread. They serve as an indicator that the tire is mostly used up and ready to be replaced.

Some brands or models of tires seem to use up the remaining tread more quickly than others.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I've got 6300 miles on my 06 Metzelers and am thinking of a trip of about 2500 miles in mid October (Biketoberfest). I think I can do it and wait until next spring for new treads, but I want to make sure. Thanks again Geez!

Smoke

Thanks, I appreciate it. I've got 6300 miles on my 06 Metzelers and am thinking of a trip of about 2500 miles in mid October (Biketoberfest). I think I can do it and wait until next spring for new treads, but I want to make sure. Thanks again Geez!
Smoke

I'd be very careful Smoke,

My 06 w/Z6 Metzelers were not quite down to the first TWI bar @ 6,900 miles, It looked like I should be able to get another 1-2K out of them. Within 100 miles I had cords showing. Only 2 things between you & the pavement, don't wait until next spring.

I know the explanation was done well, but if you need a picture:

wearbars.jpg

Your metzeler Z6's have the letters "TWI" on the edge of the tire next to the gooves which have them.

With 6,800 miles on a BT020 rear, I changed out to an Avon V46 rear this week. Are you all getting about two rear tire changes to one front? The original BT020 front is just beginning to wear and cup a bit and feels fine. I'm hoping to get another 2-3,000 out of it at least. Especially since my trip to western Arkansas this Thursday will be about 1,800 round trip. :)