Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bike came with the Metzlers (04’s) which I wasn't too crazy about, but I used 'em up pretty good for about 6K miles of mostly all season, superslab, commuting. I now have about 3.5K on the Avons with similar usage and I like them a lot. Stickier? Yup, without a doubt. Wet grip? Definitely better than the Metzlers. Mileage? So far seems good.

With my relatively relaxed style of riding, I can see myself getting 7K out of them and that would be OK with me. Anything more would be a bonus and I wouldn’t try to push it much more, to save a few hundred bucks. Some people have said they have gotten 10 or 11K out of them, but they might be in colder climates. (I’m in {on?} Long Island, NY.) The Avons seem to have higher profile than the OE Metzlers so the bike seems to stand better on the side stand. (This might just be my imagination, or it could be the drugs I did when I was younger.)

Apparently, the Avons aren't marked (heavy spot) from the factory and Yamaha rims are supposedly, less than ideally balanced to begin with, so these tires can be hard to balance. The guy who did them for me said "I had to balance the shit out of them."

Other than a shimmy around 45 mph if I should happen to take both hands off the bar for a second, I have no complaints. (No lectures please, sometimes I just have to use my cell phone and drink my latte at the same time.)

I think they feel “smoother” than the Metzlers too. Still, I'm curious about the Pirelli Stradas and may try them next time.

When I was in your shoes, I checked the consensus amongst the owners (at EZboard) and I believe Avons were the best overall choice for what I wanted. It seems we have few choices compared to other bikes, probably due to the weight, performance demands and relatively small market share of the FJR. Many people are down on the Metzlers 06’s. I didn’t want to have any doubts leaned over in high speed turn and other than some people burning them up in a few thousand miles, I couldn’t find any bad things said about the Avons.

Also, apparently Avon has a great warranty and customer service. Fortunately, I haven't had the chance to experience it. Hopefully I never will have to. But it‘s nice to know it‘s there and this may keep me using their tires.

I hope this helped a bit. Good luck in your search.

The three tire choices that trickle to the top for the FJR are the Avons, Pilot Roads, and Z6's. All are good choices. I just had a front Avon wear prematurely (2600 miles), so I'm going to try the PR's next. I've owned tens, perhaps hundreds, of motorcycle tires from every mfg in the book and the only brand that I've never had a disappointment, either in mileage, grip, or handling, is Michelin.

- Mark

I have 13k on the front of my Pilot road, with maybe 2k left on it. I plan to buy another one next purchase. BTW, I didn't like the front BT 020; did last 16k, but cupped like mad. Maybe it lasted so long 'cause it was in the air sooooo much.

YMMV............Chuckaha...Mpls. :D

Virtually same experience as LetZRoll. Mez4's lasted about 6500 mi. Put on Avon's and they're better in most every way. About 3k now and they're wearing well. Ride is smoother and confidence inspiring.

I had some Avon Venom's on an earlier Valkyrie (where they made a huge difference) and had a problem with the front being out of round at installation. They replaced it immediately and stood behind the product. Good customer support.

Thumbs up from me at this point. ;)

With my relatively relaxed style of riding, I can see myself getting 7K out of them and that would be OK with me. Anything more would be a bonus and I wouldn’t try to push it much more, to save a few hundred bucks. Some people have said they have gotten 10 or 11K out of them, but they might be in colder climates. (I’m in {on?} Long Island, NY.)
I got 9k miles and 10k miles out of rear pilot roads. i sure hope the avons last at least that long.

cooler climate than lon guyland?

i don't think so, tim. been over 100 all this week. pretty typical for the entire month of august with july and september being mostly that way too.

if wondering how to mount them, do it the same way you should on any tire. balance just the rim and mark the heavy spot. mount the tire heavy spot opposite that and you can cut your added weights down significantly. the factory and 2 dealers each used 35 grams of weight to balance their "pro" jobs. using the trick of balancing the rims first, i got the weghts down to 5 grams.

I have had four sets of Avon Azaros and each has lasted 8,500 miles, the rear havng worn to or below the wear bars. I change when I don't think I'll have rear tread left by the next weekend of my average 1000 mile weeks. The fronts would last longer for me, but I'd rather change than loose another half day of a weekend.

In contrast, my one set of MEZ4s on the FJR lasted 6,000 miles.

These are about the same wear rates I've encounyterd with both my R1100RT and K1200RS. A rear Z4 lasts me 6000 miles and an Avon or Pilot Road lasts 8500.

I find the Pilot road to be a harsher tire than the Avons, much like the Metzlers. I guauge that's because those use steel belts and the Avon's belts and body plies are reinforced by Rayon. I can't say that makes the Avon "sitickier", but I'd like to point out the If the Pilot Roads and Azaros are giving the same mileage their compoind must be similar. The Avon's use a hard center compound in the rear, and a softer and perhaps "sticikier" compound for the cornering section.

My experience of riding about 12,000 miles in the rain in the past year has been the Avons were much more sure footed on the wet road surfaces of my area (SoCal).

Best wishes with your choice.

Michelin (Pilot Power) enough said,only way to go,very sticky,depends on your budget,on how often you can afford to replace them. I put them on my Triumph Speed Triple,not sure how long they will last,but they are very good tires.As soon as the new tires wear out on my fjr,thats what will be on it,no doubt.

I'm sure the Powers will work, but their design is optimized for 395-lb 600cc and 1000cc sport bikes, not 625-lb sport tourers. And you're paying extra money and a shorter tread life for grip and lean angles that the FJR has no hope of using before it drags hard parts right and left.

Like race tires for the street, just the wrong tool for the job, IMHO.

- Mark

Another reason to go for the Avons is the hazard warranty. I picked up a small nail in a 6 week old Avon and the dealer immediately replaced it while investigating my hazard warranty claim. The hazard warranty is based on remaining tread depth.

Kudos to Capitol Powersports of Sacramento for their great follow-up on the warranty. They looked into the question last Thursday and today I received a check in the mail reimbursing me for the replacement tire! (I still paid for mounting and balancing the new tire). :clap:

Have about 8000 miles now on the Avons on my '04 FJR, looks like I will get around 11,000 miles out of them, maybe a tad more. The BT-020 Bridgestones were good tires--got 10,745 miles wear out of them--but the Avons are MUCH better, great on wet roads, hold well in the twisty stuff, good wear, I see no reason to experiment further, I plan to stay with the Avons. Avons are becoming the tire of choice for many sportbike riders, my son and I have them on our GSXR's and love 'em. The key to good mileage out of them is 42/42 psi and smooth throttle control, even when ripping it up. Anyone who's done road racing or off road dirtbike racing knows the importance of smoooooth throttle control.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)