Top Trunk on Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a financial decision. I've owned one on my '04 and he held up fine for me. That said I primarily wanted a top case that 100% matched my bikes color and paint quality.
Well you can not tell any difference on my Givi case and my 10's color. It is a perfect match.

No horse in the race but when I saw the Yamaha case and my Givi case it was a no brainer on quality, mounting, and the most important, lights.

Have you seen a Givi mounting bracket compared to the plastic you are going to mount on? Yes that grab rail is plastic.

Again no horse in the race but for less money you gain a whole lot more with a Givi. And as I said my color match is perfect.

One more consideration. I didn't pay retail for it. As part of my bike purchase I received 25% off box, bracket and backrest.

That said, If it doesn't arrive soon I'll cancel the order and consider a Givi or Shad.

One more consideration. I didn't pay retail for it. As part of my bike purchase I received 25% off box, bracket and backrest.
That said, If it doesn't arrive soon I'll cancel the order and consider a Givi or Shad.
This is how I know about Givi. When I bought my 10, no OEM around and they would order it. Well I waited and read here and it still did not come. So I cancelled it and went Givi. I consider I got lucky as I so much like the benefits and looks of the Givi over OEM. That is as long as you get the 357 mount and a Givi that takes the AddMore LED light kit. It is even plug and play wiring now with AddMore!

This is how I know about Givi. When I bought my 10, no OEM around and they would order it. Well I waited and read here and it still did not come. So I cancelled it and went Givi. I consider I got lucky as I so much like the benefits and looks of the Givi over OEM. That is as long as you get the 357 mount and a Givi that takes the AddMore LED light kit. It is even plug and play wiring now with AddMore!

This is how I know about Givi. When I bought my 10, no OEM around and they would order it. Well I waited and read here and it still did not come. So I cancelled it and went Givi. I consider I got lucky as I so much like the benefits and looks of the Givi over OEM. That is as long as you get the 357 mount and a Givi that takes the AddMore LED light kit. It is even plug and play wiring now with AddMore
Ok, I'm starting to slowly sip the koolaid. Where do I go online to fine a good dealer for the Givi cases?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Givi site, they show an E228 and an SR357 for mounting hardware for the 2013. I'm not clear which it takes for E55 Tech top trunk. Can someone please advise?

I got mine through sporttour.com.

Either mount will work. The E228 works with your OEM plate. The SR357 replaces the OEM plate. I went with the SR357 on the premise that bolting directly to the subframe was stronger.

I got mine through sporttour.com.
Either mount will work. The E228 works with your OEM plate. The SR357 replaces the OEM plate. I went with the SR357 on the premise that bolting directly to the subframe was stronger.
Thank you. I could tell from the PDF files that they mounted differently, but I wasn't sure why.

For a 55 liter top case, consider the SR357. The load is much better distributed, but the mount is visually...shall we say, "challenged".

OK, I called the dealer today and canceled my order for the Yamaha top trunk. They should be mailing my refund check to me this week. So now I'm officially looking for an non-OEM unit.

I've got it narrowed down to either the Shad SH48 or the Givi E55. Whichever one I go with I'm going to have a portion of it painted to match my factory color. I would really appreciate it if any of you with these boxes on a Gen 3 would post a few pics. I've scoured the internet with marginal results. So far I have a slight leaning towards the Shad.

I'm not going to be putting too much weight in this unit so I'm going to skip the big SR357 mount and go with one that uses the current rack mounting holes. Primarily for aesthetic reasons.

Just placed an order for the Shad SH48 with bracket and backrest. Will have the top lid painted to match. I'll post pics once completed.

Thanks for all the advise.

It's not a financial decision. I've owned one on my '04 and he held up fine for me. That said I primarily wanted a top case that 100% matched my bikes color and paint quality.
Well you can not tell any difference on my Givi case and my 10's color. It is a perfect match.

No horse in the race but when I saw the Yamaha case and my Givi case it was a no brainer on quality, mounting, and the most important, lights.

Have you seen a Givi mounting bracket compared to the plastic you are going to mount on? Yes that grab rail is plastic.

Again no horse in the race but for less money you gain a whole lot more with a Givi. And as I said my color match is perfect.
Could you send me a photo of your Givi rack? I am in the process of putting something on the back of my FJR 08 as my wife is going to quit riding single and I want to be able to put her on the FJR to see how that will work for trips and short jaunts. I will probably continue to use the FJR two up sometimes for short jaunts but if we decide she want to continue to ride behind I will put a Wing in the Stable. So removability is important for whatever I decide to put on the back. Plus I want her to feel safe and comfortable. I would appreciate discussing this with you and seeing what you are using. You can call me at 208-659-4450 or e-mail me at [email protected].

I am also shopping top cases. Like CopB8 said earlier I am interested in the best match, both color and style, for the 2013.

Bobs Motorsports out of Canada has the 50L OEM case for $750. I verified with my dealership, and other dealers, in the Dallas metroplex and they said that they won't be stocking them in the states for at least 3 more months.

So.... The Givi E55 Monokey is priced around $350 - so worth looking at.

My biggest issue is I would like the case color to match the bike. Is the plastic textured, can it be painted to match the color of the bike and look decent? Don't think I have seen any pictures of a painted Givi case.

Revzilla has a good videio of the E55 Monokey

Can't comment directly regarding the E55, but my V46 Tech Case has a textured (embossed) surface...luckily it goes well with my '09!

Any competent painter should be able to do the work for you although it's not going to have a smooth finish. I also have not seen any painted Givi's other than with the color matched insert on the V46.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

--G

FWIW this was also a warning on the 50L topcase page... not sure why, but Yamaha seems to be spooked about it.

--- "Please note - the 50L Top Case Touring is a stand-alone product and it is not recommended that it is installed and used with the available Yamaha Side Cases"

Personally I don't know why you would spend north of $500 to get a factory case that doesn't have brake/tail light capability and isn't locked down as tight as a GIVI SR357 mount.

...just sayin'.
fool.gif
+1

Why I canceled my 10 top case and went to Givi and AddMore light kit. Why would you put a case on with no tail or brake lights, a piss poor mounting system and spend more in the long run? Any aftermarket top case and lights is better then OEM. And after seeing OEM breaks on top cases, no thank you.