Traffic Light Trigger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

Reaction score
I just got one of those triggers but the instructions were pitiful. Any thoughts on where and how to mount it? I haven't looked unther the bike yet but I figure I'll just tywrap it to the center stand.

I zip tied mine to the lower link of the rear shock. This positions it parallel with the ground. No bike right now, or I would post you a piccy.

I too just got one for my '05; that's where I was planning on attaching mine (i.e. tie wrapped to the centerstand)...I'm currently using one on my old bike, (a Suz GS1100) in the same position, with good results. Skyway's idea sounds good as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't actual real-life, non-biased reviews of all these things turned up the fact that they're all snake-oil?

I tried it and it works on some stop lights and not others, I am talking about the stop lights that did not work before I put on the light trigger.

For what ever it is worth, it does work on some....

I read some of those reviews but there are a couple of lights right near my house that don't work, ever, so I figured I give it a go...

I'd even like to simply see a test of "signal strenth" on a standard traffic loop with and without one, and a comparison between car/motorcycle/bicycle/etc, to judge how much it increases sensitivity. For example, if a Honda Accord is a 100, and an FJR is a 30, do these make it a 31 or 70, and is a Honda 250 Shadow a 29 or 9. Anecdotes are fine, from personal use is really subjective and unreliable (in general)

Some have said by hitting the starter when going to a control light may work, the general rule is that if it does not change in two cycles, I would think it is not an issue for you to run the red light safely and justify your action.

I have two more post before I hit a 100, this is going to take me years to get up to the number of post that I have in the other forum. Maybe is time to pick a fight with someone on this forum! :D

Here's something that has worked for me a lot of the time that I picked up from the old board. While the bike is positioned over the sensor rails... push the center stand down until it touches the road a couple of times.

I have the Green Light trigger. Been on the centerstand for a couple of years now. If it does work, I don't think it does much. I sometimes flip the centerstand down also. The lights around my house are not very sensitive, so I plan my route to avoid, if possible.

Many times, if possible, I will try to let a 4-wheeler get in front, so they will trigger the light. Sometimes if I'm at a doubtful light and a 4-wheeler is stopped waaay back behind me, I'll motion for them to come up closer. Many people just don't know what makes that green arrow light up :rolleyes: Of course, I might be courting trouble doing this.

My honest opinion is that these gizmos are slightly more effective than deer whistles...

Sometimes if I'm at a doubtful light and a 4-wheeler is stopped waaay back behind me, I'll motion for them to come up closer. Many people just don't know what makes that green arrow light up :rolleyes: Of course, I might be courting trouble doing this.
Yea, I've done that too, and I'm always really nervous doing it. I try to point at the ground behind me and at the light to hint to them what I mean.

Here's something that has worked for me a lot of the time that I picked up from the old board. While the bike is positioned over the sensor rails... push the center stand down until it touches the road a couple of times.
I'll give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

I have one of those super powerful magnet deals stuck to the bottom of my fairing right under the radiator. It does trip a signal that I could not trip before. But one signal does not a scientific test make. I sure would like to see a real test done on these devices to tell for sure if they do anything. :huh:

Here's something that has worked for me a lot of the time that I picked up from the old board.  While the bike is positioned over the sensor rails... push the center stand down until it touches the road a couple of times.
I'll give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

They're not snake oil; they're rare earth magnets. I've got a Green Light trigger tie-wrapped to my centerstand. It doesn't trigger one light I encounter on a semi-regular basis and it only triggers another intermittently, but it gets all the others including four that I know (past experience) the bike alone wouldn't trigger.

Charles, have you tried the "center stand trick"? It has worked for me. I'd be interested to know if it works at a light you've had trouble with.

Hint: Make sure you are at the "side" of the loop, rather than being in the center of the loop, so you present a larger target across the arc of the loop.