Trampoline Concerns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRSTAR

Fuggin' Just Ride the best sport-tourer on the
Reaction score
For anyone who have had a trampoline for their kids, I have a 12 yr. old daughter and a 13 yr. old son that really, really want a trampoline for Christmas.

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of having a trampoline?

We have had a Tramp. for a couple of years.

I have 2 daughters, one is 13 and the other is 3.

They both love it.

The youngest ask everyday to go jump, she will wear you out with that thing.

At First , only with an adult present (2-6 months).

The kids don't understand the physics involved.

It takes some time for them to understand, so an adult needs to be present in order to anticipate what the kids can't comprehend.

After working with them, we have had no issues to date and generally we don't even give it a second thought anymore.

Course now we are doomed.

Establish house rules or there will be trouble.

Neighborhood kids are not allowed unless their parents have given permission to me or my wife.

No more than 2 kids at a time.

Stuff like that.

With a little supervision and a little common sense, you guys will love it.

Great workout.

Mark

:hyper:

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of having a trampoline?
Have you EVER seen "funniest <_< home videos"?

Geez...I would never buy a tramp after seeing those misadventures!

Then again, my wife tells me that a mcy is dangerous, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one about 5 years ago. Made a rule that only one person at a time could jump on it. Never had a problem. It also serves as a hammock. My home owner's insurance company grumbled about it a couple of times This year I took it down. The padding has worn through and the kids have pretty much out grown it. The ones they sell now have a fence type of guard around them. Not sure how that works but I didn't have that on mine.

To Mike and others,

Thanks for your responses and .....

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukah and a Happy, healthy New Year to you and yours.

My family had a "tramp" when I grew up. I only got hurt twice. Both times involved jumping from the roof, to the tramp, to the pool. Perhaps you should make sure you keep the tramp adequately secured to the ground so your kids can't move it to more exciting places ;-)

Better check with your homeowners insurance. I've known of two people who had the choice of keeping the trampoline or keeping their insurance. Guarantee that once a neighbor kids gets injured you will find yourself on Judge Judy :eek:

Can't say I like the looks of them from a neighbor standpoint. They get used for a while, then go idle and deteroriate in the elements.

Look like shit, I think. But then, I can't stand kids, anyway. Especially teenagers. No driving, cell-phone text messaging, booming bass music, smart-ass know-it-alls. :D

I'll second the comment on H.O. insurance and the very real possibility of a neighbor kid gettting hurt and his or her parents suing. Having said that, I think they're great, BUT . . .

I screwed around on a neighbor's tramp as a kid without getting unlucky. Later, in my seriously skiing addicted days, I was into freestyle skiing (primarily mogul skiing) and during my last two years at the Univ. of Nevada at Reno, I augmented the ski team ski conditioning classes with trampoline classes. Don't recall the coach's name, but he had been an NCAA trampoline competitor who had broken his back in competition, which ended his competitive career, but the guy was REALLY good. We all first learned about fundamentals, how to avoid getting hurt, and how to train to take on more difficult tricks. To get to anything more advanced than back drops, knee drops, etc., we had to demonstrate that we could competently perform all those moves first. Having been through those classes and having my eyes opened, I'd highly recommend finding a coach to start them properly and teach your kids the basics, which are the building blocks for recovery and safe landings when you get out of shape in the air (like being under-rotated in a flip).

And then I'd make sure that you set rules about your kids and others who use the trampoline. (That'd probably include getting a form for assumption of the risk, indemnity and hold harmless signed by parents whose kids know about and will give permission to their kids to use the tramp.)

Having said all that, I'd love to have one -- absolutely GREAT exercise and a lot of fun.

No tramps for me..I prefer something safer, like filling a swimming pool up with foam then jumping the bmx bike off the roof into the foam pit.. :(

I screwed around on a neighbor's tramp as a kid without getting unlucky.
So, you wore a condom !?!

Tramamoline, Tramampoline, Trampampoline !!! - Homer Simpson