trip 4-22 to 4-26 Hill country

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottsbmw

Reaction score
I am looking for some Texas hill country information, roads, camping, must see sites, etc... I am leaving Friday or Sat 4-20 0r 4-21 and want to explore and ride this area. I have never been in this part of Texas and the average temps look good. So anyone have any must see's or must ride roads, or anybody want to ride for a few days shoot me a PM or email at [email protected]

Thanks Scott Maire

:yahoo: I get to ride and ride and ride and then ride some more :yahoo:

I am looking for some Texas hill country information, roads, camping, must see sites, etc... I am leaving Friday or Sat 4-20 0r 4-21 and want to explore and ride this area. I have never been in this part of Texas and the average temps look good. So anyone have any must see's or must ride roads, or anybody want to ride for a few days shoot me a PM or email at [email protected] Scott Maire

:yahoo: I get to ride and ride and ride and then ride some more :yahoo:
You might try FM1431 from cedar park to marble falls, also FM 337, 335 then 336 starting in Medina. Maybe make a stop in Luckenbach.

The holy Trinity 335/336/337. Also, in Bandera, there is the Spring Fling happening...11th St. Cowboy Bar is gonna be hopping. We'll be down there with around 250 bikes for our 4th Annual Oilmans Hill country ride. Rally spot is a ranch just south of Kerrville on Hwy 16 (4-T Ranch). Ride Safe!

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Watch yourself down there. Look for the gravel and dirt washed onto the road mid-turns. Also, I think it's 336? You'll find cattleguards across the road surface. Not a big deal really as long as you know they're coming. Great riding down there. Have fun!

There is a tremendous amount of good riding in the hill country. A good source is the local Texas motorcycling board - www.twtex.com. Use the search feature, there has been many a discussion about where to ride, where to stay, where to eat.

Along with the aforementioned gravel, low water crossings can be hazardous during the spring rainy season. A low water crossing is an inexpensive bridge across a creek. When the water is up, it sometimes flows across the road surface. If the road has been covered for more than a day or two, algae begins to grow. It is as slick as black ice and extremely hazardous to motorcyclists and bicyclists. I've almost fallen walking a bicycle across, wouldn't even try riding the moto.

OK, lecture over. Let us know your tastes and budget in food and lodging so we can make some recommendations.

- JimY

OK, lecture over. Let us know your tastes and budget in food and lodging so we can make some recommendations.

- JimY

I camp and and hit the mom and pop cafe or what ever. The problem today my riding buddy started questioning the distance of flat straight road to get to the hills so I may be going solo. Thanks for all the replies

- JimY

I camp and and hit the mom and pop cafe or what ever. The problem today my riding buddy started questioning the distance of flat straight road to get to the hills so I may be going solo. Thanks for all the replies
I live south of Houston, Tx. and it takes me about six hours on the FJR to get there so I know the feeling of riding flat straight. But when you get there, it will definitely be well worth it. Be careful with deer in the evenings and the gravel in the corners. Check the Frio Canyon Motorcyle Stop in Leakey. Check out the Stonehenge replica in Hunt.

https://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/Sout...t/TX/TX_3.shtml

https://www.ncgypsymc.org/rides.html

https://www.lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
- JimY

I see you have about an eighteen hour ride to Kerrville. Wow, good luck and have a safe ride. I will be in Kerrville with the family Saturday and Sunday for my wife's grandmother's 90th birthday celebration get-together. I wish I were taking my FJR... :( Oh well, maybe next time. Also stop in Llano at Cooper's BBQ for some good eatin'. Check out Willow City Loop as well.

1st - watch for deer all the time while in the hill country.

2nd - go out north of Fredericksburg to Enchanted Rock - a very large granite dome, 3rd largest in world.

3rd - while out north of Fredericksburg, just east off HW 16 is the "Willow City Loop" - take that scenic ride.

Willow City is OK, traffic can get surprisingly backed up during bluebonnet season. Harry's on the Loop is the sole business. If the weather is sunny there'll be a bunch of cruiser riders hanging out drinking beer. Stopping is optional, the food ain't much to write home about and Harry is the rudest, crudest SoB I've ever encountered. Foodie friends have told me there's decent grub at the Not in the Loop cafe down 1323 near 16.

Old Spanish Trail (OST) in Bandera is another M/C spot. Basic greasy spoon restaurant.

The food at the motorcycle museum is actually quite decent. Worth a stop, lots of interesting stuff in the bike collection.

I favor Fredericksburg for food & entertainment. The only camping I know of is a KOA several miles outside town - I'm more of a hotel kind of guy. If the weather is nice, Altdorf is a nice beer garden with good food. The brewpub has decent beer, but the food has always been rather hit & miss. Auslander has good beer, but the food is better at Altdorf.

Got a route down to the hill country yet? Hwy 16 is actually a decent ride from the south-west side of DFW.

- JimY

Latest posts