Unplanned Get Off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
Some guy in a Ford F150 Crew Cab decided to run into me last night. I was not hurt except for some minor bruises and scrapes. My FJR on the other hand didn't get so lucky. I have called my insurance and they said it would be middle of next week before I heard anything. I'm just curious of what to expect. Do you guys think it will be totaled??? The frame (or sub frame, not sure) right over the handle you use to lift the bike onto the center stand is broken on both sides. The Aluminum brace that the seats attach to is broken. And all the other obvious damage...

Sorry I couldn't figure out to put the pictures directly in the post...

https://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz158/rhouse18/IMG_0063.jpg

https://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz158/rhouse18/IMG_0062.jpg

Let me guess...he didn't see you, right? Glad you're okay otherwise. I have no idea what to expect, but help will be along soon.

Phixed. :)

Sorry I couldn't figure out to put the pictures directly in the post...

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

If you broke frame most likely a total. My friends 2007 FJR was totalled by ins when he dumped it and cracked frame in front by front forks. FYI make sure if you have extras on MC you take pics and let ins company know you want them to add that cost to the check they cut you if they fix or total the bike. By a new one I like silver better anyway. If they fix it buy some D&D exhausts just put mine on and I can say that they are very loud thier web site does them NO Justice on sound.

Maybe. Maybe not.

The rear subframe is a seperate thing from the main frame, so it could be replaced f that is all that is cracked. If.

But the bike took a good whack. It may be a total even if the main frame is good. Lots of hidden damage possibilities.

Glad you weren't hurt badly. Good luck with the insurance co. If you will be dealing with his co., I would demand a new bike. Get a lawyer if they give you a hard time. :angry:

Your in one piece :yahoo:

I see a back end hit. so I would say if its totaled by the INC Co. SAVE/buy back the bike for salvage. Engine, front end, all the rest

First, I'm glad you're not injured badly, and are able to post !! Scary Stuff !!

Your bike -

Rear wheel -

Rear subframe -

A good chance the relay arm snapped off one or both of the mount tabs on the bottom of the engine case -

Swing arm possibly cracked -

Shock possibly bent -

Left can (possibly headers?)

Tail plastic

Tail light

left side plastic -

Forks straight?

Numerous other bits and pieces no doubt hosed.

Sorry to say - but I'd say it's probably gonna be totaled. You got whacked pretty good - glad you're ok.

So sorry to hear of your get off and glad your not worst off. It looks totaled, I got hit from the rear on my 2000 Honda ST1100 and it bent the rear wheel like yours and the frame was bent, get checked out by a Chiropractor or your MD to make sure your OK, you may not feel anything now but stuff can show up from your hit 6 mo down the road, also the other party's insurance should cover all your riding gear damage. even if it's a scratch they should pay full retail + tax. you have 3 years to close your medical out, so make sure your fully recovered before you settle your medical, other wise your SOL if something shows up after you close your case. Do not have your conversation recorded by the other insurance company, tell them you will send them a writen statment on what happened. if there insurance is not working with you get a lawyer, good luck on getting your bike and gear replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I'm glad you're not injured badly, and are able to post !! Scary Stuff !!

Your bike -

Rear wheel -

Rear subframe -

A good chance the relay arm snapped off one or both of the mount tabs on the bottom of the engine case -

Swing arm possibly cracked -

Shock possibly bent -

Left can (possibly headers?)

Tail plastic

Tail light

left side plastic -

Forks straight?

Numerous other bits and pieces no doubt hosed.

Sorry to say - but I'd say it's probably gonna be totaled. You got whacked pretty good - glad you're ok.
Agree with all the above, both that you are ok and the bike isn't. A whack like that drove the shaft and arm forward pretty darned violently.

if you saw or suspect cell phone involvement, your attorney can subpoena his cell phone record or petition a court to do so. but this looks straight forward enough for insurance to just pay on, IMHO.

There's such a thing as a planned get-off??!?!?! :D

Looks like you were rear-ended? Lots of force being transmitted through lots of expensive bits. That wheel can throw the swingarm one way or the other, which might have tweaked the frame at the swingarm pivot. All conjecture, and would require measurements, but even if it's "just" wheel, tire, rear subframe, and some bodywork and lights, it's gonna run into a significant number.

The insurance co is going to add the repair cost if its even repairable at all and then factor in the salvage value. My guess is your getting a check and not a trip to the repair shop. Plus you should want it totalled because ask yourself if you want to ride around on a 145 hp two wheeled gyro-scope that has been twisted to hell and then back.

My answer would be to tell them to come and pick up their wrecked bike and dont mess with me on the number.

Number one thing is never tell them everything is o.k. they will try to get the upper hand and will use every word you say as an opportunity to pay you short. If it is in fact 100% the other drivers fault, then they only are obligated to make you whole on your property loss and possibly pay for and compensate you for injuries.

If they start dicking you around on the phone, tell them that you are unable to stay on the line due to a very stinging pain in your spinal area and possibly your neck. tell them that the pain forces you to have your lawyer finish up the conversation because the pain level makes it impossible for you to continue on your own.

The next words you will here are, the checks in the mail and exactly where is our bike.

The insurance co is going to add the repair cost if its even repairable at all and then factor in the salvage value. My guess is your getting a check and not a trip to the repair shop. Plus you should want it totalled because ask yourself if you want to ride around on a 145 hp two wheeled gyro-scope that has been twisted to hell and then back.

My answer would be to tell them to come and pick up their wrecked bike and dont mess with me on the number.

Number one thing is never tell them everything is o.k. they will try to get the upper hand and will use every word you say as an opportunity to pay you short. If it is in fact 100% the other drivers fault, then they only are obligated to make you whole on your property loss and possibly pay for and compensate you for injuries.

If they start dicking you around on the phone, tell them that you are unable to stay on the line due to a very stinging pain in your spinal area and possibly your neck. tell them that the pain forces you to have your lawyer finish up the conversation because the pain level makes it impossible for you to continue on your own.

The next words you will here are, the checks in the mail and exactly where is our bike.

It sounds like you have been there?

The next words you will hear are, "the check's in the mail and exactly where is our bike?"

It sounds like you have been there?
He sure is making it sound that way. Wonder how his neck is doing? Permanent injury?

Like everyone else glad you are ok, the bike is gone. Wish you were closer I would help you take parts off to sell. The engine and tranny are what you really want. Head lights and front tire are good. If forks are straight keep them along with front discs and of course the ECM and anti lock computer. Good luck go after cell ohone records like said before and demand new bike do not take NO for an answer.

Like everyone else glad you are ok, the bike is gone. Wish you were closer I would help you take parts off to sell. The engine and tranny are what you really want. Head lights and front tire are good. If forks are straight keep them along with front discs and of course the ECM and anti lock computer. Good luck go after cell ohone records like said before and demand new bike do not take NO for an answer.

I appreciate all the thoughts. Today has been the worse of the soreness. Hopefully tomorrow it will start to subside some. I took a bunch of pictures but the forum would only let me post 2. I don't know how to post them in the post here (someone can explain). I tried to pick 2 that showed most of the damage but there is more that you can't see in these pics. Yes, I hope they total it. The last thing I want to deal with is a wrecked bike. No telling what gremlins will keep creeping up and the resale/trade in value will be horrible. I have progressive insurance and have up to $3k of coverage for accessories. I don't have that much but enough to make a bid dent in that amount. I'm now wondering if they will just cut me a check for the amount of the accessories or not because they were not damaged... If not then I'll then want to remove all of them which will require taking whats left of the bike apart. I'm not sure if they will like that or not but they will have to get over it huh. I guess I'll find out about that next week...

By the way, has Yamaha fixed the ground spyder problem on the 2010/11 models???

Last edited by a moderator: