Upgrade to '08?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its really our choice, Randy. There have been several who have upgraded. Some of those whose bikes DID have heat issues traded up. Some have moved up because they could...and have reported they happy they did.
I am happy with my '05. Personally, since upgrading the forks last year before WFO, its a new bike. I did the Wilbers group buy 2 years ago...the upgraded fork springs are an amazing improvement. If I had the money and the commensurate "itch"? Maybe, just because I could....but probably not. ;)

I'd bet the next likely time line for a major model change wound be 2010.(Gen III?) That might be the "smart money" time to buy a new one.
So, you're saying that if I don't get the black one, I'm gonna be faced with this decision again next year since there won't be a major change? Yer killin me!!!!

If you want it buy it. I upgraded from an 05 to 07 and was not disappointed. However I did not have alot of farkles on it, but I did have the 05 for two and half years. After I brought the 07 home I was worrying about selling the 05 and the lovely wife told me to keep them both. Who else has a wife like that?
I don't have the disposable income to get everything I want. I bust my tail for every penny I have and, beyond the occasional impulse buy or trip to Atlantic City, I'm pretty tight with a buck. I don't have the luxury of being able to keep both - just ain't gonna happen. I'm looking for the reason to upgrade vs update and it's just not there yet.

When I was at the shop sitting on the '08, I happened to hold the front brake lever and push on the forks a bit and I could swear I felt a little play in the steering head. Maybe that's the sign from the FJR gods that I don't need to upgrade just yet????

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as i like the Raven, It just looks to much like the same bike to justify buying it.

I would rather get something else so i could keep both..... dirt, dual sport or true sport bike

I'm completely happy with my 05 and in many ways, prefer it to the later models (cleaner dash, shorter gearing, unlinked brakes, less weight). That being said, I certainly would love to have a new one and some aspects of the Gen II bikes are very nice such as the heat problem upgrade and better ABS brakes on the 08s. And if I had a bike that was seriously tired (either due to miles, hard use, crashes, or being unlucky with the ticking issue) that would change things quite a bit. But with 18K, I feel like mine is just getting broken in.

The problem is the farkles I've made which would return pennies on the dollar at trade-in time and require lots of time/money/effort to upgrade the new bike. So I'm going to hang on for at least another 2-3 years and see if we the next generation from any of the big four makes a big enough step to entice me - there's just not enough of a jump in the Gen I > Gen II bikes to justify the cost and trouble. I'm looking for major changes to do the deed: 6-speeds, displacement, much better ground clearance, more advanced electronic systems, integrated GPS, etc.

I'm always a little mystified when I hear owners saying that the Gen II bikes are the only ones worth owning, although everybody is entitied to their opinion.

- Mark

Randy, just upgrade the suspension and toss some paint at it, if you must. At your mileage the bike isn't even broken in yet. Buying a new FJR would be a total posuer move. Like it's really going to change anything about your riding experience to just buy a newer version of the same bike!

Admit it, you're just suffering from some NBL, (New Bike Lust). It's normal. It's ok. But don't let yourself waste any good cash that you could be spending on tires and gas to ride in the coming year. 7k! Even if you spend 1/10th that on fork upgrades, that still amounts to an awful lot of tires and gas you'd be pissing away for something new. You're gonna need all your extra cash for gas this summer!

Its really our choice, Randy. There have been several who have upgraded. Some of those whose bikes DID have heat issues traded up. Some have moved up because they could...and have reported they happy they did.
I am happy with my '05. Personally, since upgrading the forks last year before WFO, its a new bike. I did the Wilbers group buy 2 years ago...the upgraded fork springs are an amazing improvement. If I had the money and the commensurate "itch"? Maybe, just because I could....but probably not. ;)

I'd bet the next likely time line for a major model change wound be 2010.(Gen III?) That might be the "smart money" time to buy a new one.
So, you're saying that if I don't get the black one, I'm gonna be faced with this decision again next year since there won't be a major change? Yer killin me!!!!

If you want it buy it. I upgraded from an 05 to 07 and was not disappointed. However I did not have alot of farkles on it, but I did have the 05 for two and half years. After I brought the 07 home I was worrying about selling the 05 and the lovely wife told me to keep them both. Who else has a wife like that?
I don't have the disposable income to get everything I want. I bust my tail for every penny I have and, beyond the occasional impulse buy or trip to Atlantic City, I'm pretty tight with a buck. I don't have the luxury of being able to keep both - just ain't gonna happen. I'm looking for the reason to upgrade vs update and it's just not there yet.

When I was at the shop sitting on the '08, I happened to hold the front brake lever and push on the forks a bit and I could swear I felt a little play in the steering head. Maybe that's the sign from the FJR gods that I don't need to upgrade just yet????
Just keep the one you have and upgrade it all you want. Stay out of the cycle shops and just live and be happy with what you have. Don't buy the new one if it will put you in a financial bind or stop you from riding as much as you want. There settled for you, just stay out of the cycle shops. If you want black paint yours, it is cheaper than buying new.

Oh, TWN, some of us are not in the USA!Try telling this guy the '01 doesn't count.

The red one is his '01, the silver is my '06. Picture taken in Scotland, August this year.
I'm simply saying that anything that we cannot get here does not exist - to us. Besides, you bastidges get all the good stuff! :glare:

If the heat on your '04 doesn't bother you (I assume you must live in Alaska or along the Canadian boarder?), and you don't particular like spending money... just for the heck of it, I'd say keep your '04. The only reason I upgraded from a '05 to an '07 was the heat issue. If it wasn't for that my '05 would still be sitting in my garage. You see, my '05 talked to me too. It would say, "It's 90 degrees outside. Hop on and I'll show you what 150 degrees feels like!" :diablo:

My '07 doesn't talk much... it just purrrr's along in a cooler fashion -> but with minor differences (and minimal heat) it's the same as my '05 (shhhh, don't let it hear you read that out loud...)

The '08's are pretty yes, but don't let it tease ya... :tease: With only minor differences, it's pretty much the same bike as the one you have.

Here's a suggestion. Give your '04 a good wax job and you may just hear it say (with an echo from your wife), "You just saved yourself a cool $5 to $7K. Smart!" :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Then sit back and wait for Yamaha to come out with something really new and innovative. :thumbsup:

SR-71

Ride the 04!!! It has low miles, won't depreciate much from now on, and it sounds like you really like it. I always keep cars and bikes at least 10 yrs to get my $'s worth. I select a vehicle I really, really like and keep it. I have a 07 FJR with 11,000 miles(keeper), a 1997 K1100LT purchased 5 years ago with 23,000 that now has 80,000(still ride alot), and an old k100Rt with well over 100,000. Yours is just getting broken in!!! Save your $'s Just my 2c.

Keep your Feej, and get one one of these to keep it company. :D

concept1full.jpg

FUZZY BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the VMax. Bet it don't have no stinking heat issues, what with those monster ram air snorks ;) Damn! is that thing ever gonna happen????

:jester:

Randy, just upgrade the suspension and toss some paint at it, if you must. At your mileage the bike isn't even broken in yet. Buying a new FJR would be a total posuer move. Like it's really going to change anything about your riding experience to just buy a newer version of the same bike!
Admit it, you're just suffering from some NBL, (New Bike Lust). It's normal. It's ok. But don't let yourself waste any good cash that you could be spending on tires and gas to ride in the coming year. 7k! Even if you spend 1/10th that on fork upgrades, that still amounts to an awful lot of tires and gas you'd be pissing away for something new. You're gonna need all your extra cash for gas this summer!
Or that might be NBL (New Black Lust). The black looks good. Wait for a major upgrade. Tell the wife you've reconsidered and want to wait for the bigger upgrade. That way you've primed the pump.

Damn, I love my 04. Can't imagine ever needing, nor even wanting to replace it. Even having been crashed twice and with a 135,000 hard miles on her.
Maybe when it hits 300,000 miles.
I hear ya Skooter!! :clapping: Ride it till nobody else would want it. Get aaalll the good out of it. :yahoo: That's what I plan to do with my '07. I'll probably be looking for an upgrade in about 10 years.

Wheels are in motion for the suspension upgrade on the '04. Gonna call in some favors from back in the racing days to see if I can do any better than the current group buy. Thanks all for the input.

Good on ya Randy! You should enjoy the bike after the upgraded suspension from what I've heard. And if the heat is an issue seems like I remember somebody installing a heatshield from a Gen II (06 -08), to a Gen I under the tank with good results. Also spaced the windshield at the bottom to allow more air flow to help cool things down in the summer. And you can change your mind in the future if something new does come out from Yamaha. After all nothing is written in stone. Sprucing things up sometimes is good for the soul and makes things seem new. And your wife will think more highly of you and think you are frugal. :wub: Good luck and keep us all updated. FJR's ROCK!! No matter what the year!!!!!!! :yahoo: PM. <><

Id keep it and get something else. I plan on keeping the 05 for a long long time for two up and long rides...but ill be getting something else to keep her company.

Randy,

If you get a chance to see the black one in person like I did this past Friday at the N.Y. Motorcycle Show, I think you'll be suprised how smaller and compact looking the FJR appears to be in black. The A & the AE were on seperate sides of the exhibit for some strange reason. Maybe that was why. Even my friend commented how much smaller the black looks compared to my cobalt blue model. Also, because it's black it seems that a few of the design lines and features aren't as prevelant as in the previous colors.

Just my opinion.

Randy,
If you get a chance to see the black one in person like I did this past Friday at the N.Y. Motorcycle Show, I think you'll be suprised how smaller and compact looking the FJR appears to be in black. The A & the AE were on seperate sides of the exhibit for some strange reason. Maybe that was why. Even my friend commented how much smaller the black looks compared to my cobalt blue model. Also, because it's black it seems that a few of the design lines and features aren't as prevelant as in the previous colors.

Just my opinion.
I saw it and sat on it and, while I don't disagree that it is beautiful, it didn't give me that 'I gotta make a run to the pawn shop so I can buy it' feeling.

Keep your fjr and buy one of these to add to your stable: :yahoo:

Suzuki Hayabusa

Suzuki M109R (the red one is gorgeous in person)

Yamaha Raider

Honda Shadow (just kidding...please don't)

Honda Valkyrie before Honda "run(i)ed" it wth the newer model

Ducati

Suzuki 650

Porsche 959 (ok, it's not a bike but if you buy one please give me a ride!!!)

Maybe Yammie is waiting to see what changes are in store for ST1100 and the Connie for the next few years before they make any major changes? I was surprised to see Yammie come out with the new Raider... but Suzuki was first with the 109 and maybe that's the way Yammie will do with the fjr-- see what the competition will do first.

Lately Suzuki and Yammie have been redesigning their cruisers with little attention on the sport-touring market. And I have no idea where Honda is focusing. The Wings changed in 2001 but wasn't much of a change from the prior 1988 change. And Harley is focusing on how much of their stuff can be made in China and increasing the price.

Sport-touring may become a bigger market when people realize they don't have to plunk down 22 grand for a Wing or a beemer. Wings & Harleys are huge (pun intended) in the South. But most folks there don't even know there is an FJR or a Connie. Maybe it's a slow-growing market and the main players like Bmw, Yammie, Honda are satisfied with not investing capital to redeign their current models.

Personally I love the idea that few people can recognize my bike and I'm the only one in my area that has one.

Ok, I'm rambling. Think it's time to start drinking. :yahoo:

Buy the Raven!!

I'm in a similar situation - '04 with ~45K miles. Love the bike, but the heat has been annoying to me, at times and the vibration through the bars @70-75 is a deal-breaker except I bought the MCCruise which made it tolerable (also have BMW grips & heavy weights).

Anyway, I've ridden a low-miles '06 and recently a new '07 - the above mentioned complaints are MUCH improved. Likely I'll be purchasing an '08 in the near term unless I go all the way to the Wing.

And ABS seals the deal. My next bike WILL have ABS. My '04 does not.