V-stream windscreen for '13 FJR: a heads-up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichDoyle

Reaction score
I just received the "sport-touring" variant (Part # N20308) of the windscreen and mounted it on the bike - almost. It turns out that the left side trim cover could not be properly installed, because of the spacing between the mounting holes and the lower left edge of the windscreen. Right side is fine. In essence, the windscreen is slightly asymmetrical with respect to the mounting holes. Though it might be just the one I received, I'm thinking that possibly every copy of this particular model would have the same problem, hence the heads-up here.

I sent off an inquiry to National Cycle as to what to do next. Some Dremel work could be applied to make it work, but let's see how NC handles the issue.

After I sent off the inquiry to NC, they called me on my home phone on Monday to discuss the problem. I sent some pictures off and they are sending a replacement and will examine the one I originally got to figure out what went wrong. Picking up shipping for the return, as one would expect. Unclear still whether this is a single example gone wrong or would be ubiquitous.

So far, satisfied with their response and proactive response.

I bought the tallest V-stream (I think +5 in.) at the IMS show in Atlanta a couple of weeks back and it installed perfectly. I love the way it stopped the buffeting over the OEM shield. A big improvement for me!!

Got the replacement windshield the other day and it fits fine. I still don't know if it's a one-off issue or repeated for this particular version (of which there are 3) for the '13.

How do those who have installed the V stream shields like them on your 2013-newer bikes?

Had one on my Gen 1, most likely will need an upgrade on the '14.

Buffeting definitely gone with the V-stream, but still a last bit of vestigial wind noise. Raising/lowering it changes how much is eliminated, but the last couple inches of raising makes no discernible difference.

It's a good match for the OEM handguards. Hardly any air movement over the handgrips any more, at least in the absence of a significant crosswind.