V-Strom Handguard Mounting Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I was over at Flying Junior's this week "helping" him install his new VStrom handguards (really wind/rain deflectors). I'd really like to do this mod too, but we ran into a problem that I'll have too if I do it, since we both have Gen I's. The kit from FJR Goodies supplies all the mounting hardware you're supposed to need for an FJR, but the two new "lever bolts" that the brake and clutch levers pivot on--and that replace the OEM lever bolts--are identical. The OEM bolts are not identical.

The replacement bolt for the clutch side works fine. It's a little complicated to explain, but when you put the bolt through, it screws down till it bottoms out against the wider shoulder of the bolt--the part above the threads. Then the handguard fits on top of the bolt and you put the retaining screw into the tapped head end of the lever bolt to hold the guard in place.

When you do the brake side, which we happened to do second, the new bolt was too long. It turns out the bracket is narrower on the brake side. I pulled both levers on my bike, and at least on the Gen I, the part of the clutch lever that the lever bolt goes through is actually wider than the part of the brake lever that takes the bolt. For this reason, on the brake side, the hex head of the bolt is raised about 3/8" above the top of the bracket. The handguard, which slipped easily onto the clutch side, really had to be distorted to force it up over the brake-side bolt. I'm afraid it could put enough stress on the plastic to cause a crack later on.

The packing list from FJR Goodies listed the included parts, with Suzuki part numbers. They were same for both lever bolts, which were in fact identical. They are also the same in the article in "FJRTechDOTcom" that explains this mod. It seems strange that no one else has mentioned this issue. It was a Gen I bike that the FJR Tech article referred to, and shows in the pictures. But anyway, since the OEM bolts are different, and the gaps on the two sides are different, how can two identical bolts replace two bolts that are different?

Wish I could post pictures, but the bike with the new guards isn't here, and we didn't think to take pics as we were doing it. If you've done this mod and can help me understand what's going on, I'd appreciate some feedback. I don't want to order the guards till I get this figured out, and I'd really like to have them on for the cold and rain coming up. Thanks.

This 'problem' was hashed over a few times, but it was way in the past.

When I installed the handguards on my 'o5 I used a bench grinder to carefully grind down a little bit of the shoulder on the bolt I used for the brake lever so that the length of the shoulder matched the shoulder on the bolt I took off. I then ran the bolt through a die and threaded the section I ground down, effectively shortening the shoulder and threading the bolt up to the shoulder.

If you don't want to do that, or some other modification, you can use the hardware as is and it will function fine, but one of the hand guards will be a little higher than the other.

This 'problem' was hashed over a few times, but it was way in the past.
When I installed the handguards on my 'o5 I used a bench grinder to carefully grind down a little bit of the shoulder on the bolt I used for the brake lever so that the length of the shoulder matched the shoulder on the bolt I took off. I then ran the bolt through a die and threaded the section I ground down, effectively shortening the shoulder and threading the bolt up to the shoulder.

If you don't want to do that, or some other modification, you can use the hardware as is and it will function fine, but one of the hand guards will be a little higher than the other.
I ordered the hand guards from Babbitts, a Suzuki dealer, and they came with two different screws and nuts. One for the brake side and one for the clutch. They were slightly different in length, and quite different in appearance. Except for grinding the holes bigger to clamp on the handlebars, they fit like they were made for the FJR. Although I did notice the throttle side guard does not come up as high as the clutch side guard. Anyone else have this problem?

For reference, the oem DL1000 lever bolts in the center and the FJR stockers (clutch-L/brake-R) next to them.

These are the parts I ordered from the DL microfiche.

hgp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

THe Dremmel is your friend. Use it in the event that you don't own a bench grinder. All that is needed is to narrow the diameter of the "shoulder" and then massage it (with the help of a mallet) into the hole on the brake side. It's easy to grind down and it doesn't have to be perfect. You don't need to thread the new portion of bolt but you can if you like.

I put this thing together with the parts as supplied after agonizing a bit over how to make the Throttlemeister continue to work with the handguard's outboard end riding on it.

It seems to work fine, and both handguards are the same height above their respective levers. Just right. I'm afraid if I lowered the brake side, it would scrape my knuckles.

Personally I just left it that way.

The bottom half of the hole in the top of the break lever is the same diameter as the Suzuki bolt and when the Yamaha bolt is in there the head puts no pressure on the top half of the break lever.

But if it bothers you I guess you could stack some washers to fill up the void.

If you move the break lever bolt down (by grinding) the knuckle guard comes out at the wrong height.

Good luck

Latest posts