Valve Clearance How-To Video

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job explaining from start to finish. I have done my Gen 2 bikes many times through the years, good to see there is no big difference for Gen 3. model. One hint... use a smear of Permatex silicone dielectric grease on the body push pin grommets, fuel vapour vent line tee, and fuel pump to fuel line spigot to aid in future removal. Do not go overboard, just a smear will do.

Keep the videos coming, its a great way to give back to the community to help others. Thanks👍

Brodie

😊

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how much difference there is in the measurement of the clearance between when the lobe ends are parrelel to the ground and straight up? Isnt that part of the lobe circular? If I can remember, Im gonna check that next time.

#1, you don't check them parallel to the ground. They are somewhat horizontal, but that is not the spec. #2 There is enough to change the reading just several degrees from correct. It's a moot point, you do it right or don't do it.

thanks a lot, very useful viedo. It looks like you do not ride your bike at all, its in showroom condition. No dust or dirt. How do you do it? Can you post a video on that as well?
smile.png

Thanks for the clarification. Admittedly, I've been doing it wrong and I guess, as the videographer points out, you really can't do it right without removing the oil pump cover.

Next time, I'm going to examine that more closely, but feeler gage measurements are subject to some interpretation, as we know.

Still - it would seem to me that at some point in the rotation, the cam lobe is "circular". The distance from the center of the cam to the "more round" end of the lobe is the same through some degree of the rotation. Isn't that where the valve is supposed to be fully closed? Isn't that where the compression happens and where the ignition happens?

thanks a lot, very useful viedo. It looks like you do not ride your bike at all, its in showroom condition. No dust or dirt. How do you do it? Can you post a video on that as well?
smile.png
Ooooh i detect some failed snark
wink.png
It's called, I value my things and keep them nice. I wash it when dirty...and ride all year...on multiple bikes
smile.png

Your assumption that's it's perfectly round is simply incorrect. That's your problem. There is a single point where the spec is to be measured. That's it, nothing else.

And for anyone else that thinks "feeler gage measurements are subject to some interpretation" - you aren't using them correctly LOL

As I stated in the vid - you find the one that does not fit...then go down until one does. That's what you write down. There is zero room for 'interpretation'.

I took Enn's comment to be more admiration than snark! While some people consider a filthy bike to be a badge of honor, I don't think he does. I don't either but I have neither the time nor the patience to "detail" a bike regularly.

A normal cleaning takes me 15 minutes or so. 30 minutes if I (infrequently) wax. 20 seconds of riding in the rain or 20 minutes of exposure to bugs on a summer afternoon undoes all the extra effort taken. Mind you, it's really nice to see a clean engine when doing some work as well as a lack of dust and crud under the seat.

Valve check video is a good resource for anyone who is intimidated by the thought of getting that far into the engine. I know I was quite nervous about it the first valve check I did and especially nervous when it was time to pull the cams and actually make adjustments. (all turned out well)

If I misunderstood then I apologize...there are more than a few that don't like my vids ;)

Tip - I use a quick detailer spray on the front facing parts in between washes - takes just a couple min to wipe off the bug guts and such.

Well - I like all of your vids, and they have helped me quite a bit over the months. I'm more of a parts changer than a mechanic, as evident by my post on this thread.

I'll check the differences in measurement along the "more round" part of the cam lobes during my next valve check later this year. Now I'm curious as to why Mama Yamaha would purposely make the shape eccentric on that part of the lobe when the valve is not touching it.

Again, an assumption. They didn't. They just didn't specifically make it perfectly round, because it doesn't need to be. You are really reading in to what's not there man.

I'm hoping the guy who does my valve clearance checks knows what he's doing, but I do like your videos for the things I AM willing to try. But here's something for you: get yourself a Wyn-Pro "Bigfoot" from forum member 08FJR4ME. Great, useful, reasonably-priced product. Looks like you need one.

Oh, very sorry. As a non- native english speaker I am perhaps not too good in finding correct expressions. Ross is right, it was meant as a friendly admiration. I wish I had the same patience in keeping my own bike in such a condition. I mean, even below the covers everything looks to be shiny clean on your bike. Well done! And I do like you videos, they are great and very helpful. Please go on posting them. Next time I might even give a try and check the valve clearances myself.

If I misunderstood then I apologize...there are more than a few that don't like my vids
wink.png

I'm hoping the guy who does my valve clearance checks knows what he's doing, but I do like your videos for the things I AM willing to try. But here's something for you: get yourself a Wyn-Pro "Bigfoot" from forum member 08FJR4ME. Great, useful, reasonably-priced product. Looks like you need one.
Yuck, not for me. That was the first day I have ever needed my puck, it just sits in my cabinet. Thanks for watching!

Great Job on the Video! I just did the valves on my '13. Wish your video would have been available then. Two problem areas for me was that I had to pull the intake cam and then couldn't get it back in. The cam chain was too tight. i took out the exhaust cam and they both went right in no problem. The other was getting the valve cover back on. Watch his video closely, that's how to put it back on. It's really tight in there.