Valve Stem Cores

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
Are all cores the same?

I know on our trip to NFLD one rider had one leaking and I want to stick one in my tool kit.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fir the reply. I always use metal caps. My question is are the cores universal?

I don't want to buy ones that do not fit.

Thanks,

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Cores are universal, but some designs vary slightly (usually at the little sealing part). No worries, pack a couple of what you got and you'll be good. Valve caps with gaskets inside are the better ones.

Cores are universal, but some designs vary slightly (usually at the little sealing part). No worries, pack a couple of what you got and you'll be good. Valve caps with gaskets inside are the better ones.
They are universal. Agree, valve caps with orings in them help hedge your bet on a leaking valve stem. I also have seen some valve stems where the rubber has cracked and is leaking.

All Schrader valves are the same dimension, but not all are of the same quality. You will be able to tell the good ones from the cheap Asian ones with a glance.

The valve cap is merely a dust cover and is not intended to be an air seal. Sure, it can be the belt to the valve's suspenders, but that is not what it is designed for. If you are concerned about your valve stem it is a 10 second check to spray some soapy water on the valve to check the seal

The best way to keep a valve from leaking is ALWAYS use a valve cap. It will keep dirt and debris from the valve. When I as young and dumb ( laying it up big and fat ) I had a TS185 Suzuki I road in the dirt. Once I forgot to put the cap on and found myself with a flat tire. There was no leak in the tube so I removed the valve stem, cleaned it, to fix the leak. I have never forgot that lesson.

All Schrader valves are the same dimension, but not all are of the same quality. You will be able to tell the good ones from the cheap Asian ones with a glance. The valve cap is merely a dust cover and is not intended to be an air seal. Sure, it can be the belt to the valve's suspenders, but that is not what it is designed for. If you are concerned about your valve stem it is a 10 second check to spray some soapy water on the valve to check the seal
Don't quit agree with that Fred, go to Schraders web site and you will see various sizes of Schrader valves. Yes the one we use for automotive is the most typical even used in refrigeration.

I recently bought some right angle valve stems. When I got them and took my tire of to install them I found them to be way to small for the hole in my wheel. I went back online to the place I bought them from and sure enough there was a drop down menu with two sizes to select from.That tells me that there is more than one size.

This is referring to the hole in the wheel part, not the length or some other dinension.
More than one size valve stem mounting hole. The Schrader valve is the same.

There are two core types, short and long. the long has an external spring. I use the short type only because it is more compact. During my 58 years of driving/riding i have never had a leaking valve core. I replace the stems every tire change.

Reminder: This thread is about valve stem cores and whether they're the same. You want to talk about valve stems or other items--use one of the many, Many, MANY other threads on the subject...or start your own.

Thanks.

The Management