Voltmeters: LED or LCD?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allnight

Lead cat herder
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at adding a voltmeter, and looking at the Datel site, I see that they have an LCD version.

Anybody have it?

The Datel 2-wire page shows the LED model that most people get: DMS-20PC-1-DCM (LED version datasheet). However, it also shows a rather interesting looking LCD model: DMS-20LCD-0-DCM (LCD version datasheet).

I'm not too concerned about the price difference ($50 for LED vs $30 for LCD), what seems interesting to me is the lack of glare or reflection that the LCD will have. I realize it'll be hard (maybe impossible) to read the LCD at night, but I'm not sure that this is a problem. Does anybody think it is?

If backlighting is necessary, someone pointed to this Lascar backlit LCD.

Beyond adding a Givi E52, I haven't done much farkling, so I thought I'd see what people think of this before "digging in."

Are you going to ride at night? If so, then I wouldn't consider one that isn't lit or backlit.

The Lascar also shows "splash proof"....which is code for "don't ride in extended rain or it will probably die".

There's a reason most get the regular Datel...and it's because there hasn't been as waterproof & robust, backlit LCD, in a similar price range offered as the Datel.

Datel makes a backlit LCD display that is sealed. The bad news is that it isn't plug'n play like the LED type. The back lighting on the LCD is mild enough for night use, but can be switched off also. The best way to use the backlit LCD meter is to buy PCB DMS-EB2 already populated with the interface components needed to step down 14.5 volts to the meter required 5 volt power supply.

I'm looking into this meter for my FJR right now. I've priced out the meter and PCB at Mouser, it looks like it will be ~$80 for all the bits and pieces.

M'kay.

So what is wrong with the LED unit that needs to be upgraded at twice the price with LCD?

Too retro looking maybe? :blink:

M'kay.
So what is wrong with the LED unit that needs to be upgraded at twice the price with LCD?

Too retro looking maybe? :blink:
I'm just so into fashion, style and appearance that I couldn't bear to have instrumentation that didn't look totally OEM :D

I can buy the LCD meter and all the other parts for a lot less than what someone that is not in the electronics field would pay. I listed what someone that wanted to try this can expect to pay.

LED better than LCD

- You could see it in the sun or at night

- If too hot, the lcd may disapear

- If too cold, the lcd will be slow to react, even froze ( LCD stand for Liquid Crystal Display, LED = Light Emitting Diode )

There is also other color available tha red in LED, there is blue, green, maybe other color, I don't know if Datel is offering then, but where I work salespeople sells them.

I went with the Blue LED meter (I don't like seeing Red lights unless there's a problem :blink: ), the only quick and simple mod i did is cut a square of smoke color tint film to place over the display, this way i can still read it in the sunlight, but it's not too bright at night. Frankly i fail to understand why Datel has not built-in an auto-dimming feature into their meters, it's a simple and cheap enough circuit.

Here is mine.....
SANY0467.jpg

Ok, idiot questioner here.... other than wanting to know if my variety of gadgets are sucking too much juice, why would I install

a voltmeter? Or did I answer my own question?

To be completely honest, a voltmeter really isn't even necessary for when you add regular gadgets like sound systems, GPSes, etc. It's really only needed if you put on any big power consumers. Like a pair of aux headlights can pull 100W, or any sort of heated grips or heated clothing. The added load can deplete your charging system's reserve capacity, causing the battery to actually be discharging while you ride. Then when you stop somewhere and try to re-start it the battery may not have enough juice left.

The chronically paranoid maintenance aware riders may want to have a volt meter to monitor the health of the charging system and battery. It is much better to see a downward trend over time, than to have a surprise when you thumb the starter button. Being able to plan maintenance so that it happens at home in the garage or at the dealer beats the heck out of maintenance beside the road at 11:00 pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • The LCD model has no protection from moisture, let alone water (fine print at the bottom of the datasheet, and note in price list).
  • Operating temperature for LCD is 0 to 60C, and LED is -25 to 60C.
  • However, there is one advantage LCD always has over LED - lower power.
    LCD model: 2 mA (max.)
  • LED model: 13 mA (max.)
Not sure what you would do with the power advantage - it is not like you would risk having the LCD version permanently connected to the battery even when the ignition is OFF.
[*]The LCD model has a built-in annunciator. If only Datel had the option of having that as a switched output, one could turn off a relay for heated apparels, for example, when the voltage dropped below a certain threshold.