RZ350’s Gen II Mods, Part 14 - Voltmeter/Clock/Thermometer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RZ350

Reaction score
Link to all my Gen II mods

Although there are probably better units out there now, I selected this combo meter years ago (initially for my Tiger) based on price and functionality. I’ll mention the pro/con’s at the end. The meter is shown below with some spade terminals added to the wire leads. It comes with Velcro strips for mounting (not shown) and the aluminum piece is one of my custom made FJR brackets.

4445953909_901cdb33b8_o.jpg

When I bought the FJR, I decided to buy another one of these meters because I was familiar and happy with the one on the Tiger. I’ve had it mounted in three different places so far as I reconfigured the bike. Although the meter comes with Velcro to mount it, I opted to create a custom mount that engages the ribbing molded in the side of its housing. I figured I needed to make a bracket to mount it on the bike somewhere anyway and decided to add provisions to directly hold the meter. Plus, the Velcro just didn’t hold it secure enough for my liking. The perfect tension on the “fork” allows it to slide in from the top, but holds it firmly in place. Before mounting my custom handlebar system, a bracket (shown in the picture above) allowed it to mount between the two small screws holding the covers over the OEM handlebar mount bolts. I thought it looked pretty good there, but it had to be relocated when I removed the OEM handlebars.

Once I had the Helibar triple clamp installed, the second location was mounted directly to the clamp just in front of the ignition switch. This location required a second aluminum bracket to be made (I’m getting good at it!). It utilized the two screw holes holding the Helibar “C” shaped piece surrounding the switch and was fitted with longer screws and some spacers.

4446727206_43002154e1_o.jpg

4445953863_fc2f9df79f_o.jpg

The last and hopefully permanent position is mounted on top of the GPS base pod. I found access to the ignition switch just a bit too tight between the GPS pod and the forward-mounted voltmeter so the meter was moved back to the pod. This time I was able to reuse the second bracket by simply adding two new holes to it. I still need to reach around everything to get to the ignition switch, but I find this works fine.

4446727166_6f6f3b8602_o.jpg

4446727462_443939a53b_o.jpg

4446727418_53341a0ddf_o.jpg

4446727500_f31e2cd60e_o.jpg

Here are some shots of the voltmeter mounted on the Tiger. I pulled the meter out of the bracket in one to show a bit more detail.

4445953881_e6e9c146c5_o.jpg

4446727436_8f49d9c801_o.jpg

I have some small gripes about this particular meter. The first time I got caught in heavy FL rain with it, I thought it was toast. Water seeped into the LCD display and it started displaying erratically. But much to my dismay, it worked fine after it dried out. To stop water from directly dousing the meter again, I simply cut off a section of clear tubing (.75” ID) and slit it lengthwise. It still comes off easy to access the rear mode set buttons. I’ve had no water problems since, and I’ve been caught in some nasty storms. Second, in direct sunlight with the bike parked, the LCD sometimes darkens, but it has to be a hot day and it clears up as soon as I start riding and some airflow gets to it. Third, is the backlighting. It is just a little too dim to see clearly at night. I very seldom ride at night so this hasn’t been a big concern of mine. Lastly, these meters don’t like to have their leads reversed by mistake.

The plus sides of this meter are that it is inexpensive ($25), has stood the test of time, and pulls very little current so I just have it powered up 100% of the time (even with the ignition off). It’s great to be able to wander out in the garage and just glance over and see the battery charge, time, or temperature anytime.

RZ I've used this meter before, and have found many of the same pros and cons with it. Mine (2 separate units) eventually died after repeated exposure to heavy rains, at which point i gave up on this meter. However your very simple and cheap idea of sliding the clear tubing around it might get me to give it another shot, thanks.

Pretty decent unit considering the price-I've had one on my FJ1200 for years with no problems, rain or otherwise..Not sure why one would be needed on the FJR since we already have a clock and thermometer. I just added a Datel..

RZ I've used this meter before, and have found many of the same pros and cons with it. Mine (2 separate units) eventually died after repeated exposure to heavy rains, at which point i gave up on this meter. However your very simple and cheap idea of sliding the clear tubing around it might get me to give it another shot, thanks.
Some 3/4" tubing will take care of it. I just bought some more tubing recently for another project and it set me back a whopping $1.22/ft. So technically, it only cost about 60 cents to make this meter weather-resistant :D

Just don't hit it with reverse polarity - it doesn't like it! Don't ask me how I know.

Pretty decent unit considering the price-I've had one on my FJ1200 for years with no problems, rain or otherwise..Not sure why one would be needed on the FJR since we already have a clock and thermometer. I just added a Datel..
I'm disappointed Yamaha makes you choose between one of three things to be displayed at any given time. I usually leave the display on instantaneous mileage so its nice having temp being displayed elsewhere.

Just a followup here…

Well, the original Tiger voltmeter is giving up the ghost. The picture below shows the LCD readout going a bit erratic with some of the bars missing. Remember though, this was the one that flaked out when it was doused with water. I’m actually surprised it made it another six years after that. This doesn’t discourage me at all and I plan to order another one just like it as a replacement. Another 6 years should get the Tiger to trade-in time! :D

4896294972_d06c5d08e6.jpg