• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted front and rear wheels for IBR for gen 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-B

Reaction score
I am riding in the IBR this summer and need front and rear wheels for a '15. Looks like anything from '08 on up would work. If anybody has a set to loan that would be great too.

Brian

I was planning to change at the second checkpoint in Texas. What were you running for tires? That would be my only tire change leaving from PA. The best I've done on the rear with a PR4 is about 8K.

I just swapped out tires this weekend. I had almost 22k on them, with the rear showing cords and the front with maybe 8k left to give.

I will be running a BBG Trifecta and didn't want to take chances. PR2s all the way (300k on FJRs with them) usually 42psi Front & 41psi

in the rear. If you are concerned carry a tube of shoe goo to smear on the cords, should they show. I just ordered 3 tubes. LOL

Really with PR2s, I can count on 15k on the rear and 25k on the front.

May I suggest you change tires in Minnesota? There are forum members riding with you that live nearby that would help you-

Order tires and have them sent to them. OR I have a shop that I highly recommend in Indianola Iowa (16 miles south of I-35/I-80

intersection) This would give you a good scrub ride to Minnesota. If you want their contact PM me. They will match prices from online

sources and have you in and out. Many options for you. I will be looking for you at the finish. May you have a great (& safe) ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
Never did get that kind of mileage out of PR2s they were even less than the PR3 and PR4. I would like to change tires in Minnesota and do it off the clock but not sure I can make 11K miles on one set. Running a set of Dunlop RS3 now, I'll see what I get on them. Probably won't run enough miles before the rally to really test them out. 3,500 miles so far.

I would think if you started off with a new set of tires in MN.,you would only have to be concerned with a rear tire swap. IBR speeds are monitored now, and you will be running many of your miles on highways. Perhaps have a rear mounted on a rim at CP#2(?)

May I suggest you change tires in Minnesota? There are forum members riding with you that live nearby that would help you- Order tires and have them sent to them.
^^^ This would work. As long as you don't cut it (mounting new tire) too close to when we're expected to be at the motel. There's also a couple of dealerships relatively close where you could get new rubber put on.

As a side note and from one procrastinator (i.e. recent lighting issue) to another, isn't it a lot more fun to get critical details squared away now rather than six/eight months ago like everyone else? lol

smile.png
I haven't had front or rear last 9k so not confident I can make 11K on either.

If I were in your boots, and in a way I am, I would arrange to arrive early enough that you could get new tires mounted after you arrive in Mpls. Be sure to have the tires inflated to 40+ psi, after all I'm not spending the next 11 days at the track where lower psi would be beneficial. If I truly needed a new tire during the rally, I'd call my support staff/cheerleading squad (wife) and ask her to find a dealer in towns or cities I might be approaching to see who could mount a tire quickly. More like if they had the right tires. See I don't expect to finish up high with the top dogs and so spending time napping at a dealer while new tires are mounted wouldn't be that big of a deal. The operative word there is "napping".

And if it looks like you'll make it the whole rally on the original tires, you can get new ones mounted the Saturday after the finish. Or I have several used ones that IMO could get you home safely.

Or you just might luck out and someone has a front & rear wheel for sale. But you'll still need to figure out how to get them to the checkpoint.

I wish you all the luck in whatever you choose to do, and I'll see you in Mpls.
smile.png

PS: don't look for the yellow feejer, the Ol' gal ain't around anymore.