Warchild is famous!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to go get a copy today, can't wait. Nice to know I met a man who is crazy. Wait, I do that for a living!

Seriously Dale, congratulations on being recognized as a serious and fanatical motorcycle enthusiast.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

If I bring a copy to WFO can I get it signed? Think Brundog will sign it? :rolleyes:

I haven't seen the article yet.

I thought Cycle World wasn't going to publish it (which would've been fine by me) until I received a phone call from the editor of Cycle World several weeks ago who wanted photo credit info. Iggy did take that shot, and a few others as well. The intent was to give the photos to Avon for marketing purposes, since they provided several sets of Storms for the event.

Make good use of those rear Storms....

SmokedStorms.jpg

You could have squeeked out one more BBG with those........... :rolleyes:

But seriously, I am curious to know the route you took. Did you loop the same one 7 times or was it a never ride the same road twice sorta thing? (although that might be tricky from a logistical standpoint)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could have squeeked out one more BBG with those........... :rolleyes:
The far right one, maybe, at a slower pace. But not at the speeds I was moving at...
whistle.gif

Never took the same route twice for any of the seven days. Did repeat many of the faster roads, however.

From post #32 of the BBG Hell Week thread:

There was a different route every day. No two were the same.

However.... I did take advantage of the "NFT" (Nevada Fast Triangle), which is comprised of the roads that intersect of HWY's 375, 6 and 318. Also a lot of use of HWY's 305 and 376. A lot of eastern Nevada was also used... HWY's 93 from Wells to Caliente to Alamo.

But I also used a lot of fast roads in northern California, southern Oregon and western Utah.

There were two days that I had to make up alternate routes on the fly (which can be quite difficult after Day 2, when you're suffering bad mind-mush). One day there was no-notice road construction on my route where there had not been just 2 days before.

The second time was on Day 4, when I was heading back to Fernley via Battle Mouintain. My route back to Battle Mountain was HWY 305... that road had been open earlier that day, but was CLOSED by the NHP in the afternoon due to WILDFIRE!!! This forced me to go around to Fallon and back-track a fair amount to make up the required mileage....

I was reading the miles per day you were putting up unreal . You have something special inside and something special that you praticed for many years with your mind ( iTS my speculation on the mind) . Clear discipline , clear focus , And a very clear zone . Super greAT job . Mike.

You have something special inside and something special that you praticed for many years with your mind ( iTS my speculation on the mind) . Clear discipline , clear focus , And a very clear zone.
Calling Bull Shit here. WC's BUTT is addicted to motorcycle seat. That simple, that clear. No other way to explain it. :lol:

There's not much about which I'll allow myself to say "I can't do that." But that little feat is one of those things: I can't do that and won't be trying. B)

Damn -- mail came and my CW still isn't here! :(

This incredible event made Dale quite famous. From Day 4 of the 2007 Iron Butt Rally. Brian Roberts and I (a team by today's definition) are grabbing a sandwich in Wisconsin. Brian tells the story

"Somewhere around Sheboygan we stopped for a bite and the young man who made my sandwich came over to the table and hovered asking me if we were members of the Iron Butt Association. I reluctantly said we were and he got very excited and told me he knew about Dale “Warchild” Wilson and how he had completed 7 straight days riding 1500 miles each day. His MSF instructor knew Dale and had told him all about this great feat the past weekend while in training. Paul pointed to me and said “there is the mechanic for that great endeavor” and after a few gushing minutes Paul and I left laughing about what a “Rockstar” Dale had become. It was a fun memory to push us on the last hundred miles or so!"

Just saw this article for the first time today.... I was pretty concerned that CW might try to go all "sensationalistic" with the write-up, but they actually did a pretty nice job.

And fortunately, the interviewed/quoted Mike Kneebone in the article, so I was prepared to blame him if they exaggerated the story. :lol:

But they actually did a reasonable job. Alan Rider (who wrote the article) is a LD Rider himself... I met him at the 2006 Utah 1088. Nice guy. Responsible journalist.

Just saw this article for the first time today.... I was pretty concerned that CW might try to go all "sensationalistic" with the write-up, but they actually did a pretty nice job.
Congrats, Dale! :clapping: That's just an amazing feat!

I don't have a subscription so I'll have to hunt up a copy at a newsstand or something.

BG

Dale (Warchild)

From one iron butter to another, What you have done is nothing short of amazing, as any other iron butt rider will atest to. :clapping:

David

Ibr 20651

I subscribe to Cycle World and I got my copy as normal. I saw the artical and recognized the "Warchild" name and said to myself "Hummmm I wonder". I came home (was on a trip) and got on the Forum and sure enough. How funny --- it took them almost two years to write the story. Oh well, better late than never because I did not know about it prior. Yes; the artical , I thought, was well written. This is a record you will hold for a long long time and may never be broken.

So you ARE the same Warchild from the article. I just got my CW the other day and stumbled across the writeup of your trip....when they put "Warchild" in quotes I immediately thought "what are the chances?"

Nice work, bro!