Warm Hands.... FINALLY!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warm N Safe also sells a glove liner (do they make the one for Powerlet?) I would think it serves the same purpose. I plan to use a set of liners with my Olympia gloves. $47.50 for a liner sounds like a bargain.

Because Powerlet sells Heat Trollers and Jacket Liners made by Warm & Safe, as does First Gear, I thought the same thing.

The BMW dealer told me that Powerlet wired their own heated glove liners and did something differently than the Gerbing's or Warm & Safe liners which cause them to be feel warmer.

He wasn't kidding. The Powerlet liners give off more heat that a prom date. They feel noticeably warmer than the Gerbing's or Warm & Safe units and that's what I need in Michigan. However, if I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd be very satisfied with any one of the available brands.
Besides wiring differently, Powerlet glove liners produce 27% more heat than the WarmNSafe liners. (14 watts each vs. 11 watts) And 17% more heat than the WarmNSafe heated gloves (14 watts vs 12 watts)

Not sure I need that extra heat, but since I already have some Tourmaster waterproof insulated winter type riding gloves I think I may have to try the WarmNSafe glove liners since they are significantly cheaper and the Gen I FJRs can be watt challenged.

Good thread. And good information Bill!

Thanks Bill for the info!

I'm purchasing some warm and safe heated gear this offseason and will be adding the powerlet glove liners to my Tour Master Winter Elite II Gloves + V-Strom Hand Guards that I already have.

As someone who stupidly frostbit their extremities as a youngun', this will help alot on those cold, rainy rides where it is difficult to stay warm.

I got a chance to use the Warm N Safe glove liners on Sunday's ride in the Sierra. Thin liners with no detectible wires. They actually fit under my summer-weight ventilated Sedici mesh gloves and felt great in the 28 to 37 degree weather on the passes. I have some Olympia All Season gloves I will use them with if we actually get some cold. These are 11 watts of power and cost $47.95. Note, you do not want high cuffs on a liner. These come up onto the wrist ad are about as long as they should be, and don't stack up the wrist with the jacket sleeves, connections and gauntlet gloves.

nosnow063.jpg

nosnow064.jpg

About 1/2 power level

nosnow029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought some of the WarmNSafe glove liners too. Tried them for the first time yesterday. They didn't work. Something must be wrong with my WarmNSafe jacket as it isn't providing power to the glove liners.

I use the ultimate Touring Heated gloves with out a liner of hand guards and they have worked down to the 27 degrees for me. I have done hours and hours in the low to mid 30s with them and they are great. Not sure why Mike would say they are not for extended riding in freezing temperatures but they work fine. Kept my hands very warm. Coldcut will tell you the same as we wore them on our SS1000 to Amarillo. Flagstaff was cold but my hands were only cold when we stopped and took off our gloves to get gas. Took a good 15 minutes on high to get them warm again but then I turned the gloves back down to 3/4 power. I know everyone is different but those gloves are damn hot.

I just bought some of the WarmNSafe glove liners too. Tried them for the first time yesterday. They didn't work. Something must be wrong with my WarmNSafe jacket as it isn't providing power to the glove liners.
If you have the dual Troller, be sure to hook the red coax to the gold connector in the zippered compartment inside the liner on the left side. For a single controller, the red coax connects to a black lead. If the jacket is working, it is possible you just don't have the glove wiring connected to power. By default the glove plug (red male coax) is plugged into the pant plug (black coax female). For a dual troller, you have to change them, or it works off the jacket circuit.

I have a pair of Gerbings that are not all that impressive for dumping heat into my hands.

Now my homebrew glove liners OTOH, require silk gloves on first to keep the Teflon wire from touching my skin.

If these babies don't warm you up, you don't have a pulse.

My crappy little PWM controller circuit could use a redesign but it suffices.

2qbt2t5.jpg

2ykypno.jpg

I have two pair of Warm & Safe gloves due to a screw up in the marking (W&S sent me the right gloves at no charge, +1) but my left hand does not get warm enough in 20-30 degrees. This is true of either glove so I think it is the hand (damaged a few years ago, lots of metal in it) and not the gloves. Last Sunday I installed the V-strom hand guards and WOW! I'm now riding with lighter gloves and only the heat from the AE's grips. Although I envy someone who can ride with no heat and no hand guards, I have to have a lot of heat for my hands. I'm going to give the heated liners a try since I do have a nice pair of winter gloves that will accept liners. Thanks for the tip!

If you have the dual Troller, be sure to hook the red coax to the gold connector in the zippered compartment inside the liner on the left side. For a single controller, the red coax connects to a black lead. If the jacket is working, it is possible you just don't have the glove wiring connected to power. By default the glove plug (red male coax) is plugged into the pant plug (black coax female). For a dual troller, you have to change them, or it works off the jacket circuit.
Huh? Isn't the red coax the power input? That's what is says on my Dual Troller I'm pretty sure. I have red coax to power, black to jacket and grey to gloves (black and grey are interchangeable.) I get heat to the jacket and the gloves, just not enough. And I was told the same thing, "These gloves are not designed for COLD riding" when I complained about them in 30+ degree weather. I do like the jacket though, have just shelved the two pair of gloves for now as the V-Strom mod is working super.

Mine are working now. A coax connection in the little inside pocket had corrosion, undoubtedly from all the time the liner spend wet during the 07 IBR. Once I cleaned up that connection power is being provided to the glove liners. Will be trying them this morning.

How are the liners at heating the palms? I currently use the Tourmaster Synergy gloves, and while they work pretty well, I get cold spots on my wrists and palms (they also don't heat my thumbs).

They don't heat the palms. Just the fingers/thumb. Still trying to get mine to work consistently. (Jacket coax issue, not an issue with the glove liners themselves)

How are the liners at heating the palms? I currently use the Tourmaster Synergy gloves, and while they work pretty well, I get cold spots on my wrists and palms (they also don't heat my thumbs).
I just bought and started using a pair of the WnS Ultimate Touring Gloves, so far in the low 30s I've not needed to also use the grip heaters, IMHO the combination of the two would cover any ridable temp range.

Comments on the fit of the WnS liners? Being between a medium and a large glove size, do I want to lean towards a tighter fit for under the glove or are they already sized to compensate for this?

Comments on the fit of the WnS liners? Being between a medium and a large glove size, do I want to lean towards a tighter fit for under the glove or are they already sized to compensate for this?
I wear an XL glove consistently, and the L/XL: liner has a lot of room for me. Go for the medium in this case, because these do fit under other gloves, and they have a surprising amount of stretch.

or

Huh? Isn't the red coax the power input? That's what is says on my Dual Troller I'm pretty sure. I have red coax to power, black to jacket and grey to gloves (black and grey are interchangeable.) I get heat to the jacket and the gloves, just not enough. And I was told the same thing, "These gloves are not designed for COLD riding" when I complained about them in 30+ degree weather. I do like the jacket though, have just shelved the two pair of gloves for now as the V-Strom mod is working super.
I have a dual wireless unit. The Troller has a red and gold control knob. Inside the jacket left-pocket is the receiver. For the wireless dual: Red coax male plug coming from the receiver Power-In connects to the bike power supply from the battery.

Red male coax from the back of the jacket's connects to the red and gray female connector from the receiver power out. Another red male coax in the inside zipper pocket is labled "Warning: This plug only sends power to the gloves. THE MAIN POWER PLUG is in the left-hand pocket". That red coax attaches to the black and yellow female coax coming from the receiver power-out.

Sorry for any confusion. The gloves sold by WnS are not heavily insulated to keep them more supple and give better "feel". Liners let you select the glove insulation you need, while giving up to 11 watts of heat. My experience is that I can wear summer-weight mesh gloves down to 30*F and have no sensation of cold. This is a lightweight setup with good "feel". I can also use the liners with some Olympia weatherproof heavy gauntlet gloves. These are much heavier insulated and good down in the teens and perhaps lower, but the thickness takes away a lot of "feel".

As I indicated in the original posting, Powerlet Glove Liners are wired differently than Warm & Safe or Gerbing's. When I tried the different brands, as well as my Warm & Safe Ultimate Touring Gloves, Gerbing's G3 and T5 Heated Gloves... the Powerlet Glove Liners were noticeably hotter.

Of course, how much heat it takes to keep ones hands warm and comfortable is very subjective.

My experience is that I can wear summer-weight mesh gloves down to 30*F and have no sensation of cold. This is a lightweight setup with good "feel". I can also use the liners with some Olympia weatherproof heavy gauntlet gloves. These are much heavier insulated and good down in the teens and perhaps lower, but the thickness takes away a lot of "feel".
TomInCA, sounds like you are sold on using heated liners over heated gloves. True statement? I hate fat bulky gloves, and I recently purchased a set of new (used) WNS gloves - but the gauntlet is too small to cover the bulky CyclePort jacket cuffs.

If the liners work, and it seems they should, it really looks like they are the most versatile solution.. heated liners, thinner gloves for down to 30F or so, then liners + bulkier, more insulated gloves for the teens and below?