We Lost a Friend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a loss. I can't believe that I was actually in the area and now I feel really bad for not contacting those FJR riders in the Sacramento area if for no other reason than to grab a bite or a beer.

The 10th was a rainy day...I stared longingly at my girlfriend's father's BMW and thought "if I had only packed my helmet and gear..." for a ride. He did say that there are a lot of great, but dangerous, roads around Sacramento.

My thoughts are with the family and the great friends of his who are suffering through this.

I'll forever remember my all-time favorite teacher, Mrs. Anne Springer, (Bourbon High School, Missouri,- English and Creative Writing), telling me that a great author will, after you close the book, have you thinking about the story and thinking about your life, and what you're doing with it. And having read the book, you'll be improved. Without ever having met him, I've determined that Andrew was a great author. And if his story hasn't improved me, it's my fault.

Thanks Andrew.

Back up this thread, on post #278, Fred W expresses beautifully some of my same sentiments. (No Fred, you're not too verbose.)

There are lots of others. Thanks all.

Hate to be so late to join this, but things have been rough. Clearly my troubles pale in comparison to his family's.

Celebrate his memory and he'll live on in all of us.

No more words, just a reminder that nothing is permanent, and that we should all enjoy each day as if it were the last.

Peace, brother....

Hi All,
I hope you all enjoy these pictures as much as we've enjoyed yours.

Click on any thumbnail to bring up a larger image.

Take care all - and again, thanks for all your amazing support.

https://www.idledale.com/_sgg/m3_1.htm

The Knight Family
Hey Graham, great stuff.

I'm jealous - Andrew and Bruce Cockburn in one shot. How cool is that? Both are true greats.

Just devasting. I never met Andrew. But it was obvious from his well-natured posts that he was not only a good guy, but a great friend to many of you.

My thoughts and prayers are with Sherri, his family, and all that knew him.

RIP, Andrew.

Let's all be careful out there....

P.S...I may have missed it...is there a fund setup? Would be glad to contribute..

Dear Family and Friends,

I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to write but I've not been able to think straight. After getting the news and spending a couple of bad days last weekend then learning about this site I began to read. Sometimes I had to quit for a while, it's too much, but anyway here goes my attempt.

I realize now that I was one of the very lucky ones. I had the opportunity to enjoy so many experiences with Andrew. Andrew is a great friend, mentor, and humanitarian. What did he do for me? What didn't he do would be a more appropriate question. Andrew saved my life and helped me through a very difficult time when I lived in Sacramento. I worked with Andrew in the software business in a couple of different companies. We spent a lot of time talking about software, projects, strategy, kids, spouses, hockey, soccer, lacrosse, fishing, music, skiing, motorcycling, and life in general.

Andrew and I hit it off immediately and I was soon introduced to Sherri. We had many meals at his home. I don't know how many of you know, but Andrew was an excellent chef. Another of the many hats that he wore in life.

So, yes, that was me on the Goldwing in the summer of 05 at Mount Evans. We took our time going up the mountain, Andrew, Sherri, and I, that day and stopped for some pictures with the Mountain Goats. Andrew teased me that it was my girlfriend since I was only 1 up. We climbed up from the highest point we could ride and leave the bikes. Sherri and Andrew both got some great pictures, one of which, I will always cherish the most (Andrew and I together on Mt. Evans) and look at often. On the way down the mountain Andrew let me lead the way, probably because he knew I would have trouble keeping up. I think I surprised him though as we passed cars at high speed and darted back in before the oncoming swept us away. I still get chills thinking about the descent! We spent the weekend at his brother Graham's house with much music, some guitar playing, some scotch drinking, and lots of relaxing.

I played Soccer with Andrew, Mogens, Will, Pat, and the rest of the team...they tolerated me, I think because it was amusing to them to watch me go to the exact correct spot but not have the skill to do much. Hockey training good, soccer training non-existent. I remember the only goal I ever scored. I posted up top right and Andrew hit me with one of those lazer passes that he was so good at...I shot (kicked) 5 hole on the goalie and scored. See, isn't this the very essence of Andrew?...always making sure everyone has fun and success. He must have passed me that ball a hundred times until I finally scored. You know the smile on his face when that happened. I can still see it.

Andrew was smiling too when I finally coaxed him out for some ice hockey. It really didn't take that much coaxing, he is a hockey fan extrodinare and has some great skill at that sport too. He played goalie when he was younger but he can skate out too and had a great understanding of the game.

In the past 3 months I saw Andrew 4 times. 2 times in Utah with Sherri, once for a meeting with the soccer crew, and one time that Andrew and Sherri drove down to San Jose to watch my older son play hockey in a Midget AAA tournament. After the game I remember Andrew wrestling around on the grass at Logitech ice with my younger son while we waited for my older son to change. My boys think the world of Andrew and Sherri. They were upset at the news of Andrew's passing.

Truly, I did not know until now how lucky I've been to have Andrew in my life. It's hard to imagine a life without him for all of us. The world does not look the same to me and there are so many unanswered questions. I feel that I have failed Andrew as I didn't have a clue. I'm sorry.

To the family, I hope that your memories of Andrew will carry you to peace. To Andrews friends, may we all remember him with that big smile especially when he knew he pulled one over on you.

My deepest sympathies,

Dan K. Anderson (Utahdan)
aDSC00341.jpg

I've come to this thread dozens of times ....planning to post and just haven't been able to get the words out.

I didn't know Andrew as well as many of you. However, I am deeply saddened because I carry many big and small memories of Andrew. It has been said many times that Andrew gave much more than he took. That is so very true. Andrew gave much to me, even in the casual relationship that we shared. For those who are close to him, I can only imagine the impact that he made on your lives. I can only imagine how painful his passing must be. My heart aches very much for your pain.

Andrew was the first person that I met on this forum. He was a big help to me when I got my FJR. I quickly noticed and appreciated his passion for riding. Because you own a motorcycle doesn't mean you have that passion, -as that passion comes from within. Andrew certainly had this passion and it made me want to be around him and know him better.

We traded lots of dialogue. Often trading notes on future rides, past rides. When coaching me on an upcoming ride in Colorado, He'd include pics and I'd email back: "Stop sending me pics!!, I won't have to ride there if you show me everything!!"

Andrew loved motorcycling and he was generous in sharing his passion. He'd do this via organizing nice group rides. On these rides, everyone was welcome, and he did a wonderful job of sharing his love for riding with others.

Kyla and I shared some stories on "little" things that made Andrew so very special. I told her that her dad, on group rides, would have a saddlebag filled with snacks for everyone. She laughed and shared a couple of similar stories. Even in small and simple ways, Andrew was a giving person who wanted everyone around him to share his passion and love for motorcycles.

(Kyla, here(clicky) is the picture of your dad's saddle bag that I promised you)

When Andrew and I spoke, it was always about bikes, about rides, about roads, about challenges, about suspension blah blah blah. We never went deep into personal things, but it was obvioius that family came first for Andrew.

Andrew always had that fun grin on his face and you couldn't help but smile back. That is a wonderful quality and I'll miss it very much.

I'm so sorry to know there is pain in the hearts of those who loved Andrew, and I'm devastated to think that there may have been pain within Andrew. I'm guilt ridden that I took more than I gave when it came to Andrew, I always expected there would be time to repay all of his fun and generosity.

Andy, thank you for all big and small, you are wonderful. While I'm so happy that you are now in peace with your maker, I still miss you, I still can't help but wish you were here.

For those of you who are carrying a heavy heart and are in grief over the loss of your family member or friend, ....My heart aches for you and my prayers are with you. You loved a very special man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost a week has gone by since I found out about the passing of Andrew. It has taken some time for me to process the events that have unfolded. Ironically, I was actually less than 5 miles from his home when I found out.

My first thoughts were how did this happen? I had ridden with Andrew many times in the past. In fact I, along with 2 other riders rode a little further than most with Andrew, when we travelled more than 1000 miles in less than 1 day. Here's a photo I collected from a previous thread and a link to the ride details if you care to read about them.

SS1K Ride Report

This photo was taken around 4.00am, safely at our intended destination.

DSC07288.jpg

This photo brings back fond memories, as I believe it was the dirtiest Andrews FJR had ever gotten. If you knew him, you would know that his bike was going to get washed and waxed very soon after!

DSC07291.jpg

For those who may not know, I met Andrew as a result of this M/C forum, the same way I've met many other good people who hang out here. In Northern CA, there are what I would describe as a 'core group' of FJR riders who get together on a regular basis for day rides with the intent of a decent lunch stop thrown in. I'm not going to name them, but you know who you are. This group also keeps in touch beyond this forum. You now know that Andrew was part of this group.

Even though in the past when I had read about other forum members being killed on their bikes, and while this saddened me, this news hit a lot closer to home. While I have enjoyed riding for the biggest part of my life, my goal is to hopefully (knock on wood) not get killed on motorcycle. I believe that learning from others' misfortune is just as important a lesson as anything a riding school can teach.

As a friend and fellow rider, it was important for me to know how the accident occurred, as I had a good idea of Andrews riding skill set. Unlike some people who you meet who have no business piloting a motorcycle (at least who I feel comfortable riding around), Andrew approached the sport with complete integrity and was very safety oriented.

Upon passing the news to my wife, who was just as shocked and saddened as I, we later began into a serious debate about the pros and con's of riding a motorcycle. Neither of us ever want to be in the situation that now faces Andrews family. I later found out that his accident was not the result of error or road conditions, and while it doesn't change the outcome, was actually a relief to hear in this respect.

While it may seem easy to rush and form judgement surrounding what leads a man to do this, this just re-affirms to me a belief that nobody really knows the dynamics of what goes on behind closed doors in a relationship. I don't care to know all the details, as I believe they should be preserved only for the people involved. From the outside looking in, what hurts the most is that Andrew did not feel he could reach out to someone to confide in. I can think of many people outside his family who would have rushed to him and help him make some sense of his problems. Instead, for whatever reason Andrew choose the path we now know.

Some things you may not have known about Andrew.

• He was a very intelligent person, with the resume to back it up.
  • Motorcycles were a big part of his life. I'd say the bug had bitten him hard.
  • He was meticulous in everything he approached in life and was a driven individual.
  • He was very thoughtful of others and would try to help anyone who was trying to help themselves.
  • When I went riding with him, my camera was obsolete!
  • His dry English whit was often confused by some as being harsh.
  • If he disagreed with your opinion, you would probably know about it sooner rather than later.
  • His FJR was a very special possession to him, and sparked a lot of good conversation.
  • He kept his bike cleaner than I keep mine!
  • He always spoke very highly of his parents and family and was a proud father to his children.
  • If a ride was being planned, you can bet he was figuring out how to fit it in his schedule.
  • If he couldn't make the ride, you can bet he would let you know how bummed out he was for not making it.
While online forums have been the catalyst for meeting great people, they're a 2 edged sword. Without them, I know for sure I wouldn't have made friends with a lot of like minded people. So while the good news travels far and wide, the bad follows just as fast. This year has brought more than enough bad news to my door and I hope that 2008 is different. I miss you Andrew, but am glad I had the opportunity to meet you and call you a friend.
My deepest condolences go out to Andrews family at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheri

I just got an call from ToeCutter that said we had lost Andrew and to get on the forum, we just got back from India so have'nt caught up on things but I'm going to miss his as well as others.I've know him from the forum and have been on at least one ride with you.It will be a great loss to all of us whom have know him.

rogerfjrfaster

ExSkiBum emailed me yesterday about our mutual friend Andrew's passing.

I just read ALL the posts about OrangevaleFJR on the FJR Forum, and then checked my forum PM.

On July 4th Andrew sent me a email, because he was remembering our ride from Cameron Park to Lassen and back…a 16 hour adrenaline rush because we were going so damn fast, and each had the yellow ticket to prove it. This was 7 months after my crash, (and my vow never to ride again), Andrew had contacted me via email, just to see how I was doing. I replied that things were good and he indicated all was well with Him and his family. I didn’t really think much about it at the time, he was always so friendly…but maybe he was reaching out? Maybe not. Now I’ll never know.

After reading all the posts, and remembering our rides together, both with groups or just Andrew and I, brought out a flood of tears :cray: for Andrew, for his Widow, children and family, and his extended FJR family. I'm praying for all and hope we can someday make sense out of this. I’m working nightshifts through Wednesday, so I can’t make the service, but I'll still be praying.

BB III

This photo was taken around 4.00am, safely at our intended destination.
DSC07288.jpg
Wow, I hadn't even thought about that ride we shared... Andrew rode with a broken wrist and never complained. That picture will soon adorn my desk top.

Allow me to share my moment with the man.

This past summer at WFO I met Andrew. 2 riding buddies I had invited to join me on this both bailed but I went anyway. And except for George Z., whom I had previously met through a mutual friend, I didn't know anyone there.

So on the first night, I'm wandering through the banquet dining room looking for an empty seat and some congenial looking types to join for dinner.

Andrew was working the room, spotted me and picked up on what I was doing. He came to me, introduced himself and took me over to his fine wife Sherri, introduced me to her and sat me next to her for dinner.

Sherri, it was a pleasure to have met you. Also, Mr. and Mrs. C-Dog and some others at the table whom I can't recall.

He went out of his way to do this.

I've been reading through these posts, and people who never even met him are deeply moved. I can understand why.

[at least 10 minutes passed while I re-read this post up to here]

So I guess I'm at a loss for words. He seemed like a really good fella. Andrew, I'll hoist one for you. Godspeed.

Ride safe everyone.

Dean from Mission Viejo.

Wow, it is still hard for me to think that he is gone. I didn't want to believe my brother when he called and told me the news. Andrew was one of nicest, most sincere individuals that I've met. He positively touched more lives than he could image.

You will be missed my friend.

God NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I don't log in all that often these days ... F*ck whats all this?

I am just stunned.

I have great memories of meeting up with Andrew on one his trips out here and enjoying some fine Colorado roads.

Ride in peace my friend. I'll miss you.

Jim

I have been away for a while and just read this unimaginable news. I have spent the last 30 minutes reading posts and looking at pictures of a man I only knew thru this forum. Yet, in this cyber atmosphere that we shared, I came to know him as a truly wonderful person. His posts, his pictures, and his reviews were always of great interest and I never skipped them.

My sincere wishes to his wife, family, and friends. My prayers are with you during this difficult time.

OCK913 KP in Orlando, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.