Well, I think this is a new one...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is 3 years since the last post, and I can't find anything newer. I read all the posts I can find on this subject.

Yeah, it happened to my '05. Walked out to the garage, and my saddlebag was open...but it wasn't.

Liquid Nails was my solution.

But my question: I tried gently tugging on the other side. I really don't want that side to also loosen and go dragging while I'm riding it. I want to fix it before it breaks. How do I get it off?

I saw a suggestion about using heat. How? Hair dryer? Blow it on the outside of the case, or try to force air into the gap?

Any other ways to get the shell loose?

Since I bought my '06 Feejer several weeks ago, I've noticed the bags are not made nearly as well as the hard bags on my '04 Kawi Vulcan Nomad. The Kawi latch is better, the hinges bigger, the inner liner is light years better than Yami's. There was a work-around for the key lock being needed for every time the bag is opened, too. just an observation

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a zero mph drop on the side that hasn't disbonded. Of course, protect the paint with towels and shit like that. Continue the Zero MPH drop until the saddle bag disbands. Then, cement that bastard together like it should have been in the first place.

Oh, get video footage of each drop and post it here....I need proof on how many bites it takes to get to the center of of........hold on....nevermind.

I just found this thread. I needed something else to worry about. I don't know why everyone's wasting time repairing the bags. I like the rugged, no-nonsense look of bag minus shell. They should come this way from the factory. When one side or the other comes off my '06, I'll just take the other side off so both sides look the same.

Why not use high temp RTV gasket maker? Clean up and apply generously, then clamp the cover on with duct tape and let dry overnight. It will conform to all uneven surfaces and the squeeze will even it out.

odot posted: <snip>I need proof on how many bites it takes to get to the center of of........hold on....nevermind.
Three. It takes three.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any time I need to separate two things glued together with anything less than the hard epoxies, I use upholstery thread as you would use a hiker's cable-saw (pocket chain-saw). I use old screwdrivers for pull-handles, because upholstery thread easily cuts human skin. Using a sawing motion, pulling on alternating handles, any sealant-type glues are no match for this "cutting" thread. The thread should find its' way between the bag and cover plate easily. Cuts foam tape, as well as most glues or sealants. Any fabric shop has real upholstery thread (ask for it), and it works in any home sewing machine, if you want to make invincible repairs to any cloth items later.

hi.gif

Cheers,

Infrared

I just found this thread. I needed something else to worry about. I don't know why everyone's wasting time repairing the bags. I like the rugged, no-nonsense look of bag minus shell. They should come this way from the factory. When one side or the other comes off my '06, I'll just take the other side off so both sides look the same.
Won't work....the inner shell isn't attached to anything other than the outer shell, which IS attached to the other half the of bag with a big piano hinge. The inner shell is positively located in the correct "latching" position by being attached to the colored outside shell.

Won't work....the inner shell isn't attached to anything other than the outer shell, which IS attached to the other half the of bag with a big piano hinge. The inner shell is positively located in the correct "latching" position by being attached to the colored outside shell.
Damn.

Sooooooooooooooo.............how many zero mph drops have you had on the left side?

Not to drag up an old thread but this happened to me yesterday on the interstate. I was doing about 65 mph when it almost felt like a rear tire going down; pulled over and there she was (the lid) dangling by the hinges. I didn't have any tape, but as luck would have it there was a garbage bag nearly at my feet. I made a long enough strip to wrap around the whole bag to hold the lid until I could get to my destination. Pretty sure I'm going to use silicone adhesive to re-attach; I'll use duct tape or similar to hod the lid in place till it cures.

I tugged on the other side bag (pretty hard) but that 'puppy' didn't budge; I'll leave that one alone (at least for now).

You might consider Lexel ultra clear adhesive sealant. It bonds extremely well and took care of my saddlebag nicely.

Funny. I don't remember this thread. But good timing as my left saddlebag lid is de-laminating on my 04 FJR. Each week I can gently pull it a little further away. I was wondering how the damned thing was attached.

Fortunately for me, I have another complete sidebag lid on it's way to me freshly painted from Garauld.