Well, It Coulda Happened At Speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
What's wrong with this picture?

IMG_1115.jpg

I had just snugged up the pinch bolt and put the torque wrench in to tighten her up. Boink! Shit. Never a dull moment at the 'Nut' house.

This would have happened eventually... Inside the break, about 70% of the surface is 'white' where the metal snapped. The other 30% consists of two 'silver' pockets. Bubbles in the casting I ASSume. Can't imagine what would have happened if this had let go at speed... My guess is that I would test the limits of my Blue Shield membership. Good thing it happened in the garage while I was working on the bike.

I think the thing that is gonna really suck is that the ignition seems to be attached using anti-theft hardware. Unless the shop has those super secret tools to pop the assembly off, I'll be in for a new ignition too. Oh goody. Two keys to schlep. No. On second thought, I believe I'll ask for all new keyed alike locks for the bags and future top box, if I get one.

Eh, what the hell. I'm in Chicago for meetings all next week. Ain't gonna be riding anyway. Hopefully, the parts dood can get a new one by next Saturday...

I'd say this is rather serious. Could you post some pictures of the fracture zone?

Also, you might want to report this to NHTSA.

Must be the karmic payback for one too many nights of post-whoring.

I can't believe he had the time away from his computer to do that!
Lookit, can I help it if 1) I can type fast and multitask like a mofo and 2) you simians still have your knuckles dragging the ground and consequently, are still using 1 finger to type? You're part of that test wherein they gave a thousand monkeys keyboards to prove the theory that they would eventually duplicate the works of Shakespeare, aren't you? 800-328-7448 & die, emmeffers! :beee: :fuck:

I'd say this is rather serious. Could you post some pictures of the fracture zone?
Also, you might want to report this to NHTSA.
I've tried a couple of shots of the fracture zone, but I can't get the damn camera to focus right. I'll try again if the dealer doesn't let me keep it until the new one comes in.

NHTSA? I'll see how the dealer reacts before going that route. Then again, Cypress is prolly already dialing-up the suits...

You're part of that test wherein they gave a thousand monkeys keyboards to prove the theory that they would eventually duplicate the works of Shakespeare, aren't you?
Shhhhh..... you'll let it out and everyone will want in... thats how I pay for my Farkles! :dribble:

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

1. You have no handlebar.

2. The bra on the tank is not the same type as the one(s) on the saddlebags.

3. I agree. How the hell did you have enough time to wrench on your bike?

4. What is your torque wrench caibrated in? Foot-tons?

Man, that is a b-a-d thing to have happened. I hear J-B Weld works wonders. A friend uses it on just about everything.

Good luck,

Len

Edited to korekt bad grammer.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wrong with this picture?
Nothing at all, it's the guy with the wrench in his hands that I'm worried about. :lol:

Step..........away..........from............the...........bike..........TWN. :stop:

Must be the karmic payback for one too many nights of post-whoring.
I can't believe he had the time away from his computer to do that!  
3. I agree. How the hell did you have enough time to wrench on your bike?
Nothing at all, it's the guy with the wrench in his hands that I'm worried about. 
Step..........away..........from............the...........bike..........TWN.

Life is tuff when your TWN!

:p

Might want to talk to Warchild about the ignition lock. He pulled his out when he had the triple trees powder coated in Hirshjaeger and I remember him talking about it. I think it was a bitch, but maybe he learned either some trick or time saving tip.

Ouch!

@TWN,

Wow - you should buy a lottery ticket tonight, 'cuz you're one lucky dude to have that happen in the garage instead of on the road!

RickL

Metal fatigue not good!
Believe me, I am glad for you that it didn't happen at speed, but I don't think anything catastrophic would have developed.

The tube really could not move out of the tree - the screw would have kept it on one side and there is enough material on the other to prevent it from popping out.

Nonetheless, what a PIA - I feel for you!

-BD

DAMN! Foot Tons, Oh My! Oxidation! Step away from the bike. Put the wrench down. Pop a cap on some suds. Let us know what the Dealer says about your clamps. Glad no body got hurt in that wreck. TJ :blink:

Notifying NHTSA has nothing to do with incenting you dealer to treat you well.

NHTSA tracks safety related problems and decides when to issue recall notices. Your dealer or Yamaha could forget to report this.

Aw man, that sucks bro. Were you doing the Wilbers spring install that we started on in Armand's garage months ago?

Thought I saw you leading a bunch of bikes on Ortega yesterday, guess not.

C'mon Tim, let's RIDE!! And where the hell did BigD go anyway?

Just so's y'all know, the torque for that bolt is spec'd a 24 ft-lb. I had hand tightened the bolt and put a 1/4 round with the torque wrench when she popped. So there was a very, very low amount of pressure on that failed piece.

And Brun, you're prolly right, but I wouldn't have wanted to test that theory.

Rick, yeah, I finally got around to changing the springs. We'll see how long it takes to score a new one. Then we can go for a ride.

Shit. Maybe I should have the dealer do the Speiglers... <_< I don't think the missus would appriciate Warchild pissing on her freshly laid flowers on my tombstone...

That truely sucks.

But like the others said better the garage than the road

Larry

Latest posts