Well, It Coulda Happened At Speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I saw you leading a bunch of bikes on Ortega yesterday, guess not.
FatNakedGuy - that was me, leading my Star Touring and Riding Chapter from San Marcos/Escondido over Ortega for a stop at Dana Point. Had a great ride. Remember seeing another FJR heading east, must've been you.

John

I woulda bet money ($) that it wouldn't have caused a crash. The lower still held (stronger of the 2), the upper part of the tube would have still been located correctly, just not as sturdy as it was, and the likelyhood of it coming apart at the 25mph max speed you are known to observe would have been very slim.

Might want to talk to Warchild about the ignition lock.  He pulled his out when he had the triple trees powder coated in Hirshjaeger and I remember him talking about it.  I think it was a bitch, but maybe he learned either some trick or time saving tip.
Sadly, it IS a complete bitch, and there are NO shortcuts or tricks.

The ignition is basically held there by a one-time-use "anti-theft" bolt that, by design, has it's bolt head sheared off during installation. The remaining bolt shaft is filed down to the dull circular point you see when you turn the triple-tree upside down.

To separate the two components, the bolt has to be drilled out. There is no other way to remove your ignition assembly from your broken triple tree. Sorry, 'bro, but that's the way it is....

If you experience no joy with a warranty claim, do note that there are other triple-tree options available for the FJR. This might end up being important to you, as the upper triple tree retails for wall over $100.00, and is currently on backorder; there are none in the Yamaha Supply system as of this writing. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
[FatNakedGuy - that was me, leading my Star Touring and Riding Chapter from San Marcos/Escondido over Ortega for a stop at Dana Point. Had a great ride. Remember seeing another FJR heading east, must've been you.
John
Did he look like his pic?? :puke:

[FatNakedGuy - that was me, leading my Star Touring and Riding Chapter from San Marcos/Escondido over Ortega for a stop at Dana Point.  Had a great ride.  Remember seeing another FJR heading east, must've been you.
John
Did he look like his pic?? :puke:
Rick is a little husky... but nothing like his pic.... [SIZE=21pt]THANK GOD![/SIZE] and he wears clothes... [SIZE=21pt]THANK GOD![/SIZE] :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

Right there with ya Rogue, nothing like the Avitar pic (Thank God). Heck, that would have to be considered FJR abuse.

J

TWN,

I would be utterly Pissed off if that would happen to my bike. I would think that the part broke due to bad quality, therefore it should be replaced free of charge.

Unless, of course, this is a picture of your hand:

thumbs.jpg

in which case you might want to use this to repair it:

GLUE.JPG

I woulda bet money ($) that it wouldn't have caused a crash. The lower still held (stronger of the 2), the upper part of the tube would have still been located correctly, just not as sturdy as it was, and the likelyhood of it coming apart at the 25mph max speed you are known to observe would have been very slim.
Er, you maybe right about the bottom pinch bolts, but as I said, I wouldn't have wanted to find out. And 25 mph?! Holy shit! You mean this thing goes faster than 10? Scary fast! :eek:

Sadly, it IS a complete bitch, and there are NO shortcuts or tricks.
The ignition is basically held there by a one-time-use "anti-theft" bolt that, by design, has it's bolt head sheared off during installation. The remaining bolt shaft is filed down to the dull circular point you see when you turn the triple-tree upside down.

To separate the two components, the bolt has to be drilled out. There is no other way to remove your ignition assembly from your broken triple tree. Sorry, 'bro, but that's the way it is....

If you experience no joy with a warranty claim, do note that there are other triple-tree options available for the FJR. This might end up being important to you, as the upper triple tree retails for wall over $100.00, and is currently on backorder; there are none in the Yamaha Supply system as of this writing.

Happy to report that the dealer just called. New top tree is in and ignition be changed! And yes, even the dealer squealed about the ig. nuts... Looks like I got the last one?!

By the way... Dealer never even questioned whether or not this was a warranty claim. All who saw the break basically said, "Holy Shit! That shouldn't happen! Bad casting..." Anyhow, I'm all good. Parts here and I can ride again...

Good deal Tdub, the Rest Homes will have to guard the pussy lockers once more.... :eek:

Material. There were two 'pockets' of air in the casting. I snugged up the pinch bolt by hand, put the T/W to it, got 1/4 turn and boink! Covered under warrante, but still a pain...