Well it finally happened...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJMadco

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm writing this from the comfort of my recliner, nursing some soreness and stiff joints. After many miles and over 15 years of riding the inevitable happened, I hit a patch of ice yesterday on the way to work and WHOOSH the bike was gone. I was traveling about 45 MPH in traffic (that was paying attention), I see the patch of ice with no time to avoid it. I didn't make any changes to my body position, the throttle, the brakes or the bars. The bottom of the bike washed out to the right (front and back at the same time) and I went to the left. The bike slid on the left side and flipped to the right side. You can imagine the damage, both sides of plastic and saddlebags, right bar and controls, mirrors, foot peg, etc. It's probably a goner. Luckily I invested in a Cortec Epic Jacket and pants. My pants are trashed (especially the left knee), my jacket is scuffed on the left and right sides, boots are gone, gloves trashed and helmet hit both front and back. The good news out of this, the gear worked and I stood up once I quit sliding. I didn't hit anything of substance with my body so I'm just bruised and sprained my wrist. When you ride wear all the gear, it will save your skin and bones!!! I'm sold on it. Bad news out of this, it scared my lovely wife and she says no more.... We'll see....

Stay safe and keep the rubber side down!!

Cheers!

:scooter:

Last edited by a moderator:
Heal up quick and start looking for another FJR!

Hopefully the SO comes around and gives you another chance...just stay away from the ice next time. ;)

--G

I HATE reading these things but I'm glad there was no trip to the "get-well-quick" place, no life-flight, no injuries requiring stitches of casts.

It's been cold here (30's at night) and I'm recovering from the flu , so I haven't ridden for a few weeks. One of my fears is the slick white lines and cross-walks because I leave for work around 0430. Your "ice patch" story is exactly what worries me.

Any soreness will increase over the next few days, as will bruising. You might find that some of your body will turn lovely shades of purple and green.

Don't be surprised by the extra stiffness.....it's a part of falling down and sliding.

Heal quickly! It's New Years weekend so you can safely "hide" self-medication.

Here's hoping your wife-unit is understanding of your passion and that you'll soon find a replacement.

Glad you are relatively okay there JJ.

Good gear rocks...and glad those around you on the road had their wits about them.

Looks like you geared up...you just need to watch what temps you ride in.

...Here's hoping your wife-unit is understanding of your passion and that you'll soon find a replacement.
Here! Here! :clapping:

Maybe if she takes a hard stance on this, agreeing to a 40/40 rule or something would help her back down. (some folks stick to <40deg and >40%rain, no riding). Glad you are ok

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe if she takes a hard stance on this, agreeing to a 40/40 rule or something would help her back down. (some folks stick to <40deg and >40%rain, no riding). Glad you are ok
A big +1 on the rule...

Glad to hear you had the gear on, and your here to type about it.

Glad you are ok! Everybody thought I was crazy for getting back on after breaking my back and pelvis, but that what we do.

Carl

Many thanks everybody. I like the 40 - 40 rule. We'll see how the next few weeks go, but I'm getting back on something...

Cheers!

:scooter:

OUCH! Glad you're ok. Hopefully your wife will see that you enjoy riding and will relent to you being back in the saddle.

Good luck. ;)

Sorry to hear about the get-off. This is exactly why once the weather around here gets to the point of forming black ice my bike gets parked for the season. This season also gives me the time to go over the bike thoroughly and add more farkles.

Always hate to hear of anyone going down, but I'm damn glad you suffered no serious injuries (or worse). Give the wife some time, she might change her mind.

Shit happens I guess. Good thing you wore the gear!!! Take some time to heal up, figure out what's going on with the bike, and get back on the road when you can!!

Sorry about the wife. Maybe time will bring her back around.

Alexi

After 20 years in the military, you need this riding for your sanity and as a reward. Wife is definitely gonna be nervous first time you are back on the bike...but after taking it easy for awhile in the right conditions (40/40) with good results will get her conditioned to good results.

That is unless you're the type to do wheelies and stoppies and ask people to "hold your beer" while you do stuff... :D

Good gear rocks...and glad those around you on the road had their wits about them.

...Here's hoping your wife-unit is understanding of your passion and that you'll soon find a replacement.
Er...uhm....I assume you understand I meant replacement FJR.... not wife-unit.... ;)

:rofl:

Er...uhm....I assume you understand I meant replacement FJR.... not wife-unit.... ;)

:rofl:
:lol: :lol: :lol: