Western NY Suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aasland

Depleted
Reaction score
Any "must ride" roads, or "must see" attractions in western New York? (between Niagara and Binghamton).

In August my father and I (and my brother if he remains unemployed) are going from Minnesota to Cabot Trail and back. Much has been written about parts east of Binghampton, but I'm having a hard time selecting routes from Niagara to Binghamton.

Any suggestion?

Any "must ride" roads, or "must see" attractions in western New York? (between Niagara and Binghamton).

In August my father and I (and my brother if he remains unemployed) are going from Minnesota to Cabot Trail and back. Much has been written about parts east of Binghampton, but I'm having a hard time selecting routes from Niagara to Binghamton.

Any suggestion?
I thinking your going to stop in Niagara for some sightseeing. The best views are from the Canadian side. Also make sure to ride the Parkway and go downriver to Niagara-On-the Lake. I was born and raised in this area and know ALL the back roads. There are some nice roads along the lake in Upstate New York north of I90 but may I suggest an alternate and consider eastern Ontario and then drop back into the States at Gananoque (Watertown on the US side) which lines you up for some very fun roads around the Lake Placid / Lake George area. You need a passport to get across the border (don't blame us, blame it on the Homeland Security Department). If you're interested PM me and I could be talked into joining you for this part of the ride. We may even drag RaYzerman19 along if you feel we need an anchor.

Eastern Ontario has some truly great roads and I'm in the mist of organizing a little romp on August 6 -7 for Bustanut and some other hooligans. We planning on doing the Ompah Stomp and the Calabogie Boogie to name a few. Let me know. If you could work it out to join us it could be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Route 14 down past Seneca Lake and through and below Watkins Glen is supposed to be a great motorcycle road. Never been on it, but it's in the list of outstanding MC rides.

Dan

I have ridden through NY and the Finger Lakes region a few times... PM me with your email addy and I'll send you a couple of routes.... how much time you got? You likely want to go through Letchworth State Park. You can make Binghampton from Niagara in a day, but maybe you want to take an extra half day or so, or stop this side of Binghampton. Choices, choices. Is there a destination beyond Binghampton?

The ..hamptons are on Longue Island ya know. :huh: Anyways, I suggest the Corning Glass museum (for the ladies) and the Glenn Curtis Museum (for the men) in Hammondsport. Actually, they are both excellent. Also, the Bully Hill vineyard north of Hammondsport is worthwhile...

I thinking your going to stop in Niagara for some sightseeing. The best views are from the Canadian side. Also make sure to ride the Parkway and go downriver to Niagara-On-the Lake. I was born and raised in this area and know ALL the back roads.
Cool! Got my Mapsource updated!

There are some nice roads along the lake in Upstate New York north of I90 but may I suggest an alternate and consider eastern Ontario and then drop back into the States at Gananoque (Watertown on the US side) which lines you up for some very fun roads around the Lake Placid / Lake George area. You need a passport to get across the border (don't blame us, blame it on the Homeland Security Department). If you're interested PM me and I could be talked into joining you for this part of the ride. We may even drag RaYzerman19 along if you feel we need an anchor.

Eastern Ontario has some truly great roads and I'm in the mist of organizing a little romp on August 6 -7 for Bustanut and some other hooligans. We planning on doing the Ompah Stomp and the Calabogie Boogie to name a few. Let me know. If you could work it out to join us it could be fun.
Our return trip will be through Quebec and Ontario. No way I'm going close to Montreal without a night at Dieu Du Ciel. We may even be in the vicinity of Calabogie ... I got that in my GPS too!

But we're not leaving home until August 8th, and then coming back through Ontario a couple weeks later, so we'll miss your group. Thanks for the invite though!

Route 14 down past Seneca Lake and through and below Watkins Glen is supposed to be a great motorcycle road. Never been on it, but it's in the list of outstanding MC rides.
Hm ... I'll put it on my "might do" list. If I go up Keuka then down Seneca, then I can go across to Ithaca. Been there once (Ithaca Brewing Co) and I recall that there are a ton of great places to eat, which makes it a good stopping place for the evening.

However, when I look at the terrain in the southwest part of NY I see lots of hills ... I wonder if that is a better place to ride?

I have ridden through NY and the Finger Lakes region a few times... PM me with your email addy and I'll send you a couple of routes.... how much time you got? You likely want to go through Letchworth State Park. You can make Binghampton from Niagara in a day, but maybe you want to take an extra half day or so, or stop this side of Binghampton. Choices, choices. Is there a destination beyond Binghampton?
PM I shall. We have time - would be happy to spend an extra day or two to enjoy the area. Letchworth looks good, thanks. Was it Park Road you were thinking of? Also, I see that there's a Coneseraga Creek nearby which looks interesting.

Our goal for the trip is the Cabot Trail. I only mentioned Binghamton because I had a cousin there and had originally planned to see him but he has since moved to Virginia. Either way, after Binghamton there's a whole bunch of great looking stuff in the Catskills then up to the Adirondacks before we get into Vermont. *That* area does not present a problem.

The ..hamptons are on Longue Island ya know. :huh: Anyways, I suggest the Corning Glass museum (for the ladies) and the Glenn Curtis Museum (for the men) in Hammondsport. Actually, they are both excellent. Also, the Bully Hill vineyard north of Hammondsport is worthwhile...
Ooooh the Glenn Curtiss museum looks great!