What Color Mag-knight???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Plain Dave

Just Plain Dave
Reaction score
I am going to order the Mag-Knight tank protector for my 05 FJR. What color looks the best? Does the blue really match as well as their picture depicts?

I ordered the black one to match the other black stuff on my '05. I followed the instructions and stuck it to the tank. I don't like it. One of the corners already has a small crack in it. It's on my shelf for now. I don't know if I will ever put it back on. I will put a message into magnight to see if they will take it back. I think the paperwork said you can return it with a 15% restock fee. :shout:

Anyone else having problems with the Mag-Knight? I was just about ready to place an order for the entire tank set... :( In carbon look, of course!

--G

My carbon look Mag-Knight tank bra has been on for 2 1/2 months...no problemo at this point.

I followed M-K's instructions for installation and watched the install video on their website. The video said to be careful abt lifting the center part as it may lead to cracking...as I recall.

I just sent an email to the president of mag knight. we shall see if i get an appropriate response. Keep ya posted.

mo

I put the CF Mag-Knight on my '05. It looks great, IMO. Did it early this spring and needed the heat gun to warm it up (just like they recommend in their video). Once it was warm, it took several minutes to work it in place. Only had to do that for the initial installation, since then perfect fit and I do not have to worry about my 'stich scratching the tank. I would not hesitate to buy it again.

Dave

I have the color match blue on my '05. It has been on for about 7 months now and it is beginning to crack in a few places. It also has wrinkled under the magnet locations from my tank bag. Despite these issues, I really like the product. I will wait a couple months and probably buy another one. I don't think any of the other available options are forever fixes either so if I gotta re-apply every year or so ...... I might be willing to do that.

I have the Carbon Fiber Mag Knight on the '05 ultra-fast blue and it looks great. Using a heat gun it went on just fine, no problems at all, very easy. No cracking yet, but the material on top of the magnet sheet that gives it the Carbon Fiber look is starting to detach from the magnet due to the tight fit between the Corbin seat and the tank. I will probably trim the Mag Knight away from the seat and see if that fixes the problem. Probably won't look as good but other than that small problem, I do like it very much and would probably order it again. The Mag Knight sheet around the fuel nozzle is still perfect. B)

Thanks for the feedback folks. I think this will be my next addition to the scoot. Who needs a college fund anyway? ;) Sure hope SO doesn't read this....

--G

I'm gonna order this! Looks really nice, wont crack, come off or peel!

should last years before replacing!

I love the way it highlights the tank!

Just thought I'd let ya'll know about it :D

Click here to see the Product

UnCaged :assasin:

I refuse to let Money control my life, Money is only a tool to aid me in the quality of life I choose to live! If a Saran wrapped FJR is what someone wants that's fine by me, I'm not here to be anyones Judge.

Enjoy your FJR......... B)

Own your money, don't let it own you!.... :)

UnCaged

I've had the MagKnight side piece for a couple of months now - color matched to the Galaxy blue. It looks good, protects the tank from scuffs from legs and belt buckle, and was easy to install. No cracking or separation seen. Follow the installation instructions carefully, soak it in the sun for a time making sure that it is warm before attempting installation...

For me it's been a great product and I'm glad I bought it. :good:

I've got the Mag-Knight carbon fiber on my 05'. I wasn't all that pleased with the fit at first, and almost sent it back. Glad I didn't cause after a couple of weeks on the bike (warm gas tank) and some re-adjusting, it fits great.

UnCaged, that stuff looks pretty cool. How is it attached? Does the Carbon Fiber look like the Mag Knight Carbon Fiber? The website was a little short on details.

I have the CF MagKnight on my 04. It is tricky to install perfectly, but it's been on for 2 years and still looks perfect. I also use a magnetic tank bag and it hasn't affected the MK as far as I can tell. Highly recommend the product. :D

I've had the silver one ('03 color) on for about 4 months now, and it still looks and fits perfect. I also used a heatgun to install it, and it formed perfectly.

Hey, anything's better than that clear crap! That junk lasted until the first rain.