What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice day yesterday and today in Philly - no bike though.
sadsmiley.gif

High 50's today, only had enough time to get the FJR warmed up and changed the oil. I did change the settings on the forks and rear shock from the factory settings to the suggested starting point on the forum. Only 4 miles back to storage, can't wait to try out the new settings soon!

Sunny and high temp reached 50 yesterday. Couldn't pass up the opportunity for one last ride in 2014 on my new auburn mistress. Burned up the whole tank of Stabil treated fuel (pew!) and filled her back up before I tucked her back into the garage.

Received the new Gen 3 Anti-Vibe / FZ1 (prototype) Aux light brackets from WynPro just before Xmas, and shot them with some rattle can black yesterday, so will be working at fitting them up over the next day or two. Stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, Mark!! Good looking '07.

First order of business is to get rid of that monstrosity of a rear trunk, and also do a close inspection of the rear sub-frame for cracks. Those pelican style cases weigh a ton, even when they are empty. The FJR's rear sub-frame will not hold up for long with that much weight perched up on the stock luggage rack. There are lots of better choices out there if you want a top box.

Pretty sure those are FIRST-gen Canyon Dancers before they went with a cup. I'll look. The seller generously loaned them to me for transport.

Thanks Fred,

We'll do. Where are the cracks usually seen? Near the frame connection bolts? I think I read on here somewhere that somebody redesigned a better subframe. I'll have to break out the search engine when I have more time. The pelican box is actually smaller than it looks. I think the shot from below, and wide angle lens made it look like a monster. You couldn't put a helmet in it.

I have a Coocase S-50 that I was using on my FZ1, but am hesitant to mount it, until I look into the subframe thing. You could pick the entire FZ1 up with the subframe on it.

MKC_1550%20-1small.jpg

Medpilot,

I had no idea such a thing existed, until we started to try and tie it down, and he took pity on my stupidity. There will be one in my collection soon enough.

smile.png

Your tie down is like my Canyon Dancer as well, the Original model.

There is more than one model and size of Canyon Dancer.

The Canyon Dancer II is the one with the "CUPs"

https://www.canyondancer.com/products

I've found the original to be indispensable for tying down fully faired, and most other, bikes.

As to what I did to the Gray Ghost today, I looked longingly at her as I went outside into the teeth of the blizzard (7deg F, 30 mph wind, and snow) to clear the front steps and the drift in the driveway. April can't get here soon enough!

Thanks Fred,We'll do. Where are the cracks usually seen? Near the frame connection bolts? I think I read on here somewhere that somebody redesigned a better subframe. I'll have to break out the search engine when I have more time...
This is typical of the cracking rear frame:

MW191234b.JPG

P2210053.jpg

Ironbuttrally260.jpg

CAM00163_zps81bae13c.jpg

Forum member garauld makes a Gen I and later Gens frame stiffener kit, send him a PM.

We'll, after 29k miles on the OEM battery, replaced with a Shorai lithium ion type yesterday. Francisco started right up, just like he's supposed to. Then took him out for a brisk 50 degree spin to make sure all worked OK (a bit of a poke at you cold-weather folks,,,).

These batteries are light, small, and expensive,,,,,

Biknflyfisher

Thanks Fred,We'll do. Where are the cracks usually seen? Near the frame connection bolts? I think I read on here somewhere that somebody redesigned a better subframe. I'll have to break out the search engine when I have more time...
This is typical of the cracking rear frame:

Forum member garauld makes a Gen I and later Gens frame stiffener kit, send him a PM.
Wow! I guess I should really stick to the 22lb limitation on my Givi E55 case.