What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pulled off the barn door sized V-stream shield that was on there. Put a stock size one that I got from Griff. Like the look of it. Makes it seem more "sporty" Took it for a little ride of about 38 miles to see how it performed. Definitely is different. Wind feels the same when in the fully extended range as before, but when lowered all the way, it feels like almost no screen at all from what I was used to. Lots of air on the chest. I think I will like it way more this summer in the heat. Thanks Griff.

That '15 looks badass Warp...you're going to cost me some $$$

--G
Get into it man !!! Thank you....

That's almost pathologically clean, warp.
Just sayin'...
I could probably clean some of the wires up in the tail section but I had enough for the day...

I'll likely revisit it sometime in the future, but for now - good enough. I put it off for far too long, had to get the show on the road, with warmer weather coming our way - Night time riding is starting up and couldn't wait another day to get those awesome LR4's going...

Can't wait to try out the whole package.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...got the bike uncovered, and finally started for the first time since October. Had a case of fast starter syndrome...first time it's sat that long (and hopefully the last). Once started, I let it sit and warm up for a while, then took it up and down the wet street a couple of times. I planned on riding to work today, only to wake up to more thunderstorms...DAMNIT!!! Since I got the OK from the doc, it hasn't stopped raining.

I feel your pain. I had surgery recently and went almost a whole month without riding (was supposed to wait six weeks). First time I'd gone over a week (unless I was on the road for work or had a bike down for repairs) in years.

Well...got the bike uncovered, and finally started for the first time since October. Had a case of fast starter syndrome...first time it's sat that long (and hopefully the last). Once started, I let it sit and warm up for a while, then took it up and down the wet street a couple of times. I planned on riding to work today, only to wake up to more thunderstorms...DAMNIT!!! Since I got the OK from the doc, it hasn't stopped raining.
That's great news, Joe! Not that it rained, but that you got the green light to ride again. This weekend should be nice so you can get back in the saddle and gently try out the new back.

HeliBar Bridge Bar Risers arrived today. Installed pretty easily, especially since I had already hacked the wire looms when I put the GenMar regular risers on last fall.

I learned that you cannot just install the Heli Bridge without also installing the (crappy looking, IMO) brake line extension. I tried, really I did. There would not be quite enough room even if you moved the anchor block at the front right of the frame. So I'll have to live with the ugly for a while, maybe come up with something a bit more sanitary looking at some point in the future. The crazy part is they only needed to lengthen that line by 1-2 inches, but the extension is about 6 inches of ugly with right angle fittings that do not need to be there.

The good news was that the rear set of these risers was really significant. More than I expected. So much so that I decided to try using them (at least to start) with the bars in the most forward possible position to widen the bars and decrease the angle the most possible, which was my real goal. Follow-up impressions when the weather improves and I actually get a chance to ride the bike. I've been sticking with the old reliable, semi-disposable (but don't let the bike hear me say that) ManStrom until the roads are certified salt free.

I did start the bike for the first time since last year, and let her run in the garage for a good ;long while. I wanted to get some oil distributed around inside the engine. I had noticed that the oil level was above the top of the sight glass. I guess when you give it a couple of months it eventually all drains back to the sump. Sat on it while it was running and twisted the throttle, making those sweet vrooom vrooom noises. Even that improved my mood. I am more than ready to get on with the 2015 riding season. Bring it on please!

edit - One thing I forgot to mention: You cannot use a WynPro RamBone GPS mount with the Heli Bridge. The rear of the bridge would foul against the 'Bone. But the Bridge comes drilled and tapped for a Ram Ball, and I had the foresight to order one with my new bridge. So, I'm back to having the GPS turning with the handlebars... Oh well.

Unplugged the Battery Tender, kit the starter and went for an 80 mile ride for a few errands, well OK, the errands didn't take 80 miles, but the FJR did! Nothing sweeter!

Unplugged the Battery Tender, kit the starter and went for an 80 mile ride for a few errands, well OK, the errands didn't take 80 miles, but the FJR did! Nothing sweeter!
I've tried to explain the concept of a "motorcycle shortcut" to my darling bride.

She can't understand how, if the distance from 'A' to 'B' is 25 miles, it's a 'shortcut' to go 100 miles.

Fortunately, she DOES understand how riding 5 hours/180 miles to Julian for pie is better than Costco.

Glad it worked out. Use full rearward crank, but it makes the bars a bit narrow. Love the seating position and not having to lean so far forward. I would have had to get rid of the bike had it not been for the risers.

HeliBar Bridge Bar Risers arrived today. Installed pretty easily, especially since I had already hacked the wire looms when I put the GenMar regular risers on last fall.
I learned that you cannot just install the Heli Bridge without also installing the (crappy looking, IMO) brake line extension. I tried, really I did. There would not be quite enough room even if you moved the anchor block at the front right of the frame. So I'll have to live with the ugly for a while, maybe come up with something a bit more sanitary looking at some point in the future. The crazy part is they only needed to lengthen that line by 1-2 inches, but the extension is about 6 inches of ugly with right angle fittings that do not need to be there.

The good news was that the rear set of these risers was really significant. More than I expected. So much so that I decided to try using them (at least to start) with the bars in the most forward possible position to widen the bars and decrease the angle the most possible, which was my real goal. Follow-up impressions when the weather improves and I actually get a chance to ride the bike. I've been sticking with the old reliable, semi-disposable (but don't let the bike hear me say that) ManStrom until the roads are certified salt free.

I did start the bike for the first time since last year, and let her run in the garage for a good ;long while. I wanted to get some oil distributed around inside the engine. I had noticed that the oil level was above the top of the sight glass. I guess when you give it a couple of months it eventually all drains back to the sump. Sat on it while it was running and twisted the throttle, making those sweet vrooom vrooom noises. Even that improved my mood. I am more than ready to get on with the 2015 riding season. Bring it on please!

edit - One thing I forgot to mention: You cannot use a WynPro RamBone GPS mount with the Heli Bridge. The rear of the bridge would foul against the 'Bone. But the Bridge comes drilled and tapped for a Ram Ball, and I had the foresight to order one with my new bridge. So, I'm back to having the GPS turning with the handlebars... Oh well.

Decided to sell it.
I was there last year. Bike handled so poorly I didn't even want to ride it anymore and was ready to move on.

Then I realized how much the value dropped. Most likely due to the influx of riders swapping their earlier model FJR's with the sweet Gen3's and particularly the ES models.

So decided to dump $$$ into my Gen1. Gradually getting the suspension sorted out, and I'm happy again.

To stay on topic, I rode mine to church this morning. The long way!