What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed my anodized parts yesterday. Today will be finishing the wiring on the rear break lights. Then its time to start packing for NERDS.

See you there,

Dave

Cleaned the bugs.. Checked tire pressures. All good.

Fired up Honda Silver Wing scooter and rode that for an hour. 50 HP and auto belt drive. So different but fun.

Well the wiring didn't go as smooth as I would have liked it too. It is now done though. I blew a fuse unbeknownst to me. Took a while to figure out what the hell happened. Replace the bad fuse and was back on track. Then one light wasn't working like the other one. The connection coming out of the light was funky. Took the stress off the cable and it worked. I used some silicon to keep it in place. So far everything seems to be working. It sucks doing stuff this close to departure but it is what it is.

The packing will start tomorrow now.

Dave

On the August 3rd I got some new shoes for Number 5.

I put PR3's on her and there is a BIG difference.

I had 8767 miles on the BT 023's. These were the 2nd worst tires I've had on an FJR. The first being the Road Attack's on my 05.

If someone spit on the road they would squirm.

I have put 500 miles on them so far and they are far better. I brought the bike home i the rain with new tires and they handled and turned in much better.

This was done for the big trip coming up in a week. We'll be out for 16 days and 5800 miles, ride report to follow.

In PA we're required to get inspections, and mine is due. Took the bike to Hillview Motor Sports and they failed the bike without charging me...not enough tire tread. So I have some replacements in the garage I'll put on, but I was thinking I had some more time on these. Not looking forward to removing the rear T30GT in 190/55 size.

There was a 2016 A in the showroom, but price was not right.

Wait for a left over. Much less $$$. I need to go for a ride today and fill the tank for Monday's trip to NERDS.

Yahooooooooo!!!!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Loaded my bike and Festar's bike on the Memphis Shades Truck for a free ride to Memphis. Will rejoin her in October before working Biketoberfest before riding to Jenison and SFO.

I should have changed my tires. I did this instead...

BeWCw7zl.jpg

Finally got tired of bleeding my back brake and still having mush.

Took it to the local shop where they drained flushed an refilled the system. Feels as solid now as the 2016 they have on the showroom floor.

For me it was $55 well spent.

The tech said the fact that the rear master is directly over the exhaust system causes the rear fluid to degrade over time.

Washed it after a long rain and bug filled ride through Michigan's U.P over the weekend.

Ordered the Helibar Bridge after 14 years of FJR riding. Had neck/shoulder pain for the first time (upgraded from just discomfort). Must be getting old.

The tech said the fact that the rear master is directly over the exhaust system causes the rear fluid to degrade over time.
BS, as far as I am concerned! Rear brake fluid always looks pretty good every time I exchange it (every two years). No sign that it has been "degraded" from exhaust heat. Just out of curiosity, were you bleeding the lower right front (linked) bleeder (with the rear brake pedal) when you were servicing/purging your brakes?

Whether or not his theory about degraded brake fluid made sense, he was at least able to get the issue sorted out for you. Note that the DOT 4 brake fluid is MUCH more heat resistant than the plastic fluid reservoir, rubber brake hoses and slave cylinder parts. Elevated ambient temperature from exhaust is slight compared to heat generated in the caliper under heavy braking.