What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bleeding the linked caliper is definitely the key. Unless you follow the proper sequence you definitely end up with mush. Don't ask me how I know.
fool.gif

Packed it up for a long weekend in the northern netherworld of West Virginnie with Ken the HD Guy and Rob the Whateverthehell Guy. None of the 3 of us has ever ridden in Ohio so we decided this is as good a weekend as any to do it, prolly Friday lunch.......

The recent activity on this thread kind of has the "dog days of summer" tone to it. Southerners like me are whining about the heat and humidity. Kids are back in school, or really close to the start. Everyone is basically waiting for EOM/SFO/Hooterville, etc. By in large, all bikes are running and ready, but there just isn't much excitement or adventure.

Just an observation....

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't actually do the work yet but, new oil filter, spark plugs, and fluids in hand and only a few hundred more miles before they get put to use. Will be ordering new tires withing the next week.

Rode it to work again, Day 151 consecutive riding trying again for my "perfect year". I was at 294 days when the snowstorm hit PA in early to mid March. Started over on March 20 the first day of Spring.

Packed it up for a long weekend in the northern netherworld of West Virginnie with Ken the HD Guy and Rob the Whateverthehell Guy. None of the 3 of us has ever ridden in Ohio so we decided this is as good a weekend as any to do it, prolly Friday lunch.......
Do you have a plan for Ohio? Lots of great roads around Marietta.

It's been a week since I've touched my FJR, but for good reason. Last Thursday, I was visiting a friend about 30 miles from home. I rode the FJR in to work, and headed to his place after, since I hadn't seen him in a while. At 9:30 my wife calls: "Hey...so whereally are you right now?" (Not angry, she knew where I was) "um...my water just broke!"

"I'll be right there!"

I've never been more grateful to own a rocket ship. I made it home in 20 min :D

I'm excited to raise my new little riding buddy!

Lunch plan is in Marietta, staying in Bridgeport, WV. Just random roads from BaseCamp from Point A to B, etc. First thing this morning- Ken says my left running light is acting wonky so off to AutoZone for a new bulb. Had to do this a few years back in PA for the right bulb.

Lunch plan is in Marietta, staying in Bridgeport, WV. Just random roads from BaseCamp from Point A to B, etc. First thing this morning- Ken says my left running light is acting wonky so off to AutoZone for a new bulb. Had to do this a few years back in PA for the right bulb.
I hope your not just gonna take 50 across from Bridgeport to Marietta...

Ordered 2 new sets of tires from Jake Wilson last night. PR2's again for my FJR and wife's F800ST. Want new sneakers on before EOM.

Rode to work, day 152 in the books.

I did know about bleeding the front linked unit first.

I guess I just didn't have the patience to bleed it long enough to get all the old fluid out. Just stopped when there was no evidence of air.

I'm sure if you do a complete bleed every 2 years and replace all the fluid you probably won't have any issues.

With my present competence level, allowing the shop tech to do it with their vacuum bleeder worked great for me. All fresh fluid and solid rear brake.

I am happy with the result.

The tech said the fact that the rear master is directly over the exhaust system causes the rear fluid to degrade over time.
BS, as far as I am concerned! Rear brake fluid always looks pretty good every time I exchange it (every two years). No sign that it has been "degraded" from exhaust heat. Just out of curiosity, were you bleeding the lower right front (linked) bleeder (with the rear brake pedal) when you were servicing/purging your brakes?

Whether or not his theory about degraded brake fluid made sense, he was at least able to get the issue sorted out for you. Note that the DOT 4 brake fluid is MUCH more heat resistant than the plastic fluid reservoir, rubber brake hoses and slave cylinder parts. Elevated ambient temperature from exhaust is slight compared to heat generated in the caliper under heavy braking.

Bleeding the linked caliper is definitely the key. Unless you follow the proper sequence you definitely end up with mush. Don't ask me how I know.
fool.gif

Meant to include these quotes in the post above.

Apparently my quoting skills are comparable to my bleeding skills.

The recent activity on this thread kind of has the "dog days of summer" tone to it. Southerners like me are whining about the heat and humidity. Kids are back in school, or really close to the start. Everyone is basically waiting for EOM/SFO/Hooterville, etc. By in large, all bikes are running and ready, but there just isn't much excitement or adventure.
Just an observation....
I need the time between now and SFO to practice up. Then mebbe I can keep you on the same side of the horizon...