What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catching up, I rode to work on Friday again, in spite of the weather forecast. Snow is called for starting late afternoon/early evening but the ride in is uneventful and I should be home before it gets ugly tight? Wrong! Snow begins falling at 12:30 and I don't get off until 3:00.By the time I leave for home we're under a winter weather advisory and some schools have been left out early. The ride home isn't too awful, I just leave extra space and drop my speeds and make it home about 10 minutes off my normal time. The worst part is my snow covered slightly uphill driveway. Slip the clutch a little and keeping both feet down I manage to get into the garage.Getting off the parked bike I hear the hissing.

20171215_155728-L.jpg

Will this be the end of my second attempt at a perfect year? 271 days gone to shit, ruined by a sheet metal screw? I get the chance to try out my new Dyna Plug tire plug kit and figure if it's holding in the morning I'll try a test ride.

Saturday, day 272 I take a rather tentative 11 mile jaunt staying pretty close to home just in case.This is the first time I've ever plugged a tire myself and it took 2 plugs to get it to stop leaking. I put one in and re-inflated the tire but when I sprayed a soapy water mix on it I could see the bubbling. Pulling our that first plug I tried another and then added an additional plug right alongside to completely fill the void created by the screw. Two plugs seems to be holding air but I'll keep an eye on it.

Sunday, day 273, tire is still holding steady at 43 psi so I take a longer 15-20 mile ride including some slab. Everything seems okay with no noticeable change to the plugged tire so I guess I'll be okay. Oh, washed the bike this afternoon even though I damn near my froze my hands doing it. Wanted all that snowy salty crap off of it before it causes any real damage.

Appreciate the caution! Most riding now is just commute to work but figure on ordering new ones after holidays.

Yep. That tire is done. Glad youre okay. Im still mad I didnt buy snow claws from aerostich when they were dirt cheap.

Ive got 2 pounds of grime and grit from the trip this weekend. Its so dirty I have a hard time reading the speedometer. So- today Ive got to clean it, simply because tomorrow is Krista/Erica install day, and I dont want that much grit and crust all over everything when its being worked on. Reeediculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rode it to work, again. Day 275 is now in the books. Plugged tire is holding air fine but I am planning on ordering some new tires after New Year's once the whole holiday season drama dies down.

Got it running again with the AVCC working! Installed a relay to eliminate the stray voltage on the purple line and we're back in business. Many thanks to Brodie, Bergmen, and Dmitry (an EE at work who walked me through the relay fundamentals).

Unfortunately it means that the '08 stays in the fleet instead of trading it for a '16 or newer ES, but now I've got some $$ I can put into a new track bike!

Don't worry about the plug. You can run that tire until the tread shows. I had no problem running with a plugged tire it's entire life span. Oh and by the way I learned a neat trick from a fellow employee today that I haven't tried yet. If you have one of those pump sprayers that holds 3 or 4 gallons. Just fill it with hot water from the sink and spray the bike down with that. Sounded like a good idea to me and worth a try.

Dave

The leather cover on my old Bill Mayer saddle had split its seams, so I found a local upholstery shop to re-cover it in black leather. I picked it up yesterday, and it looks really good -- and at a very reasonable price.

I've also been getting the bike ready for the BMR, which begins on New Year's Day. I probably won't do anything major until the following weekend, when I have an 800-mile out and back planned to get a couple of big bonuses available only that weekend.

I managed to take the grey mare out yesterday and fill the tank to the top. Now to put some Stabile in and put her to rest.

Dave

I've owned this one for a few weeks and the riding so far involved getting it on the trailer.
upset.gif
Will probably be a few more months before it sees any pavement. Gives me time to look for cheap farkles. so far I've scored some knock off FZ1 mirrors and some tip over guards.

I hit the starter button only to be rewarded with a dead battery. Ugh!!!!

Yuasa or auto parts store battery?

Any issue with the Yuasas from Amazon (where you add the acid yourself)?

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
My local Honda dealer had our size on the shelf for $68 when I needed one earlier this yr.

I got my replacement

Thoughts?
My local Honda dealer had our size on the shelf for $68 when I needed one earlier this yr.
If you're not in a rush, get the YUASA, add the acid, put it on a low-amp absorption charge, and you will have the best battery possible.

Dragged the bike out and went for a ride yesterday, it was unusually warm even for us here in central NC. Damaged discs in the lower back and a hip with no cartilage left is reminding me today how enjoyable it was while it lasted.

Side note- the Honda dealer's battery I mentioned a couple of posts up has been sitting since for about 4 weeks, no tender/charger attached. Fired right up!