What do ya do about cold toes?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep my feet as high and back as possible on the pegs and use some fleece socks over my regulars, with waterproof boots, but I'm fixin' to try me a pair of these....

Gerbing's socks and gloves set on high, Gerbing's jacket and pants liners set on medium, nice and toasty even at 7 degrees! And all I wear are uninsulated riding boots for footwear and a full riding suit. No footguards either but I do have the handguards. I hear that Gerbing's switched to heated insoles in place of the socks. I hope they work just as well. Good luck, jevers

So what do you all do to stave off the froze toes? Inquiring minds want to know.
Well, if ya must know :blush2: . . . . . . . . . .

I have a big Jackass that keeps them from freezing. :brunette:

Sorry guys, don't get any ideas, I don't like sharin' my Jackass. (He doesn't play well with others.) :black eye:

Oh damn, did I say that? I must be drunk again. :headbonk:

Here's what worked for me. I bought a pair of 'waterproof', cold weather lined boots, 1 size too big. That way, I have the room to throw on two pairs of heavy winter socks, with the Toe Warmer gel-thingy packs. Yeah, the boots end up being more or less useless in the warm weather, as they are too big without the heavy socks...but I wouldn't be wearing them because they are winter-lined and would be too hot anyway. I'd love heated socks, but I'm too cheap - this works good enough for me.

I keep my feet as high and back as possible on the pegs and use some fleece socks over my regulars, with waterproof boots, but I'm fixin' to try me a pair of these....
I bought some of those and like them alot. I got extra large so I can wear a pair of Merino Wool Sox under them and I'm a 9.75 size foot in a 10 size boot. I only have one pair of boots which are summer vented (I ride in the deep south with burnin' temps in summer) SIDI Air Champions. The Seal Skinz are a great waterproofer in the rain under all temps. In winter and no rain forecast, I wear a pair of wool sox under the bottom of my wooly long bottoms, and another pair of wool sox above the woolys.

I used to wear plastic bags just under my boots for waterproofing, but talk about sweaty feet in no time.

I have a box of the chemical warmers, and when you buy the big box, they're only abt $.50 a pair. Work in the gloves, and would work in boots tho I haven't needed them. I'll be taking them on my big northerly ride this summer, who knows what surprises those northern latitudes and high altitudes will have. (And if it's miserable enough, I imagine a couple could be nice inside the sleeping bag, too.)

I also just bought a pair of snowmobile mitts (waterproof naturally), since the worst thing for me about having cold hands on a m/c is having my fingers isolated so they can't share the warmth. As a kid in upstate NY (and prolific snowball maker), I always knew nothing worked like mittens, so you could make a fist when your hands got cold and warm everything up in there. Haven't had any cold rides since I bought the mitts, but they feel fine riding and there's plenty of room to drop a hand warmer inside each one too. Only trouble is, nobody knows when they're being flipped off. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived in CO for ten years and worked at a ski area. All my extremeties have been frostbitten. I took me a while, but here is what I learned about cold feet. The biggest mistake people make with boots is they buy them too small. Cold weather boots need to be larger than normal. You need your toes to be able to move around, and you need an air space around the entire foot, after you add the extra layers of socks and liners and hand warmers etc. People cram their boots full of extra stuff to keep them warm and their feet are in the boot so tight it literally cuts the circulation off, like one other poster mentioned. You are much better off with a size or two larger than normal and one extra pair of heavy wool socks. The other thing I might mention is, once you get all this cold weather gear on, be ready to go outside immediately. You will start sweating pretty quickly indoors, walking around the house, drinking that last cup of coffee. Once your feet are wet, well that just complicates keeping them warm.

Here's the old Alaskan favorite: https://www.bunnyboots.com/
If these won't keep you warm, well, it's time to check out and go South.

Those certainly look warm, but I'm not sure you'd ever get them under a shifter, and I don't ride an AE. :lol:

I might have to get a better look at those. Not sure if they'd present the same shifter issues or not.

Got 'em. I give them a much higher score for looks than functionality. Not worth the exhorbitant price IMHO.

I also tried the disposable hand warmers in the boots at the same football game that I started this thread about. Something went awry with one of them (I actually thought it had broken inside the boot). One got so hot it was actually burning my foot, to the point where I couldn't even walk with it and had to stop and remove it. Looked fine, but it was blazing hot! Other one was ok. That woulda been a bitch out on the road.

Having read everybody's suggestions here, I'm going to have to say that my first problem is they're my regular summer riding boots (not vented, but not insulated). Second problem is that they fit well with one pair of regular cotton tube socks on, but start getting snug as I add thickness within. Sounds like a slightly larger pair of insulated boots would be a big improvement. Combined with all my other techno-wizardry (including the wool socks I got over the holidays), I think I'd be much better off in the foot department.

This has been a very informative and enlightening thread. Thanks to all who've replied.

I might have to get a better look at those. Not sure if they'd present the same shifter issues or not.

I own and really like the Arctic Mucks, and that's after having worn many types of winter boots up here over the years. The muck boots are best warm 100% waterproof boot I've owned so far. Many farmers and hunters wear them. Good to cold temps (-20-30F if your walking), light and comfortable to wear. The company also makes thinner footwear for warmer temps. The material is spongy closed cell foam with a fleece liner and rubber over-molded lowers. Good things to own, and might be flexible enough to fit under the shifter in their lighter weight models. The Arctic Mucks are kinda' stiff in the toe.

The bunny boots I linked to first were designed for the military, are heavy and stiff, and are only good for standing around in extreme cold waiting for action. Went to a friend's wedding reception once wearing them, and danced a jig around the punch bowl for the fun of it. Goofy.

Electric socks would be the simplest. Lots of links in Google. Be good to find a 12v pair to run off the bike, or maybe tap into the grip warmers to get a lower voltage somehow.

EDIT: OOOPs read Gerbing's webpage and the posts above and answered my question. Another good idea that's already been done. I'll never get rich quick that's for sure.

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the old Alaskan favorite: https://www.bunnyboots.com/
If these won't keep you warm, well, it's time to check out and go South.

Those certainly look warm, but I'm not sure you'd ever get them under a shifter, and I don't ride an AE. :lol:

Got 'em. I give them a much higher score for looks than functionality. Not worth the exhorbitant price IMHO.

I also tried the disposable hand warmers in the boots at the same football game that I started this thread about. Something went awry with one of them (I actually thought it had broken inside the boot). One got so hot it was actually burning my foot, to the point where I couldn't even walk with it and had to stop and remove it. Looked fine, but it was blazing hot! Other one was ok. That woulda been a bitch out on the road.

Having read everybody's suggestions here, I'm going to have to say that my first problem is they're my regular summer riding boots (not vented, but not insulated). Second problem is that they fit well with one pair of regular cotton tube socks on, but start getting snug as I add thickness within. Sounds like a slightly larger pair of insulated boots would be a big improvement. Combined with all my other techno-wizardry (including the wool socks I got over the holidays), I think I'd be much better off in the foot department.

This has been a very informative and enlightening thread. Thanks to all who've replied.

If you go with a thin silk or polypro sock liner and the wool socks you already have and put them in a boot big enough to allow you to wiggle your toes I think you will be surprised with how long your feet will stay warm.

Grew up in michigan and after always having cold feet finally figured out more is not better when layering up the feet

If you go with a thin silk or polypro sock liner and the wool socks you already have and put them in a boot big enough to allow you to wiggle your toes I think you will be surprised with how long your feet will stay warm.Grew up in michigan and after always having cold feet finally figured out more is not better when layering up the feet

Oh, how I love a cheap solution. ;)

Latest posts