What do you do when you see cagers on cell phones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALDAWG

Reaction score
It seems like cagers are glued to cell phones. I cant tell you how many times I've followed someone for miles and miles while their on the phone. :angry2: I feel like making a sign for my bags that say 'GET OFF THE PHONE BEFORE YOU KILL ME' I wish something could be done, cuz I dont think these people will stop untill they hurt someone.

And dont think I'm calling the kettle black here, I too am guilty of driving on the phone. But I make sure to tell the caller that I'm driving right now and they have 10 seconds to talk, and that I will call them back. Everybody understands that and respects it.

I have seen zappers on the internet, that will interrupt signals in your immediate area. But not sure how legal they are or how well they work, if at all. If something like this exists/works than its a much better farkle than any GPS or radar detector IMO.

I am just curious what you all think about this, or what you do in a situation like this..

Cell phone interupters are pretty common in some countries, especially in theaters and restaurants. Massively illegal in the US, though.

Like Patriot said there are so many I usually am just out of there.

I have a HANG UP AND DRIVE sticker on each side of my helmet. They are there for the flaming idiots who drift into my lane. I hit the pair of Freeway Blasters, watch them jump & wake up, then use a middle finger to point to the sticker on their side of my helmet. Most people seem like I am offending THEM. This is after they've already come into my space.

I'll occasionally just put my thumb and pinkie finger up to my ear in the mock "I'm on a telephone" pantomime and then hang it up while shaking my head.

If you are truly afraid of the cell phoner being preoccupied, don't you think that jamming his call and making him mess with redialing will make him even more preoccupied?

I call Crawford from the CHP.

He' fixes them right up with a free night in the special hotel...

I've mentioned this before, but while sitting at a busy intersection, at the front of the line, I count how many people are on the phone going passed me. If its BELOW 25% I'm genuinely shocked. Usually closer to 50%!

Even worse, theirs an intersection in Sudbury called 'Killer Crossing' Which is basically an intersection 7 streets AND a busy rail crossing.

Drivers avoid it like the plague, ambulances and police routinely sit there because they know their'll be at least 1 accident per day there. Usually several more!

So one day I'm sitting in my truck and do the count again at that intersection. Sure enough about 30% of the drivers have the phone glued to their ear. Unf'nbelievable.

Anyway, to answer your question, it's all but impossible to 'getaway' from them in traffic. Pays your money, takes your chances.

Cell phone interupters are pretty common in some countries, especially in theaters and restaurants. Massively illegal in the US, though.
Like Patriot said there are so many I usually am just out of there.

I have a HANG UP AND DRIVE sticker on each side of my helmet. They are there for the flaming idiots who drift into my lane. I hit the pair of Freeway Blasters, watch them jump & wake up, then use a middle finger to point to the sticker on their side of my helmet. Most people seem like I am offending THEM. This is after they've already come into my space.

I'll occasionally just put my thumb and pinkie finger up to my ear in the mock "I'm on a telephone" pantomime and then hang it up while shaking my head.
I like this idea. I've had people wander into my lane without even knowing I'm there, But I usually kick their door. And this has happened on more than one occasion..

I've noticed a disturbing trend the last few months with drivers on cell phones on Interstate 10 from New Orleans La to San Antonio TX...I come up on little "traffic jams" with both lanes being used by 6 or more cars, all packed up. When I finally make my way thru them to clear road, it seems the root cause of the jam is someone in the left (passing) lane with a phone stuck to their ear, totally oblivious to the fact that they were subconsiously pacing the car on their right, so no one could get around the first 2 cars.

It amazes me that someone could be operating a vehicle with their head stuck so far up their ass that the outside world is just a blur as they jabber on about their pathetic lives. If it was up to me, I'd make some new rules for getting a drivers license. First and foremost would be to make them ride a motorcycle for at least 6 months, and if they lived , then they would move on to the next stage, which would be requiring them to pilot an aircraft for a few months (teach them concentration and discipline)... THEN if they had not succumbed to head-up-the-ass-and-now-you're-dead syndrome, they would be allowed to test for a car license.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :glare:

Here in Kolly4nia, handheld phone use and texting is illegal, but widely disregarded by the very idiots the law was intended for.

I'm usually too busy NOT looking at the drivers, as much as the cars they're in. I stay as far away from them as possible, looking for gaps in traffic where it's safe to hide. Phones or no, they're deadly dangerous at all times, ride accordingly....

Here in Kolly4nia, handheld phone use and texting is illegal, but widely disregarded by the very idiots the law was intended for.
I'm usually too busy NOT looking at the drivers, as much as the cars they're in. I stay as far away from them as possible, looking for gaps in traffic where it's safe to hide. Phones or no, they're deadly dangerous at all times, ride accordingly....
Don't know about Cali, but some of the places have put some teeth into the ban on using a cell phone while driving. The most common method is a steep fine for being involved in an accident while on the phone...as high as $10,000 (they subpoena phone records if in doubt). Others make it criminally prosecutable as criminal negligence. There's also some that allow cell phone checkpoints to set up the same way as sobriety checkpoints.

I've had to put crash avoidance skills into practice a few times...nearly every time, the driver was on the phone. I recently pulled up next to a guy at a stoplight who was talking on one phone while texting on another and holding the steering wheel with his knees.

Don't know about Cali, but some of the places have put some teeth into the ban on using a cell phone while driving. The most common method is a steep fine for being involved in an accident while on the phone...as high as $10,000 (they subpoena phone records if in doubt). Others make it criminally prosecutable as criminal negligence. There's also some that allow cell phone checkpoints to set up the same way as sobriety checkpoints.

I've had to put crash avoidance skills into practice a few times...nearly every time, the driver was on the phone. I recently pulled up next to a guy at a stoplight who was talking on one phone while texting on another and holding the steering wheel with his knees.
This is exactly what I'm talking/worried about. And its not like it happens once in a while, It's all the time now! It's become an epidemic..

I figure if I get whacked by some moron who is yacking on their phone it's my fault; as a motorcyclist ultimately it's my responsibility to be aware of the dangers out there and to be responsible for my own safety.

P.S. Cell phone use in an automobile is illegal in NY. I gave up on enforcement when I saw a LEO riding in his squad car talking on a cell phone. :angry: :( Even with officers enforcing the law people are still going to do it, cell phone usage is just to pervasive, which takes us back to the start of this post.

3442166580_4917304a5d.jpg

I figure if I get whacked by some moron who is yacking on their phone it's my fault; as a motorcyclist ultimately it's my responsibility to be aware of the dangers out there and to be responsible for my own safety.
Yup... ride as if you're invisible and everyone's out to kill ya! :)

I am just curious what you all think about this, or what you do in a situation like this..
I give them a berth that's width is dependent on the amount of gestures they make while talking.

A phone to an ear, both hands on the wheel, and the car is maintaining decent position in their lane....I don't worry so much, but still don't get in front of them.

Arms flailing like they're debating Tom Lykess live on the other end and the car is twitching between lanes like the lines are slalom cones....WIDE berth and a head shake of disapproval as I pass them quickly.

You may be asking the wrong group here, at least half of these ball sacks want to know how to hook up thier cell phone to some kind of communication system they have so they can do the same thing your complaining about. Why anyone would want to talk on thier cell while riding is way beyond me, I just don't get it! <_<

You may be asking the wrong group here, at least half of these ball sacks want to know how to hook up thier cell phone to some kind of communication system they have so they can do the same thing your complaining about. Why anyone would want to talk on thier cell while riding is way beyond me, I just don't get it! <_<
That's what voice mail is for

I'm one of those ballsacks, well, actually, I'm more of an apple-bag...

Regardless. I need to be available.. mom has cancer and emphysema. It's happened a few times in the last couple of years where she SHOULD be calling an ambulance, instead, she calls me. Each time its happened, I'm the one calling an ambulance.

Otherwise, my cell phone rings maybe once or twice a month.