What do you pack for an over-nighter?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren_TK

Reaction score
It's time for the third in the trilogy of Lauren_TK packing threads.

We've discussed tools and safety stuff. Now is the Winter of our discontent made glorious Summer by this "What do you pack for an over-nigher?" list.*

Here are rules for this list discussion:

1. I'm not interested in farkles (GPS, radar detector, CB and so on). Well, I am interested in farkles, but there are plenty of other discussions on the merits of said items.
  2. Except for the universal items (**), if an item you suggest appears on the any of the other lists, we get to mock you.

The master list is a google doc (feel free to share it).

I've raided a few other threads for the starting point of this thread. I'm going to mark some items as "Hotel" or "Camping" based on my perception of the item.

Tier 1--Must Have

• Cellphone**
  • Cellphone charger**
  • Credit card**
  • Some cash hidden on the bike**
  • Good multi-tool**
  • Tire pressure gage**
  • Spare keys (Do not store spare keys in the glove box, panniers, or top box.)
  • Adequate and appropriate clothing for the trip
  • Sleeping shelter (tent, hotel reservations, etc.)
  • Sleeping area (sleeping bag, hotel bed, etc.)

Tier 2--Really Should Have

• Extra gloves

Tier 3--Good Idea to Have

• Power strip (Hotel)
  • Extra zip-top bags
  • Trash bags (bin liners for our UK and OZ folks)
  • Towels
Tier 4--Probably Won't Ever Need, But You'll Be Glad You Have

(Currently empty)

Tier 5--Nice to Have

• End of ride libation
  • Cork-screw/bottle opener

A note on spare keys, since I ride with my wife, I have her spare key, and she has mine.

* I apologize for the gratuitous Richard III reference.

An OVERNIGHTER? Lesseeee....A clean pair of underwear, a shirt, pair of socks, my toothbrush and some shower shit.

I've been gone overnight with nothing but the clothes on my back. Those are easy and leave room in the side bags for beer and condoms!!

An OVERNIGHTER? Lesseeee....A clean pair of underwear, a shirt, pair of socks, my toothbrush and some shower shit.
I've been gone overnight with nothing but the clothes on my back. Those are easy and leave room in the side bags for beer and condoms!
Travel Humidor with cigars, cutter & lighter...
Zilla: Clean underwear is covered under "Adequate and apropriate clothing . . ." and "beer" is covered under "End of ride libation." However, I should add "toiletry kit" and "safe sex supplies."

Joe: See that's why I open up these kind of conversations. I would have never considered those items.

I've been gone overnight with nothing but the clothes on my back. Those are easy and leave room in the side bags for beer and condoms!!
Damn, my allowable "likes" have been exceeded.
smile.png

Double Gunny, JSNS.

Tier 4 item: Walther .380 or Para Ordinance .45 depending on where I'm going.

Bike cover, 1/2 cover not the full one.
BkerChuck: Since firearms require additional special licensing, I don't feel comfortable recomending on a general list.

Ahchiu: I've never carried a cover. It's probaly not a bad idea though. What tier would you put it at?

Tier 4 item: Walther .380 or Para Ordinance .45 depending on where I'm going.

Bike cover, 1/2 cover not the full one.
BkerChuck: Since firearms require additional special licensing, I don't feel comfortable recomending on a general list.

Ahchiu: I've never carried a cover. It's probaly not a bad idea though. What tier would you put it at?
For me I have it under tier 1, it keeps wandering eyes off the bike and out of the rain or sun. For multi day trips I would have a small lap top computer for any route changes I need to make for the GPS. (tier 1)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to pack a pair of water shoes. They're cheap, don't take up much room in your bags, and double both as casual footwear (if you don't want to wear your riding boots around town or the campground) and to protect your feet from dirty carpets and/or iffy showers.

Along the same lines, a sleeping bag liner helps to keep your actual sleeping bag clean, and is also handy if the bedding on your motel bed isn't quite up to snuff.

I keep a spare key on the same chain as my dog tags, which has my emergency contact info.

If I had to think that much about going somewhere, I doubt I would ever go anywhere.
smile.png
If I had a list, for sure the ink would be smeared from the beer the first night.

Ooops. Since this is just an overnighter, I guess that's okay.
biggrin.png

All this talk about primary, secondary, and tertiary lists is getting my head spinning.

Barkeep, send another one down...

I always cover my bike at night. Most likely the won't steal what they can't see and people don't mess with a covered bike. GPS, Spot tracker and any other farkles that could walk away easily are out of sight.

Saves time for libations etc.......

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had to think that much about going somewhere, I doubt I would ever go anywhere. :)
No shit. Holy Hell, it's a fun MC trip, and most times a WalMart or someplace is within reach. Stress less, ride more. You can't plan for everything. Unless its necessary medication, there are very few things people can't be without for a day or more. All this "security blanket" baloney is maddening.

No shit. Holy Hell, it's a fun MC trip, and most times a WalMart or someplace is within reach. Stress less, ride more. You can't plan for everything. Unless its necessary medication, there are very few things people can't be without for a day or more. All this "security blanket" baloney is madden
Different strokes for different folks.

I do agree that there are very few things the one needs every day, and there are many things we can do without.

I certainly do not make a packing list for every trip. My wife does and the fact I don't drives her a little nuts.

However, I would like to learn from the collected wisdom of those who have spent more time on the road than I. We are switching from taking the cage on road trips to taking our bikes, and you have to think about things differently.