What do you pack for an over-nighter?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...We are switching from taking the cage on road trips to taking our bikes, and you have to think about things differently.
The real trick is to pack for a week when riding two up. So far, our biggest challenge was to pack 2 up for a wedding (niece) AND a week and a half. The way my pillion packs is to bring everything she want to take to the bike and then start removing things until the lids close. It becomes a self prioritizing selection process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff, except your towel belongs in tier #1

A towel is about the most massively useful thing to have...

coolsmiley02.gif

I dunno Lauren... with all the lists you generate I think you should probably make a list of the lists, just to be sure you don't forget one! ;)

I dunno Lauren... with all the lists you generate I think you should probably make a list of the lists, just to be sure you don't forget one!
wink.png
Why do you think I keep it online? I can access my lists anywhere
rolleyes.gif

This is also the final "list" thread.

Looking at some of the replies, many people interprit "over-nighter" as a single night. I think I would too. I really should have said "multi-day."

Lauren, my handgun reference was largely meant in jest. I do have a CCW permit in my home state and sometimes but not always exercise that right. Admittedly it's not for everyone and I'm thankful that's the case. That being said, if I know I have to travel within certain less than savory parts of PA, I have been known to have a sidearm in my tank bag. It is one of those items that I hope I never actually need.

Lauren, my handgun reference was largely meant in jest. I do have a CCW permit in my home state and sometimes but not always exercise that right. Admittedly it's not for everyone and I'm thankful that's the case. That being said, if I know I have to travel within certain less than savory parts of PA, I have been known to have a sidearm in my tank bag. It is one of those items that I hope I never actually need.
I own a small arsenal myself, so I do understand why people carry.

As I said though, carrying a firearm is not something I would only recommend to someone I know well.

Either tier 3 or 4, I always carry a roll of TP. You never know when or where!

Oh, and my wife is a list maker. She has a list of things to do each day, and if she does something not on the list she adds it just so she can check it off!

Either tier 3 or 4, I always carry a roll of TP. You never know when or where!
Oh, and my wife is a list maker. She has a list of things to do each day, and if she does something not on the list she adds it just so she can check it off!
My plastic (windshield/headlight) cleaner of choice- Plexus. Evening summer bugs can be very thick. I carry very soft disposable dry wipes to multi-function as TP, cleaner, snot rags, etc. Also helps with thick southeast morning dew if I don't bring my half-cover.

Many years ago while on a cross country bicycle trip, I met a fellow headed the other way doing the same thing. He had an awesome system. No luggage, No gear.Just a toothbrush and a credit card. He made great time ;)

For an overnight trip that I don't carry otherwise? AC=always carry, so "for an over nighter" doesn't mean I need to add it.

Tier 1--Must Have

• Cellphone** - AC
  • Cellphone charger** - AC
  • Credit card** - AC
  • Some cash hidden on the bike** - AC (hidden on me)
  • Good multi-tool** - AC
  • Tire pressure gage** - AC
  • Spare keys (Do not store spare keys in the glove box, panniers, or top box.) - AC
  • Adequate and appropriate clothing for the trip - AC
  • Sleeping shelter (tent, hotel reservations, etc.) - nope, that's what hotels and picnic tables are for
  • Sleeping area (sleeping bag, hotel bed, etc.) - nope. i don't "pack" a hotel room

Tier 2--Really Should Have

• Extra gloves - AC

Tier 3--Good Idea to Have

• Power strip (Hotel) - nope
  • Extra zip-top bags - AC
  • Trash bags (bin liners for our UK and OZ folks) - nope
  • Towels - nope
Tier 4--Probably Won't Ever Need, But You'll Be Glad You Have

(Currently empty)

Tier 5--Nice to Have

• End of ride libation - nope. acquire locally
  • Cork-screw/bottle opener - nope, see above
The absolute NEED to have for an over night trip that isn't already on the bike all the time? A change of clothes and a tooth brush. Even then those can be acquired locally. Longer trips? Pack for 3 days and do laundry every 3rd day. Outside of the riding gear you'll always have on when riding, a pair of pants, 3 t-shirts, 3 under wears, 3 socks, 1 pair of sneakers/deck shoes/flip-flops. Do laundry or toss the dirty and buy new locally. Tooth brush and tooth paste is about the only thing really needed and that can also be acquired locally.

The need for 3 weeks of full changes of clothes, hair dryers, 6 pairs of shoes, etc. (i have seen people pack like that), is crazy. If you need more than a tooth brush and paste, then take a car. 2 people can ride indefinitely using just a single saddle bag each... with room to spare.

I'm enjoying reading Lauren's threads. Great advice all around. As I do this more often, I find that I'm brining less, and not missing it. On my first long tour, I over packed to the point where I nearly had to ship some stuff home. Now, packing is a breeze. A big revelation is to bring way less clothes, no more than 3-4 days worth. Washiteria's are everywhere now.

Especially when camping - within reason - there's a little adventure to the idea that you forgot to bring something and now you have to improvise. It's hard to explain, but I think that part is kind of exciting. GPS is a huge help - there's hardly a place now that isn't within 10-15 miles from a grocery store or general store.

There's also space saving to be had if packaging is discarded.

Again - great thread.

I've been on a lot of multi day trips. After reading all this, I don't know how I ever got from point A to point B without most of the things that some feel is necessary for a fun trip...
rolleyes.gif

I'm not sure if this is helpful or exactly on topic, but definitely related. My dad traveled a lot. He taught me that you take the mismatched socks, underwear with holes bad shirts, pants that are either too worn, or short. You pack that for your clothes, then as you go through your travel, you throw out the bad clothes at the end of the day. That way your luggage gets lighter as your trip continues. The goal was to either come back with less than you left with, or make room for any items you may pick up along the way without needing more luggage. seems odd, but works great. Under all my riding gear, no-one sees my ratty clothes anyway.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or exactly on topic, but definitely related. My dad traveled a lot. He taught me that you take the mismatched socks, underwear with holes bad shirts, pants that are either too worn, or short. You pack that for your clothes, then as you go through your travel, you throw out the bad clothes at the end of the day. That way your luggage gets lighter as your trip continues. The goal was to either come back with less than you left with, or make room for any items you may pick up along the way without needing more luggage. seems odd, but works great. Under all my riding gear, no-one sees my ratty clothes anyway.
Great plan!

But wait... Didn't your Mom always advise you (like mine did) to always wear nice underwear in case you have a mishap and have to go to the emergency room? What will all those doctors and nurses think about you with your holey undies and mismatched socks?

These save room too...I've used them a lot. Wash clothes in the bathtub when you get to a hotel, let them hang dry. Then you can wear fresh repeats.

pTRU1-13174578dt.jpg