what kind of aftermarket cam chain tensioners are there

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertankerm60a3

Reaction score
I just bought a 2003 FJR with 56,000 miles. I have a rattling sound that is on (75%) and off (25%) at idle. I would let it slide but I have read that these things can cause a disaster inside the engine if the chain lets go. So... I need to replace the cam chain tensioner. I would like to go aftermarket. I see the manual screw in type available at "APE". Are there any good, longer movement, spring loaded tensioners out there? If so, where?

I just bought a 2003 FJR with 56,000 miles. I have a rattling sound that is on (75%) and off (25%) at idle. I would let it slide but I have read that these things can cause a disaster inside the engine if the chain lets go. So... I need to replace the cam chain tensioner. I would like to go aftermarket. I see the manual screw in type available at "APE". Are there any good, longer movement, spring loaded tensioners out there? If so, where?

No. It's the APE or factory. The new factory one is a updated part. I was cheap and made my own manual one.

"longer movement, spring loaded tensioners "

The new OEM part fits that description, at least compared to the older OEM CCT, the APE manual CCT is about $30 bucks cheaper though.

Latest posts