Which custom seat???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsozz

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I did my first road trip today and quickly decided that a new seat will be my next addition to my 08' FJR. I am 6'-1" and 235 lb's. [/SIZE]

The stock seat transfers all the thumps and bumbs right up into my tail bone :eek: The stock seat seems to be convex so that most of the support is on my tail bone....ouch

I have ordered a Corbin seat but I have second thoughts about how it will transfer the bumps.... I have looked at the Russell seats and they seen to look like they would suit a larger person.

I would like to have my weight evenly distributed over a wider area that the stock seat can provide and without the convex nature of the stock seat.

Please ring in with suggestions!

Thanks,

New FJR Owner,

Greg

[SIZE=12pt]I did my first road trip today and quickly decided that a new seat will be my next addition to my 08' FJR. I am 6'-1" and 235 lb's. [/SIZE]The stock seat transfers all the thumps and bumbs right up into my tail bone :eek: The stock seat seems to be convex so that most of the support is on my tail bone....ouch

I have ordered a Corbin seat but I have second thoughts about how it will transfer the bumps.... I have looked at the Russell seats and they seen to look like they would suit a larger person.

I would like to have my weight evenly distributed over a wider area that the stock seat can provide and without the convex nature of the stock seat.

Please ring in with suggestions!

Thanks,

New FJR Owner,

Greg
I am similar dimensions to you. The Russell is by far the best seat I have ever had on a bike and I have tried a few. Here is a pic from my ride in appointment last June.

RussellTrip048.jpg

I had a Corbin on my '05, loved it but it took 1000 mi. for it to break-in.

I have a Sargent on my '06 now and it's great. I went with the Sargent this time because I bought it from someone on the forum and got a great deal.

I think pretty much any custom seat will be a big improvement over stock. I would say not to bother with a heated seat though. IMHO you're better off spending the money on heated clothes that move from bike to bike.

You're going to get a lot of opinions I guess it depends on which ass you ask.

Russell. Russell. Russell. Russell. Russell. Russell. Russell. Russell. Russell. Russell.

If you can wait until December, there will be a group buy and you can save some dough! It may not be on our forum but I'm sure it will be posted as to where it is and we are usually welcomed to join whoever is hosting it.

Greg

I bought my Corbin used from one of the other forum members who wanted a Russell. The seat seems a little firm at first, but in the 150 miles I rode this morning I actually forgot that I have a different seat. I’m also a little over 6’ – 240 and the seat seems to distribute the weight nicely. It is more cup shaped than the stock seat and I don’t have the “tale bone” issues you describe.

After looking at kxb44’s Russell it’s hard to imagine not liking the Russell seat better but the $650 price for leather is just hard to justify for me right now.

I wish there was a way to try before you buy.

I've had my 08 since 5/30, ordered the Russell in early July and should receive it this week (I hope, I hope) - If I were doing it now I would just wait until the group buy in December. . . my riding goes down considerably after Turkey Day

Thanks for the info guys... I am going to wait until my corbin comes in and see if it does the trick but after looking at the pic of the Russell I am very much wanting to just go ahead and order one.

Greg

I haven't done any of that insane Iron Butt stuff, but my Bill Mayer saddle is a major improvement over the stock seat!!!

PC070005.jpg

My bike came (second-hand) with a Corbin Canyon. I later bought one of the Corbin modular seats (just the front). Here's my take on the Corbins:

close-up-brick_~188241SDC.jpg

I got this Russell seat built last winter during the group buy. Solo, full leather, half moon pattern. I just had the rear seat recovered in leather to match.

2777142820098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

It is fantastically comfortable. They aren't kidding with their name: "Daylong" is no exaggeration. I love my seat so much that I will probably get in on the next group buy and have my passenger seat redone the same as for mine so my wife can go as long as I can between stops. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My stock seat was good for a 150 - 200 mile ride, tops. My current Sargent is good for 2 days of 500+ mile days and then no more than 300 mile days until I have a week away from it. My 3800 mile NAFO ride got painful near the homestretch. I will absolutely fucking certain for sure get a Russell on the next group buy!

And I agree with Fred on the Corbin - brick analogy from a previous bike experience. Although FJRpig does like his Corbin????

A Russell seat is a love/hate relationship.

You will first hate yourself for spending that much extra money on a seat.

But you will love yourself and think it's worth every freaking dime when you set off for a week or two.

It's just a little hate and lots of love.

A Russell seat is a love/hate relationship.
You will first hate yourself for spending that much extra money on a seat.

But you will love yourself and think it's worth every freaking dime when you set off for a week or two.

It's just a little hate and lots of love.

:lol:

You captured that perfectly. Actually, that was why I didn't get the "dual" the first time. Sticker shock. :blink:

But here is how I would do it, to get the best bang from your bucks, if I were starting over:

1) Do not waste time trying to find a cheaper seat that will work for you. It won't and you'll be wasting money trying. Don't buy used seats (even Meyers or Russells) hoping the original owner was close enough in shape to you. The odds are bad. Been There Done That. At least that wasn't expensive as I resold the seats for about the same I paid. But seats are expensive to ship around...

2) When you do order your Daylong (or Bill Mayer) don't bother upgrading to the leather cover. Get the vinyl instead. The leather is a PITA when it gets wet out and you need to cover it up. There's also extra maintenance to the leather. And while the vinyl will spring back to look like new when you climb off, the leather gets creased from your weight.

3) Don't bother with the seat heaters either. It gets pretty cold here in New Hampster, and I can attest that when you ride in the cold (especially on an FJR), it's not your ass that gets cold. Save that money for a good warm jacket, a set of heated gloves and maybe some heated socks. Hands and feet get cold, not asses.

4) If you ride longish distances 2 up, or intend to start, get the dual seat up front so you don't have to wait for the next GB like me and spend money on that seat twice. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
With less than 1K miles on my '07 (bought it 8/26), I intend to ride this one stock for a few more miles.

With that said - I will be buying a Russell Day-Long when I deploy next year (that way I won't be without the FJR while waiting for the seat).

I would gladly be in for a Russell group buy! Love everything about my 06 except for the seat...

I hope that if a buy is arranged on another board that we will hear of it here!

Ride Safe!

Don

I don't think you can go wrong with Russell or Bill Mayer but considering the great customer service I was given, better pricing, faster service and just a flat out awesome looking seat it was BMS for me...still on my break in, did a little over 200 miles yesterday and all was great.

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

I just got a Spencer rebuilt with LT option back but have not had a good run on it yet

So far it feels OK - I will be giving it a good run real soon and will let you know how it fairs out

The Spencer seat was a 10 day turn around and 1/6th the cost

later

I just got a Spencer rebuilt with LT option back but have not had a good run on it yet
So far it feels OK - I will be giving it a good run real soon and will let you know how it fairs out

The Spencer seat was a 10 day turn around and 1/6th the cost

later
I also just got my seat "spencerized" and with the LD supracore inserts. I have one on my ST1300 and have done some very long rides on it with good results. The new seat feels very good :yahoo: and cost a whopping $75 plus shipping :clapping: . I have always wanted a Russell and may get in on the group buy in Dec. if I can find a stock seat to send them. I want to keep the spencer seat just in case.

doctorj