Which Shield to Use

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violione

Sir Loin of Beef
Reaction score
Hello all,

This will be my first serious ride, about 5200 miles in 6 or 7 days and I need some insight/suggestions.

** I have a stock wind screen that I've cut down 3.25 inches to keep cool on summer rides here on the east coast of Virginia and I have a big V-Stream for cooler temps and times of the year.

** I will be riding west out to South Dakota in late July via a northerly latitude route then turning south to Colorado then heading back east in a more southern latitude route.

Which shield would you IB'ers recommend? The big V-Stream to stave off fatigue or the shorty to keep cool?

Thanks,

V.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's hard to say. Heat can fatigue you just as badly as wind buffeting.

Given the two options I may go with the shorty shield. I personally run a CB +2 +2 during the summer months and this past winter I bought a used V-Stream from a forum member which I ran during the winter. I decided to try out the V-Stream during the WORD rally to see if it was a viable year long shield, and that experiment ended with a big "Hell No!" Most of my route was in the cooler portions of Nevada and Utah, and the shield did well but I did feel a bit warm during the heat of the day. At night it was nice to have that big shield to hide behind and keep warm. On the way home I was roasting behind the V-Stream! By the time I got into AZ, I found myself standing on my pegs not to stretch my legs, but to get some F*#&king wind to cool me down!

If your still thinking of possibly using the big V-Stream. I think the best advice I could give you would be to stick the big V-Stream on a week or two before heading out and go for a 200-300 mile ride. If you can stand the heat of the V-stream, then it may be worth it for the wind protection. If you find yourself roasting behind it like I did, then you know to use the shorty.

vectervp1,

Thanks for your input. Yep it is a real toss up on which one to use. I have had the stock shield right up until about a month and a half ago and even before I cut it down the buffeting wore on me after about 400 miles (since cutting it down the buffeting has been less :glare: ).

twowheelnut,

I don't have a cooling vest but I do ride with a Cortech GX Air jacket and Feildsheer Four Seasons pant. I have one of those gel clothe neck wraps from Areostich which works great but haven't tried it behind the V-Stream.

Randy,

I thought about the Laminar Lip, but I already spent $$$ on the V-Stream.

Let me soak up a few more riders opinions here, maybe the light....er wind will hit me and make the choice of which shield would be best. Thanks again!

V.

I had problems with a tall shield and cool vest. V1 & TWN have a good point about buffeting though.

I used a tall +4+2 Cee Bailey's on a hot ride and I could not get air to hit me in the chest area where all my venting was. It went and hit me about neck high and I roasted my arse off. I'll never do that again. I'll use the stocker or custom cut one I'm doing. I've never done 5K in a week though, so you weigh your options. I was truly miserable in the 100º+ weather for 3 hours. By the time we got to our destination it was 112º and I was not in very good shape.

Good luck, ride safe.

Just use the force, luke...............

...there is.....another...............