Which throttle lock works for you?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi to all

I have been seriously think about some form of throttle lock and as we know there are plenty of options out there ie Vista,ThrottleMeister etc.Which of you guys have one on your FJR and can recommend.

Regards

Gazza
For the way that I use a throttle lock, this works perfectly Go Cruise In the past, I'd used an Audiovox CCS-100 but never liked it so when it stopped working, I just removed it rather than waste any time troubleshooting the problem and trying to fix it.

I have two bikes. I have an full featured electronic cruise control on my FJR, it costs $900 plus installation (I did it myself) and it works great. But I gather that's not what you are looking for.

I have a Throttlemeister on my other bike, a Ninja ZX 14. It replaces the bar end weights, it works by rotating the new bar end weight installed, and it gradually presses onto the throttle tube creating friction. Twisting to the limit locks the throttle. Twisting it part of the way creates friction but does not lock it, this allows me to gradually move the throttle to get the speed I want and yet not having to exert a lot of pressure, it's like softening the return spring as much or as little as you want. To me, this is a very important feature, and the Throttlemeister is not the only one that does this.

I put the throttlemeister on mine first along with a crampbuster. Works good but I think if I had it to do all over again I'd look at a vistacruise or breakaway. No disagreement that the TM looks the best.

I've since installed a CCS100 so the TM is a backup should something happen that the electronic cruise to fail.

IMO and YMMV, the throttle locks aren't that great if you're doing long stints on the freeway. They require minute adjustments all the time to maintain speed (and I live in flatland Florida) and with the TM at least, that leads to a very sore wrist/hand at the end of the day.

They are good for short/brief periods when you need to take your hand off the throttle.

Hmmmm. $20? $900? Hard to decide.

The great thing about a cruise control, to me anyway, is "ticket protection." Usually, a few mph "over," but less than ten, is safe. Set the CC for 73 in a 65 and you can usually go all day. Good to double check the real speed with a GPS, of course, and set the CC for the "real" 73. On my bike, 73 indicated is maybe 70 in fact.

But having said all that, I went for the $20 option, which is a Vista Cruise. Works perfectly, after I took a while getting it properly adjusted with tightening or loosening the tension, and I literally haven't had to touch the adjusting screw for at least this past whole year. The price I pay for using that instead of a CC is I do have to look down at the speedo regularly and fine-tune the speed, but it's no biggie. You do hear the engine note change if you're losing or gaining speed, right? I just used mine a lot on a long ride all over the Southwest on some very empty roads.

Well, SOME throttle locks are as cheap as $20, and SOME electronic cc's are as much as $900.

The Throttlemeister, Breakaway, and Madco are all over $100 which puts it in the ballpark of the popular CCS100 electronic cruise. I have 'em both so double that (still way below $900).

Of course one of the hardcore LD riders on this list did a 100CCC with only a ~$10 crampbuster...................

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, SOME throttle locks are as cheap as $20
Did you say cheap? I got the corner on cheap.
Screenshot2011-09-21at100648PM.png

Gary

darksider #44

For about $20, get one of these until you get a real cruise control. I've used mine for the last 5k miles and works good as long as you understand the limits of any throttle lock. It installs in about 5 seconds.

img0759q.jpg

You can find it here: https://www.2wheelride.com/

Edited twice because I can't spell.
Got this type as well....also with the handguards. It works ok, but for me, it's only a very temporary solution as it seems to slip pretty quick. That being said, it DOES work better than the BrakeAway it replaced. ;)

I'd like to add an electronic cruise control next year sometime.
I tried the GoCruise as well (what they call the doo-dad in the photo) and hated it. Completely worthless in my opinion (if I can find it I'll send it to the first guy who asks). I'm in the middle of a CCS-100 install right now so don't plan on testing any more of the mechanical devices.

If it hasn't been spoken for yet, I'll take it. PM me.

This is what I've been using... I took a Crampbuster and hacked a piece off with a saw. It works pretty well but takes up too much real estate on the handgrip.

P1010130.jpg

u say cheap? I got the corner on cheap.
Hmmm, this isn't recommended for bikes with OEM heated grips or Oxford heated grips. Tighten down that clamp and the heated grips will cease to be heated. Otherwise, this is a perfect piece of Redneck Engineering™.

these look interesting...

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5127/758/

https://www.kaoko.com

i've tried the throttlemeisters, quality stuff, but didn't love em

Similar in price to the Madco... which i really think look good, and i like the thumb release option.

these however install super fast... require no grip removal.

anyone tried these?
I had a Kaoko on my BMW and plan on getting another one for my FJR. Not as nice looking as the ThrottleMeister but easier to install and use. I had the ThrottleMeister on my VFR and XX and like the Kaoko better.

I blew the wad and spent $20 on the go-cruise throttle control..works fine, takes about 20 seconds to move it from bike to bike too. But it is just that, a throttle lock. I only use it for short times when I want to give the right hand a break, as unless you are on very flat slabs,your speed will vary and you will be constantly tinkering with it to get it just right otherwise. I use that little rubber thingy it came with to put around the grip. I don't get any handgrip slippage at all. Make sure and get the one for 1" grips, not the bigger one.

Hard to justify a $900+ real cruise control unless you are really, really into long distance riding on a very regular basis. But if santa installed one on my bike, I would not complain either.

Did you say cheap? I got the corner on cheap.

Gary

darksider #44

Dude! Totally time for an upgrade!

Try one of these:

one-handed-mini-bar-clamps-82.jpg

Thanks Jetpilot5... good to hear some real world feedback.

My question to you is this: in the demo video online, it looks like they are twisting the throttle well past WFO to get a "lockup" of the device...

In your experience, do you find it's as simple as they claim, in that you simply cover the lock with your grip and open the throttle and let go, or it you actually have to let go of the throttle and finger tighten the lock, similar to the throttlemeister... (if i confused you, please let me know)

I agree with Bucky... spending high cash on a CC won't happen here... not in the cards. much over $200 i'll be sticking with my go-cruise. I like it ok, but its not the look or function i'm after. i am glad i ordered the spare "friction band" as i needed it to get it to hold throttle position. with only one, it would gradually release. It is clever and worth ever penny i think

I like the vista cruise as well, have many years of experience with them on my previous bikes. that said, it looks like the best/cleanest mounting option for the VC requires me to drill a small hole in my right control housing. i'm just not there yet.

My goal is a functional/affordable/reliable lock with a set of heated grips...

i will go with OEM, HotHands with the powertroller or the AME, which look like the most current technology out there at the moment. and the price is right. I like the plug and play feature and the auto shutdown feature if your voltage goes below a fixed setting. i'm not in love with how they look however... not that this should matter much...

https://www.amegrips....ed-chicane-grip

I'd like to pair the madco lock with the ame... that is looking like an affordable and functional setup...

The Kaoko caught my eye because of how easy the install is and how it states it won't interfere with any type of heated grip setup...

My question to you is this: in the demo video online, it looks like they are twisting the throttle well past WFO to get a "lockup" of the device...

In your experience, do you find it's as simple as they claim, in that you simply cover the lock with your grip and open the throttle and let go, or it you actually have to let go of the throttle and finger tighten the lock, similar to the throttlemeister... (if i confused you, please let me know)

I agree with Bucky... spending high cash on a CC won't happen here... not in the cards. much over $200 i'll be sticking with my go-cruise. I like it ok, but its not the look or function i'm after. i am glad i ordered the spare "friction band" as i needed it to get it to hold throttle position. with only one, it would gradually release. It is clever and worth ever penny i think

I like the vista cruise as well, have many years of experience with them on my previous bikes. that said, it looks like the best/cleanest mounting option for the VC requires me to drill a small hole in my right control housing. i'm just not there yet.

My goal is a functional/affordable/reliable lock with a set of heated grips...

i will go with OEM, HotHands with the powertroller or the AME, which look like the most current technology out there at the moment. and the price is right. I like the plug and play feature and the auto shutdown feature if your voltage goes below a fixed setting. i'm not in love with how they look however... not that this should matter much...

https://www.amegrips....ed-chicane-grip

I'd like to pair the madco lock with the ame... that is looking like an affordable and functional setup...

The Kaoko caught my eye because of how easy the install is and how it states it won't interfere with any type of heated grip setup...
You may have missed it, but the second post in this thread is a link to my vista install. And many others added some great ideas on how to install one... without the drilling a hole issues.

This is a picture of my install:

bracket-websize.JPG

it's not that difficult. And honestly, I would have nothing other then a VC. The ease of use is unmatched. One can flick it on and off without changing speed on iota. No fumbling around and herky jerky at all. Don't we have enough to be concerned about without adding anything else?

It works fundamentally like the ThrottleMeister but is easier to use for a couple of reasons. The nut is a lot easier to grip and turn than the TM and the friction nut on the Kaoko grabs the entire end of the throttle, not just a small area of it like the ThrottleMeister does, so in my experience, it holds better. On my K1200S I would spin the nut with my little finger until I could start to feel some drag on the throttle, then screw it down tight enough to hold it steady. So, not quite as simple as the video demonstration, but not difficult to use at all, and not nearly as fussy to install. On my BMW it was simply unscrew the old weight and screw the Kaoko on. Less than a minute total and no messing with shims or anything. I haven't put one on my FJR yet so I can't verify that it's the same but it should be simple. The friction nut on the Koako is simply reverse threaded so that when you turn the nut back as you open the throttle, it unscrews from the bar weight and tightens down on the grip.

No problems whatsoever using it with the OEM heated grips on the BMW.