White Pine Fever

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damnation George! You gotta learn how to duck!!
Only two bird strikes for me. Can't tell you how many times I ducked behind the screen, lowering my helmet so I couldn't even see down the road, to avoid birds, and a few owls.

Knew I didn't want to hit those owls. They looked biiiiiiiiig. And they were sloooooow.
Only two? How about none. I did catch one of those kamikaze jackrabbit off my toe at 65 mph. (don't worry.....riding home with a wore out tire....not during the actual event where it was signfiicantly over 65), but only hit one bird in my 35,000 FJR miles.

....I must be doing something wrong. :glare:

You might see his wingspan of 2 or three feet, but the body is slightly bigger than a kitten.
Mind you, it's like an EXPLOSION of feathers when you hit one, no question there, but the actual body mass is, thankfully enough, quite small indeed.
Maybe the airlines don't need frozen chickens and cannons. They could just use us.

Maybe you all have a new topic to host an IB National seminar. Aviary Impact Forensics: What Endangered Bird Did I Just Explode?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to say congratulations !!! This is an awesome achievement !!! I am very envious and proud of all the riders participating, esp. skooterg and the record !!! ...and pops and I are just thinking of doing a 1500 mile day...peanuts compared to you guys...just peanuts.

What a great job by all of you and congratulations to Skooter for your achievement. I wish I hadn't come across this board too late to get in on WFO. I'd really enjoy hearing the stories and giving out kudos in person.

Bravo!

I wish I hadn't come across this board too late to get in on WFO.
Why, you are NOT too late to come to WFO-5!

We are still a week away... and Broomfield CO is just 1005 miles to Reno, so it's perfect for a SaddleSore 1000 on the way out!

C'mon down and party with us! :D

I wish I hadn't come across this board too late to get in on WFO.
Why, you are NOT too late to come to WFO-5!

We are still a week away... and Broomfield CO is just 1005 miles to Reno, so it's perfect for a SaddleSore 1000 on the way out!

C'mon down and party with us! :D
My wife lived in Broomfield for the first three months of her life, and she's going to WFO. Makes sense that you should too!

Since SkooterG's record mileage seems to be a closely guarded secret, could anyone give a hint of how far someone would have to ride in 24 hours to set a new record?

Since SkooterG's record mileage seems to be a closely guarded secret, could anyone give a hint of how far someone would have to ride in 24 hours to set a new record?
Absolutely I can give a hint.

Something more than 1800 miles.

You'd might get a different hint if you talk with a participant personally at some rally or event you also sign up for.

Absolutely I can give a hint.

Something more than 1800 miles.

You'd might get a larger hint personally (and nowhere in public) if you talk with Skooter and share how you've done 1500+ or something else to possibly take it on.

So, would 863 miles on a stock seat 2up quali.......nevermind. I can't stay up 24 hours anymore. I'd fall asleep on the bike and get closer to the desert than anyone should at that speed.

Fortunately this isn't a reading comprehension test, or some of you would fail.

From the very first post in this thread:

Note: For obvious reasons, we are not going to discuss the actual details of White Pine Fever in a public forum, nor will participants discuss them even in private email. Please don't bother to ask them. However, if you see someone wearing a White Pine Fever rallyshirt at a future gathering, you can certainly ask them questions if you like (though they may or may not answer them).

Fortunately this isn't a reading comprehension test, or some of you would fail.
From the very first post in this thread:

Note: For obvious reasons, we are not going to discuss the actual details of White Pine Fever in a public forum, nor will participants discuss them even in private email. Please don't bother to ask them. However, if you see someone wearing a White Pine Fever rallyshirt at a future gathering, you can certainly ask them questions if you like (though they may or may not answer them).
I blame public education and social promotion.... :crazy:

Unfortunately before I knew about WFO I planned another obligation that I must honor that weekend. And for that, I am also going to blame public education and social promotion. In fact the city of Broomfield has just promoted me from dead beat to derelict.

Suffice to say that I am looking forward to meeting many of the FJR members. Enough so, that I think I will eschew the FZ-1 western meet in lieu of WFO-6. And then there is the Utah 1088... I'd like to do that.

Wow. 1,800 miles in 24 hours? You guys are rock stars.

Congrats, Skooter. Sounds like an amazing ride. I'd love to hear more.

Greg,

Congrats on a spectacular accomplishment !!!! Kudos to all the rest of this years participants, especially the FJR riders!

Well done guys, an awesome feat! :clapping:

I found the description of totally empty roads hard to believe. No such thing over here in Yurrup.

(Yeah, maybe in Norway or somewhere up north)

Good pictures, too.... well done again!

Stef

Great stuff guys . As soon as a get the balls i will be trying this Ld stuff . Shit Mr G . for a burn out how do hell did you travel that far with out falling off the bike ?

SkooterG
respect.gif

(Forum masses)

Well done folks...Well done

Was honored to meet SkooterG at the WFO and hear some of the details of his legendary ride. Too bad that he can't post more specific info, however, suffice it to say that Yamaha should pay SkooterG for product endorsement, as I doubt that there's another motorcycle made that could handle what he and other's put them through in that 24 hour period. IMO Dan Gurney, Mario and competitors at the 24 hours of LaMans or Daytona, have nothing on the White Pine Fever riders.