Who served in the military

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
US Army active duty 83-94 as a 63B light wheel vehicle mechanic. Ft. Dix, Germany, Ft. Lewis, Korea, Ft. Hood, Saudi and Kuwait. Germany was the best, Korea the worst and Ft. Lewis issued my lovely wife. :D

I'm a retired Navy Chief. Was active duty from December 1980 to Jan 2003. Travelled the world over. Best duty was all of them.

Sgt U.S. Army 1974-78, 12Bravo, 9th Division, 15th combat engineer Bn, Berlin Brigade, 42nd Engineer Company.

I can't claim it but here is a shot of the license plate on Dad's FJR. Since he was a marine in Vietnam it is pretty obvious what he did most of the time. His last overseas assignment was as a door gunner on the big twin rotor Chinook. He came out an E-5 Sergeant.
IMG_2388.jpg
">

USAF Active from 88 to Present. Spent two years marching around Arlington Cemetary as Honor Guard, Security forces in Turkey and Minot ND, Defense Courier in MD, Communications in MD and DC, Attache assistant in Uganda, now Supt. in VA. 24 years and counting. Loved every min.

USAF Feb 69 Sept 71- Basic at Lackland AFB,Tech schoool Sheppard AFB,1 and 2 engine jet maintenance, Crew Chief,F4D Black Sheep Suadren(8thTFS)Holloman AFB,New Mexico-Ramstein AB Germany.

USMC 1971-1975. 6612 Avionics Tech primarily on CH-46's. Boot in PI, school in Millington TN, then New River Air Station. One Med cruise on the USS Guadalcanal in 73. Knowing what I do now, just wish I had stayed in, I truly enjoyed my times there.

USAF 1980-1992. Avionics Tech on B-52, KC-135, C-9, C-141, C-130, C-5A/B.

Unit assignments were:

97th Bomb Wing Blytheville AFB, AR

605th MASS Andersen AB, Guam

416th Bomb Wing Griffiss AFB, NY.

Last two years were special duty assignment as an Avioincs Instructor in the Air Training Command.

It was all good, but enjoyed being an instructor the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
US Army 1969 1971, Signal School, Ft. Gordon, GA then on to EUSA SGS, Seoul Korea for the last 13 months. Out as a SP5 to return to Seattle at the height of a large downturn in the economy. Went back to the Univ. of Washington to complete my BA then off to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia for 8 1/2 years of sunshine.

Our beloved Christian da Axeman...son Jordan who gave all April 22, 2008 saving 50 fellow Marines and Iraqi's from a Truck Bomb while on sentry duty with Cpl Jonathan Yale.

Both were posthumously awarded the Navy Cross, the 2nd highest award for Valor and Heroism, only the Medal of Honor is higher...

_wsb_732x609_BIObanner+copy.jpg

USMC Reserves from 1994-2002. PI Marine myself, 3533 Motor Transport Operator.

I am both happy and sad at the same time that I was never activated or deployed. I do know that my unit has been activated and deployed several times since I left though. Somehow I managed to serve in between Desert Storm and all the Post 9/11 stuff.