Who served in the military

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never had it this good in Navy barracks....
fljab, you're right about the Navy Barracks. It Sucked big time. I got sent Chanute AFB for 4 months of NDI School as an E-6. They put me in the TDY Barracks. It was palatial. Had a big room to myself and it came with made service! I couldn't believe it! Those Air Force Guys had it made. :)
I was going to enlist in the Navy until a guy I worked with heard about it. He pulled me aside and explained that in his over 20 years in the Navy he had never met an Air Force member who didn't like it and that the Air Force had better housing and facilities than any other branch of the military. Next day I visited the Air Force recruiter and the rest is history. Never did get to thank him.

Late to the game, bbut:

1976 - 1980 Army National Guard, grunt Trained at Ft Leonard Wood and Ft. Benning

1980 - 1984 USMC, Cryogenic Equipment Operator PI Marine stationed at Kaneohe MCAS 1MAR BDE H&MS-24

Just to pile onto the AF, lol. Our Marine squadron once deployed to Nellis AFB for Red Flag exercises and took up temporary residence at the "barracks" there...our jaws hit the floor. They had MAID SERVICE and carpeting!!!

I must've missed out or something, lol. My father was in the Air Force and I had planned to do the same; however, the Air Force recruiter stood me up on an appointment at our HS...at that point, a Marine recruiter sauntered in and the rest was history. :D

Just dug up some oldies...not great pics as they were photos scanned in, but WTH.

Steel Beach Day on the USS Ranger, Westpac '89

w11.gif

Russkies trailing us on our WestPac

w10.gif

Ranger's island. VF-1 and VF-2 were the Tomcat squadrons on board.

w5.gif

Yours truly by one of our birds.

me_a6.gif

When in VMFAT-101 later on, from the deck of the USS Nimitz during carrier quals with F/A-18's, me on left as FDC for our squadron with one of my guys...bracing against jet blast.

flightdk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to pile onto the AF, lol. Our Marine squadron once deployed to Nellis AFB for Red Flag exercises and took up temporary residence at the "barracks" there...our jaws hit the floor. They had MAID SERVICE and carpeting!!!

This is "piling on?" :p

You DIDN'T have maids in the Marines? God, ya poor bastards.

Probability didn't have house boys ether, talk about basic survival. How did they ever get their shoes shinned or uniforms pressed?

Probability didn't have house boys ether, talk about basic survival. How did they ever get their shoes shinned or uniforms pressed?
We often played war games with the Air Force in Korea. We were Salty Junkyard Dogs. The Air Force showed up with pressed uniforms and Fresh Mani-Peti's!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

USAF 64-68, Lowery AFB (Denver, CO.), Naha AB (Okinawa), Phu Cat AB (RVN)

1St Battalion Royal Australian Regiment(1RAR)Infantry 73-76.

Trip to Hawaii 74 hosted by 1St Battalion 14Th Infantry Golden Dragons.

O to be young again.

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:
:lol: Surly, I rememeber when the Aussies came to Okinawa for joint excerises and had a football (soccer)game with the joint US forces team. The Aussies proceeded to kick our arse while their goalie sat on the bench and drank all the beer.
Best position to play is goalie(Drinks Man)

:lol: :lol:

Good upon you airboss!

The reason the Air Force, Army, Navy and Marines bicker amongst themselves is that they don't speak the same language. For instance, take the simple phrase "secure the building".

The Army will post guards around the place.

The Navy will turn out the lights and lock the doors.

The Marines will kill everybody inside and set up a headquarters

The Air Force will take out a 5 year lease with an option to buy.

US Navy 90-94

Other than schools I was stationed in Goose Creek, SC and Guam on the USS Holland

US Navy 90-94

Other than schools I was stationed in Goose Creek, SC and Guam on the USS Holland
I was on the Proteus in Guam mid 70's -

Was Andy's hut still doing a good business when you were there? Man, I saw some fights in that place........

Oh yeah, I spent a lot of time at Amdy's Hut, lol. We replaced the Proteus when it decommed.

I went into the USAF the day I got my deploma back in 73.

San Antonio basic camp in 73.

Altus Oklahoma for 74.

Utapao Thailand for 75.

And last but not least why not Minot ND for 76-77.

As I see it, all members of the military have a job to do and we all did (and still do) it well. I appreciate and respect what the forces on the ground and on the seas do, and all kidding aside, I know they appreciate and respect what I as an AF member did in serving my country. We all needed each other at times to get things done and I can't say thanks enough.

The reason the Air Force, Army, Navy and Marines bicker amongst themselves is that they don't speak the same language. For instance, take the simple phrase "secure the building".

The Army will post guards around the place.

The Navy will turn out the lights and lock the doors.

The Marines will kill everybody inside and set up a headquarters

The Air Force will take out a 5 year lease with an option to buy.
It's a budget issue Mike, have ya checked the price of bombs lately? :rolleyes:

As I see it, all members of the military have a job to do and we all did (and still do) it well. I appreciate and respect what the forces on the ground and on the seas do, and all kidding aside, I know they appreciate and respect what I as an AF member did in serving my country. We all needed each other at times to get things done and I can't say thanks enough.
Screwball, please don't take too seriously the light hearted ribbing that goes on between the branches. That's been going on since well.......... The Revolutionary Way. :rolleyes: You need to Chill a little. :)

Here's a good story for you. Before joining the Navy, I actually tried to join the Marines Corps but I kept failing the physical. For the life of me, I just couldn't find a way to stick my head in that fucking Jar!! :lol:

Screwball, please don't take too seriously the light hearted ribbing that goes on between the branches. That's been going on since well.......... The Revolutionary Way. :rolleyes: You need to Chill a little. :)

Here's a good story for you. Before joining the Navy, I actually tried to join the Marines Corps but I kept failing the physical. For the life of me, I just couldn't find a way to stick my head in that fucking Jar!! :lol:
I hear you loud and clear majicmaker, I also tried to join the Marine Corps before finally joining the US Army. You know what disqualified me from the Marines way back in 1968? My Mother and Father were married when I was born, the Marine Recruiter said that the Corps only wanted a bunch of Son of a Bitches! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

I hear you loud and clear majicmaker, I also tried to join the Marine Corps before finally joining the US Army. You know what disqualified me from the Marines way back in 1968? My Mother and Father were married when I was born, the Marine Recruiter said that the Corps only wanted a bunch of Son of a Bitches! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!
And your Mom and Dad weren't first cousins. Yep! No way you were getting in!! Uuuuuuuu Raaaaaaaa!! :lol: