Why internet forums are so frustrating/entertaining

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I too believe that folks that don't use waterstones/PR3's/Rotella/GenII's/iridium plugs are all total morons!!

(maybe we can keep this going until Friday)

translated for FJR Forum convenience

The problem with internet tire discussions

We've all seen this. A question gets posted on the FJR Forum that asks a basic question, such as "What tire is best?" One person posts a very well-written and well-reasoned explanation as to how they go about choosing. Another person posts another tire that is just as erudite and logical. A third person weighs in with yet another method. Then the arguments start as to which tire is better. Tempers flare. Feelings get hurt. The person who originally asked the question gets confused, and asks about oil instead. Much popcorn is consumed by forum dwellers lurking on the discussion.

I've seen this FJR conversation happen many times, and it's almost always a completely civil and helpful back-and-forth....if not repetitive. Everyone gets something out of it, and we all still talk to each other afterwards. But through the magic that is the internet, this conversation often takes a turn where I'm just glad to be rid of it.

So why does this happen? Let's take the tire question mentioned above. If one took a look at the real world, this is what the tire conversation among FJR owners might look like:

moron.jpg

(The data in this chart are completely made up by me.)

In the internet world, things are quite different. The internet is great for instant communication and the ability to reach people far and wide. The downside of that is nuance is hard to transmit by words alone, and the ability to communicate quickly often comes with a lot of hastily written opinions...even if somebody ends something with a friendly emoticon to hedge their bet. As a result, what is written is often taken only at face value, feelings get hurt, leading to an overly quick response, and we're back to popcorn time again.

Because if this limitation, if someone writes a long, detailed, well-written, and logical post on an internet forum on why PR3's are the best tire around, then inevitably someone who doesn't use PR3's will easily interpret that statement like this:

pr3.jpg

Now, the person advocating for PR3 most likely doesn't see others that way, but this is often how things come across over the internet. Break out the popcorn.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't share our experiences and opinions about tires with others. One of the things that makes scrubbing away chicken strips such a rich and fascinating hobby for me is that there are so many ways of approaching the task at hand, and I try keep in mind that there's always something to be learned from riders who don't choose tires the same way that I do, and that the presence of one tires does not automatically invalidate other brands.

This is also probably why I have little patience for people who insist that there is only one tire to get. The truth that in tire choice, there often isn't a single best way of doing things. Because if there was, we'd all be riding Harleys on ME-880s.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of oil should I use on my sharpening stone?
Screw that...What kind of oil do I use on my tires? THAT'S what people need to know.
Forum member wfooshee is right now testing Yamaha 5W fork oil not only on his tires but his brakes too. Old Walt will stop at nothing during this test. Nor will be be able to turn away either.

It's amazing how many idiots and a$$holes there are on the internet, but there are a few enlightened people that agree with me. ;) :lol:

It's not just on the web.

It's a lot like asking a (fill in your own type here _________i.e. carpenter, plumber, electrician, computer tech, motorsikle mechanic, contractor, etc) to do some work for you on something another contractor worked on before them. How many times have you heard "this was done all wrong (they're morons) :rolleyes: and it needs to be redone the right way, their way, at additional cost. :huh: