Will the Droid supplant other electronic devices?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know about that.
I do - I do "this stuff" for a living.

A guy I have known for 30+ years has been at Verizon for about 12 years now. I wont say he came out and confirmed the rumor, but his "We here at Verizon do not comment on rumors" when I asked him the question about picking up the i-Phone, was delivered with a smile and a wink. After knowing him that long, I don't think he was trying to pick me up.
LOL No offense intended to your guy but, unless he's the actual president of Verizon, he doesn't know a damn thing. And neither do I. But it *is* known that to run on Verizon's network, Apple would have to come out with a completely different phone (AT&T and Verizon don't use the same network technology). And Apple has been loathe to create different devices for different situations like that.

Plus, I know "a guy" too. :)
I know a guy too! Actually all kinds of them that are buying up iPhones on the Telus and Bell networks in Canada. Both systems are the same technology as Verizons (IIRC), different than AT&T and Rogers. :)

Apple loves to do things to make more money! :)

Don't know about that.
I do - I do "this stuff" for a living.

A guy I have known for 30+ years has been at Verizon for about 12 years now. I wont say he came out and confirmed the rumor, but his "We here at Verizon do not comment on rumors" when I asked him the question about picking up the i-Phone, was delivered with a smile and a wink. After knowing him that long, I don't think he was trying to pick me up.
LOL No offense intended to your guy but, unless he's the actual president of Verizon, he doesn't know a damn thing. And neither do I. But it *is* known that to run on Verizon's network, Apple would have to come out with a completely different phone (AT&T and Verizon don't use the same network technology). And Apple has been loathe to create different devices for different situations like that.

Plus, I know "a guy" too. :)
I know a guy too! Actually all kinds of them that are buying up iPhones on the Telus and Bell networks in Canada. Both systems are the same technology as Verizons (IIRC), different than AT&T and Rogers. :)

Apple loves to do things to make more money! :)
A quick look at Telus Mobility shows that they're using the Sierra Wireless 306 Mobile Internet Key, which Sierra Wireless confirms is GSM/WCDMA - just like AT&T - and the iPhone.

I have the Droid Eris and I have the Garmin 660 with the Autocom and I can tell you this, the Droid is a good phone but it should not be used for directions unless you are in a car in a city and charging the battery. As for the battery life being short, the bluetooth being on all day really makes it hard to go through the day on a full charge. They all play very well with one another and I love my set up right now.

I have the Droid and I happen to love and use a lot for everything. Its nice to have when my son is on the house computer and I want to surf. So far I am super pleased. I think it will work as a good multifunction device for us budget minded folks. Do not think it will be a replacement for mutliple devices, but its a start in the right direction. These things keep getting better. But I do charge mine everynight. My resolution to this problem is just to keep a car charger for the phone. Even if I was on the bike. Guess I will start testing out next spring when I get a bluetooth headset for my helmet. Also I need to look into the screen protector that states you can still see you screen in direct sunlight.

Ok, I'm ready to concede. I got the HTC Touch Pro2 last week, played with it for about three days, then took it back to Verizon and got an HTC Droid. This thing is insane! I'm not sure I need my computer anymore. The Droid CRUSHES the Windows phone in both speed and capability. I'm astounded at all it can do. But with all that said, (and to echo Timberwolf's sentiments) it will be fantastic if I'm caught without my Garmin or my Sansa, but it's not going to replace either one. But this phone just flat rocks!